Are my forks F-----??? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: 2010 GSXR 600, 06 GSX-R 1000 Black/Yellow...SOLD, 06 GSX-R 600 Race Bike...SOLD
Are my forks F-----???

Need mechanical help guys... I just got my 04 600 home today and am using it as a track bike.
When I took it off the truck, rolled her in the garage, I grabbed the front brake....NO COMPRESSION
The forks have very little movement at all. Now to get them to rebound back up, I have to pull fairly hard on the bars. I took a measurement of the forks and from the 2 nuts on the bottom to the top of the gold part of the forks it is like 29 1/4 inches.(pic attached) and the arrows are pointing to where i measured. I hooked the tape under the nuts and measured to the top of the gold section.

Also when I turn the bars to the left, the left grip is pretty much coming in over the frame. The clipon does not appear to be bent. PLEASE HELP I AM STRESSING HARD.
The bike came from a guy(business) who gets the from an ins company so I don't know if he just made up the forks etc from other bikes or not. I tried to get in touch with him today but no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Expert

Re: Are my forks F-----???

looks like they are bent to me. in the first pic it looks like the tire is straight and the bars are turned to the left of the bike slightly.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Peter Kates

You bought a wrecked bike, always a gamble. Where are you from? it may be just misaligned clamps, but you should get it measured by a Computrack shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: 2010 GSXR 600, 06 GSX-R 1000 Black/Yellow...SOLD, 06 GSX-R 600 Race Bike...SOLD

I am in Nova Scotia Canada. There is nothing remotely close here. The closest place for me to go would be Maine or Boston areas, and that's just a mission. What is the procedure for aligning the clamps? Thanx for your help!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Amateur

remove the froks and clamps and send me the assembly with the axle $100 to align off the bike.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: kevinr

Quote:
remove the froks and clamps and send me the assembly with the axle $100 to align off the bike.
That's $50 less than the GMD near me (which is no longer GMD) charged me to straighten just the lower tripple!

Isn't it highly likely that the frame is also bent considering those are USD forks? I guess it all depends on how the bike was crashed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600 ?????

Quote:
Quote:
That's $50 less than the GMD near me (which is no longer GMD) charged me to straighten just the lower tripple!

Isn't it highly likely that the frame is also bent considering those are USD forks? I guess it all depends on how the bike was crashed.
HA HA you spent $ at MPH
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Amateur

Quote:
HA HA you spent $ at MPH
Yea, Doug and I are starting an endurance team this year. He is going to run 1hr 20min then me for 20 minutes and then him for the rest of the ride. We are going to use an AMA Superbike.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Quote:

Clamps bend in sets. You can not bend a lower wth out bending the upper or vise-versa.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Amateur

Quote:

Clamps bend in sets. You can not bend a lower wth out bending the upper or vise-versa.
That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that. I always thought that the lower triple was softer and bent more easily. The triple and forks were purchased off of ebay after the accident because it was clear mine were bent. The top triple remains on the bike to this day (it will be 3 years this July).

Anyway I hope the bike is straight now. I have a friend with the same bike and we both had our frames straightened at the same shop (he got the sweet numbers). Since we have close to the same suspension now it will be interesting to see if our bikes handle somewhat the same this year.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Quote:

That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that. I always thought that the lower triple was softer and bent more easily. The triple and forks were purchased off of ebay after the accident because it was clear mine were bent. The top triple remains on the bike to this day (it will be 3 years this July).

Anyway I hope the bike is straight now. I have a friend with the same bike and we both had our frames straightened at the same shop (he got the sweet numbers). Since we have close to the same suspension now it will be interesting to see if our bikes handle somewhat the same this year.

The clamps are fixed together with the forks and the stem, you can't bend one with out the other unless the forks and/or stem bend in between them which is very unlikely. So both the clamps bend, but the upper takes more of a set, because it's thinner and usually only has one pinch bolt. The lower clamp usually spings back a little better, but they still bend in pairs.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:48 PM
Track Day Winner

In the above situation if I get another front assembly this should resolve the bent forks issues correct? I would think the forks plus brackets would bend but less likely the neck of the frame itself but wanted some others input.

Appreciate the help!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

12 yr old thread revival. Is that a record? Fucking 18s

Post up some pics from various angles if you want input.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
12 yr old thread revival. Is that a record? Fucking 18s

Post up some pics from various angles if you want input.
Okay - here are some pics, I can take the fairings off later but to help explain the right fork seems to always been like .25in in front of the left fork. I have already taken the wheel off to have it checked and balanced and they said it was fine. I also replaced the wheel spindle to see if that was bent. I have also tried adjusting the lower and upper triple clamps a few times but it still seems slightly off.... any ideas? I am about to just install another front assembly (complete with straight upper and lower triple clamps to see if it resolves the issue but it just seems weird).

Has anyone else experienced this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181031_084143_s.jpg (401.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20181031_084154_s.jpg (493.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20181031_084204_s.jpg (453.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20181031_084226_s.jpg (477.8 KB, 4 views)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 AM
Track Day Winner

Okay - I messed up on trying to resize the photos.... will try again later>>>
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Track Day Winner

Let me try this again,....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181031_084143.jpg (1.50 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20181031_084154.jpg (1.59 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20181031_084204.jpg (1.56 MB, 1 views)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Track Day Winner

I will probably have to take the fairings off this weekend to post some better pics but the left side seems a little forward and the right a little back, not sure if I am crazy but trying to figure of the best way to check. Maybe I will just disassembly them front end and roll them on a table to see if any bends? Open to any wisdom...?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:26 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

Forks usually get bent from a hard head-on impact like a wall or car. IE both forks will be bent towards the rear or the frame itself is bent, which is more common since USDs became the norm.

I cannot imagine a scenario (besides improper assembly) that would result in forks being tweaked in opposite directions.

Are you sure your upper & lower triples aren't just misaligned? THAT would result in what you describe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode