Stripped Rear axle and nut threads wtf - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: L2 Gixxer 1000
Stripped Rear axle and nut threads wtf

Hey guys got a L2 1000 with 12k on it and was pulling rear tire off otherday to replace tire and soon i hit the 36mm axle nut it was alot tighter and harder to turn than normal , it spun off after few good cranks with the power handle . Afterwords cleaned threads and nut up and re installed but would not tighten up fully than removed and done again but no go . I only use hand tools on it as i adjusted my chain and stuff month ago with no issues at all . U used a 1/2" drive torque wrench and 36mm axle socket too torque it down too 73 lbs . And all sudden this happens other day like WTF . Never used impact on it or anything just hand tools and last time the nut went on no problem and smooth .

So is this a common thing With these bikes ? Anyone else have any issues like this? Could my torque wrench be off i wonder , or did i miss something ? I made sure spacers and all were in properly as well. Also Can these axles and nuts be re tapped .cause im serching online now for a axle and nut but if i can salvage this one that be better

I bought this bike 5 months ago and its the first bike i decided too do all work myself as my last bike last year was a k6 600 Which i took too dealer and waisted lots money and down time do too getting bike in so now im doing my own work and took the labor costs and bought my own bike tools .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750, 2012 zx6r
Garage
Re: Stripped Rear axle and nut threads wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner001 View Post
Hey guys got a L2 1000 with 12k on it and was pulling rear tire off otherday to replace tire and soon i hit the 36mm axle nut it was alot tighter and harder to turn than normal , it spun off after few good cranks with the power handle . Afterwords cleaned threads and nut up and re installed but would not tighten up fully than removed and done again but no go . I only use hand tools on it as i adjusted my chain and stuff month ago with no issues at all . U used a 1/2" drive torque wrench and 36mm axle socket too torque it down too 73 lbs . And all sudden this happens other day like WTF . Never used impact on it or anything just hand tools and last time the nut went on no problem and smooth .

So is this a common thing With these bikes ? Anyone else have any issues like this? Could my torque wrench be off i wonder , or did i miss something ? I made sure spacers and all were in properly as well. Also Can these axles and nuts be re tapped .cause im serching online now for a axle and nut but if i can salvage this one that be better

I bought this bike 5 months ago and its the first bike i decided too do all work myself as my last bike last year was a k6 600 Which i took too dealer and waisted lots money and down time do too getting bike in so now im doing my own work and took the labor costs and bought my own bike tools .

Thanks
Huh, never had an issue like this with my 750 or any of my bikes at that....Axles w/nuts can be found pretty cheap on eBay I'd just pick up a new one if I were you. Beats trying to fix the threads an such on the one you have now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Provisional Novice

my 17 is making aluminum powder every time I adjust it which has been like 5x since I got it and its got 110 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

I bet a Kitkat bar that you are missing a spacer, OP. Look it up in the manual or on the parts fiche.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner001 View Post

Thanks
I had a similar issue with my L1 750. Nut wouldn't break loose then when it finally did it would just spin. Had to cut it off with a dremel. I know I had it torqued to spec. Ended up with a new axle and nut from eBay and now I always use a dab of anti-seize.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks guys , yeah it seems not that common issue but i bought used axle and nut off ebay cheap and works great now but i did make sure all spacers and everything were in and its the self locking 36 mm Nuts they use im thinking last time i put it on might been some dirt or somethig may have been in the self locking tabs or something on the threads of axle cause i put just a little bit of bearing grease on the axle before i installed it that time and could have made dirt or something get lodged in the threads and dried up or something cause i scrub and full detail my bike every week lol which is a habit also could have played a roll in it . So i just use the old axle now to balance my rear wheels on jack stands lol which worked perfect lol instead taking it too shop too pay them
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Provisional Novice

Personally, I use anti-seize grease on lug nuts, axle nuts, and spark plugs. I've been doing this for many years and nothing's ever come loose. By allowing the threads to move smoothly, you spread the pressure out evenly and don't get local spots taking too much pressure. That, and don't over-torque it. Should be 72 ft-lb. Someone may have over-tightened it in the past, thus weakening the threads.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbike Racer View Post
Personally, I use anti-seize grease on lug nuts, axle nuts, and spark plugs. I've been doing this for many years and nothing's ever come loose. By allowing the threads to move smoothly, you spread the pressure out evenly and don't get local spots taking too much pressure. That, and don't over-torque it. Should be 72 ft-lb. Someone may have over-tightened it in the past, thus weakening the threads.
Thats what i was thinking too that prev owner may have over torqued the nut at least once in past . So far after replacing the axle and nut and few tire changes all good i just make sure threads are super clean and always put 72 flbs on it most . So far so good . I ended up picking up used extra front and rear axle with nuts from ottawa back in the sept just to have for spares especially after stripping the old one and lost week or more of good bike weather at the time just from having to order from ebay . Cause here in Cape breton its hard to find these kinda parts especially for newer bikes .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode