K7 750 turn in - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Squid

K7 750 turn in

Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I have just bought a K7 750 track bike, I had it on track yesterday and I have a problem.

It takes quite a lot of effort to turn the bike and when i do it Ďfallsí so fast and turns so quick I often had to lift the bike up mid turn to reach the apex.

I hope you understand what I mean and can offer some advise to give it a more smooth turn in feel, I was struggling to get within 4/5 seconds of my usual lap times.

The front forks have Ktech internals and the rear shock has been worked on albeit for the previous owner who was about the same weight. The forks are level with the yokes.

I am running slicks with quite an aggressive profile but Iím not new to riding on slicks so I know itís not just this.

Thanks
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 03 GSXR 1000
Re: K7 750 turn in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Balfour View Post
Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I have just bought a K7 750 track bike, I had it on track yesterday and I have a problem.

It takes quite a lot of effort to turn the bike and when i do it ‘falls’ so fast and turns so quick I often had to lift the bike up mid turn to reach the apex.

I hope you understand what I mean and can offer some advise to give it a more smooth turn in feel, I was struggling to get within 4/5 seconds of my usual lap times.

The front forks have Ktech internals and the rear shock has been worked on albeit for the previous owner who was about the same weight. The forks are level with the yokes.

I am running slicks with quite an aggressive profile but I’m not new to riding on slicks so I know it’s not just this.

Thanks
M
You're supposed to introduce yourself first lol..but I'll try to help you out.

Those are sweet handling bikes so it's either a mechanical problem or improper set-up. or perhaps the bike is tweaked in some way (hope Not)

Have you ridden with this tire before? Maybe you need some time with them. What is the tire? What was the pressure ? Are they a used set ? Check for possible leaks... What is your level ?

Assuming the tires are matched and balanced properly....

If all OK, check the front end.

1) remove steering damper if you have one and check that it has good movement.

2) Raise the front wheel so the bars are free to turn. check that it turns freely with no play. If free play, adjust. if hard to turn, dissemble inspect steering stem bearings. Use torque wrench when re tightening

3) If all that OK. Loosen Triple clamp pinch bolts, axle pinch bolts and re tighten to factory spec using torque wrench.
these are very important: must not be over tightened. 16.5 ft lbs for all

4) check chain alignment/ check all motor mounts also.

Set-up>>

Sounds like suspension is upgraded
1) has it been serviced recently?
2) have you set it up? Sag etc.
If unsure of damping settings, start soft and work up.

provide a picture so we can get an idea of condition.

Last edited by Gixan; 07-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Set up your suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Set up your suspension.
That's wise of you to be so brief Nick, cause could be a "One Post Wonder"

we will see
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixan View Post
You're supposed to introduce yourself first lol..but I'll try to help you out.

Those are sweet handling bikes so it's either a mechanical problem or improper set-up. or perhaps the bike is tweaked in some way (hope Not)

Have you ridden with this tire before? Maybe you need some time with them. What is the tire? What was the pressure ? Are they a used set ? Check for possible leaks... What is your level ?

Assuming the tires are matched and balanced properly....

If all OK, check the front end.

1) remove steering damper if you have one and check that it has good movement.

2) Raise the front wheel so the bars are free to turn. check that it turns freely with no play. If free play, adjust. if hard to turn, dissemble inspect steering stem bearings. Use torque wrench when re tightening

3) If all that OK. Loosen Triple clamp pinch bolts, axle pinch bolts and re tighten to factory spec using torque wrench.
these are very important: must not be over tightened. 16.5 ft lbs for all

4) check chain alignment/ check all motor mounts also.

Set-up>>

Sounds like suspension is upgraded
1) has it been serviced recently?
2) have you set it up? Sag etc.
If unsure of damping settings, start soft and work up.

provide a picture so we can get an idea of condition.
Thanks for the advice, I bought the bike and brought straight onto track without getting to check it over. Iíll get the front end stripped, checked and torqued up and see how that goes..maybe there will be something obvious.

I know I need to set up the suspension to suit me, and I can usually sort out the easy stuff myself with a bit of tweaking on preload, comp and rebound..I was think more about the geometry being out? Iíve read Gixxerís of this age respond well to being lifted up front and rear?

Regarding introducing myself, my name is Mark..Iím 45 years old and fast as fast fuck seriously, Iíve been riding bikes since I was 8 years old..racing up until I was 30ish and track daying up until about 5 years ago. I would consider myself fairly experienced and fast compared to the average Joe but slow as a snail compared to Mark Marquez..top end of fast group on track.

Iím writing this from work but when I get home and into the garage Iíll find out more, I think if memory serves me right they are Metzler racetec slicks on 180x60 on rear but Iíll confirm.

Iíll see can I get a few pics up later too

Thanks again and help is greatly appreciated

PS I think Iíve attached a picture of me at Portimao track last October..styles a bit old school but Iím too old and stiff for the latest head down stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ADDC934-B7E7-4EAC-A1AE-A256892F362B.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	558666  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Maybe a two post wonder?

I think I have it sussed, the front forks just had a service. They are ktech 20mm cartridge kit..preload has 18mm of adjustment and they had been set at just 2mm

Iíve adjusted it to a more appropriate level of sag and Ďfeelí on the old bounce on the forks method. By contrast the rear was very hard..so I assume with the setup the front was compressing and staying compressed too long, hence stepening the steering angle forcing the bike to turn too much.

I have her much more balanced now, Iíll know if I have her sorted next time Iím out.

M
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Balfour View Post
Maybe a two post wonder?

I think I have it sussed, the front forks just had a service. They are ktech 20mm cartridge kit..preload has 18mm of adjustment and they had been set at just 2mm

Iíve adjusted it to a more appropriate level of sag and Ďfeelí on the old bounce on the forks method. By contrast the rear was very hard..so I assume with the setup the front was compressing and staying compressed too long, hence stepening the steering angle forcing the bike to turn too much.

I have her much more balanced now, Iíll know if I have her sorted next time Iím out.

M
Splendid !

Was there some specific reason you did not attempt to make improvements at the track ?

You should still still check all the other stuff mentioned above.

Thx for avoiding OPW status lol.

g
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixan View Post
Splendid !

Was there some specific reason you did not attempt to make improvements at the track ?

You should still still check all the other stuff mentioned above.

Thx for avoiding OPW status lol.

g
Yes buddy that is the question..why the heck I didnít give the bike a better inspection on the track day..tbh I think I was just so excited to finally get back on track with my buddies I just wanted as much bike time between the showers we had.

Anyway, Iím back out again on the 3rd August so Iíll let you know how I get on
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Attachment 558714
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_214848_1564150580057.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	558718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_084258_799_1564150598166.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	558720  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode