suspension/setup advise - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

suspension/setup advise

I just bought a mint 05 750. The bike had been lowered.It has the adjustable lowering link in the rear set at position 2 which im assuming is a two inch lower.The triple trees have been dropped so there is 1 inch of fork tube above the triple tree.The guy I purchased it from rode it 8 years like this and said he thought it handled fine. I am about 5'10" and Im not going to lie its nice to sit flat footed when backing it up or at a stop.I am not a very aggressive rider in the twisties and I prolly never will be. I thought I had read if your going to lower a bike it should be equal front and back so im thinking if I keep it lowered I should move the link to position 1 so its lowered 1 inch in the rear.Do any of you guys have a suggestion about that?.The other thing I wanted to ask and I know ill be burnt at the stake for this one is if I keep it lowered with 1"of fork tube above triple tree,is it possible to move the clip-ons above the triple tree without clearance problems to give the bike a slightly more up right position? I don't really want to spend 300 on heli bars if this idea would work.My thinking is the bike will be lowered 1"front and back so geometry will not change and other than looking goofy to some with bars on top the riding position will be somewhat more comfortable.Am I wrong?

Last edited by scoottruth; 03-04-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: suspension/setup advise

the link is a sle..thanks in advance for help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5326.jpg (109.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5346.jpg (42.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5345.jpg (67.5 KB, 5 views)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Nice bike man! If you want my advice, raise it up as much as you can back to stock. Don't assume any of the positions on that link will bring you back to stock height, get a manual. If that was messed with then I bet the rest of the suspension setting need to be fixed too. Get you sag settings correct and get your rebound, compression, preload settings fixed too. At least get it safe to ride. If your not concerned with performance move the clip-ons and leave the bike lowered if that's what you like. It's your bike after all!!!!

Talk is Cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Why would you buy a supersport if you're just going to alter it to be a cruiser? There are plenty of standard bikes, like the FZ1 or Z1000 or B-King, that have more power than that bike with a comfortable position.
If I were you, I would raise it to stock height. At 5'10 you should be able to flat-foot the bike, and you won't have to worry about a tank-slapper or bottoming out because you messed up the suspension. If you want to keep it lowered, bring it to a suspension shop that can check the rake and trail and set it up properly for you at that height.

2006 GSXR "250" with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. 162whp, 77ft-lb. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

yah nick,like I said bought the bike that way,just trying to figure out what to do before the snow melts,but back to your question,because I love the way it looks and I don't want a standard,kinda like the guy that lifts his truck but it will never see the dirt or when a fat chick wears yoga pants,its all about what you think is cool right?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

well last night had fun playing around with it while it was snowing,for those of you who might have wonderd you cant put clip ons above triple clamp without some mods.I just put it all back to stock,fortunately the previous owner gave me everything to put back to stock including kickstand.I ended up being fine to flatfoot at stock height and peace of mind its back to how it was engineered is important too.Ill just go helibars if I think its uncomfortable
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The bike wasn't built for comfort. Do you know why it was lowered? Looks? Drag racing on the weekend?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

It's true these bikes weren't designed for comfort, in that comfort in itself wasn't a main objective, but they were designed to be precisely controllable and there's so much precision you can have, if you're barely hanging on, all cramped up, with your extremities at unnatural angles. Ergonomics is therefore important and so, by extension, I don't think they were designed to be uncomfortable either.

Ergonomics, (which is one way of defining comfort,) depends on the rider as much as it depends on the bike though. Perhaps a bigger difference, with respect to "comfortable" bikes, is that they weren't designed to be intuitively ergonomic, meaning that you can't expect to just jump on them and feel right at home, based on your experience of sitting on chairs and couches. You have to adapt to the machine in ways that may not be immediately obvious. I've been riding my current bike for more than 5 years now, but after swapping it for a touring bike for a month or so, and getting back on it, the sitting position felt so weird, that I was actually a bit nervous while riding it home. I had to ride it for a couple of days, until my body (meaning my brain really) adapted and I felt right at home once more. For a rider new to this type of machine, it's naturally going to take longer than that (and it might never happen, if adapting to the machine isn't actively pursued).

As a more concrete example, I haven't seen a rider, new to supersports, ride one for more than a day, for the first time and not getting sore wrists. I also don't remember anyone, not attributing it to the "uncomfortable" (which really means "uncomfortable-looking, based on past experience of what comfort looks like") sitting arrangement. But sore wrists are a sign that you're supporting your weight on the grips, which are there for control, not support and the upshot is that you'll need to support your weight otherwise. Your core muscles are a large part of the solution, so there'll be some discomfort there, but even if the body position were more upright, you'd have to support all of you upper body weight through your lower back, so the discomfort would merely migrate there. (By way of illustration, try sitting on a backless chair for half an hour.)

In the end, I'm not sure whether most bikes can be comfortable, at least not if the word isn't taken too seriously. They can be ergonomic though.
MacBayne likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Dave I believe bike was originally lowered for rider height as he was about 5'7" but he had also mentioned he liked the lowered look.After putting back to stock I actually like the looks of it at stock height better.Papavas totally agree with you on giving your body time to acclimate to bike,thats why I finally put back to stock because I need to ride it first at stock height and settings before making changes.I never had problems with my cbr but had to put helis on my 996 hopefully the gsxr will be fine
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

As other mentioned, a sport bike is probably not the right choice for either you or the previous owner for your intended usage. Possibly a sport tourer or standard type bike would be a better fit, both for comfort and riding style. Lowering a sport bike (unless its being used as a drag bike) is akin to doing this....

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 AM
Cranky Admin

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

@SPL170db
The chrome sidepipes really add the finishing touch!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

That Vette can't be real!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Greetings. Thoughts from a new GSXR 750 owner. Owned KZ750ltd and ZRX1200. Currently own FJR1300 and SV650. Been shopping a GSXR 750 for the last 2 years.

Picked up a 2011 last month and took it around the block before I put it up on stands for some work and upgrades. My head felt like a bowling ball on a toothpick for the first 10 minutes and then my shoulders started to cramped up. Kept sliding up and down on the seat and could not get the bike to take the turns correctly. Mid and lower back was just screaming for me to stop and get off. Thought I made a huge mistake.

One month later and after putting on Spieglers, rebuilding the calipers, repacking the Yosh, new race pads, flushing out radiator, adding StompGrips, new plugs and adding 20 lbs of air in the front and rear tires, the bike was a different beast. Plus I spent the past 4 weeks doing a ton of lunges, squats, back stretches, planks and burpees. This next ride went for an hour and was total bliss on wheels. Wow. Absolutely stunning bike and looking forward to every other ride.

Call me crazy but was thinking about getting an older model GSXR1000 and adding LSL conversion & tuner to save cost over the newer naked sport bikes. Man, have you priced the new S1000Rs, Tuonos and MT10s? Yikes.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hey chubby chaser chower or whatever,thanks for reading my post,like it says I bought it that way and I put it back to stock.I don't want a standard otherwise I would of bought one as I have had both.This is what I love about these sites,you make a post thinking youll get some advise from people that have been there and done that and can give you solid advise like Revster but usually its a bunch of know it alls that think their adam sandler and prolly ride like him too
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:15 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

What the fuck are you on about?
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
My advice was not good?😢
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 PM
Cranky Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoottruth View Post
Hey chubby chaser chower or whatever,thanks for reading my post,like it says I bought it that way and I put it back to stock.I don't want a standard otherwise I would of bought one as I have had both.This is what I love about these sites,you make a post thinking youll get some advise from people that have been there and done that and can give you solid advise like Revster but usually its a bunch of know it alls that think their adam sandler and prolly ride like him too
You'd be better off on gsxr.com......
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

OP- "Hey guys, I bought a lowered bike! If I keep it lowered, I heard that 'X' is the way to go. Do any of you guys have a suggestion about that?"

GDC- "Lowered SS bikes are stupid."

OP- "Fucking fuckers and Adam Sandler fucks fuckers, too!"
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:34 PM
Cranky Admin

And now SPL has to change his title to chubby chower
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post

And now SPL has to change his title to chubby chower

Chubby Chaser was a colloquialism for trying to keep up with Bob on the racetrack if I recall correct

Chubby Chower though.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode