• 1 Post By pixelplay
  • 1 Post By pixelplay
  • 1 Post By pixelplay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Gsxr 1000 k2 weirdness?????

Do not seem to be able to ride fully upright but can ride in a straightline?????

I once had this sort of issue with a previous bike had it checked out and found bike straight so thought it was me. This time its the bike. Found handlebars mismatch to front wheel. When bars straight wheel off to the left. Loosened off all but top fork pinch bolts and bounced front end to straighten - did not work - included lower triple tree pinch bolts, mudguard mounts, front axle pinch bolts, front axle and caliper mounts, top nut also, even removed calipers all TNA.

As above tried to twist bars to match wheel seemed to work then sprang back to incorrect position.

Refitted previous forks same symptoms????

Bike passed MOT when first bought bike with original forks so expected bike straight then since then fitted another set of forks and I have not fallen off so hoping something strange but fixeable?

Any help and advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:47 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Gsxr 1000 k2 weirdness?????

Do you need to apply constant pressure to the bars, in order to go straight? If it was just that the clipons were not properly aligned, but the front frame was otherwise fine, you should be able to go straight and upright, as long as you keep in mind not to force the bars straight. In other words, the bike should want to go straight when ridden hands-off at some speed. (Do not try this with a suspect frame though, or, at least, let go of the bars very slowly and cautiously and keep your hands really close).

If the bike wants to turn and you need to apply pressure, in order to go straight, then something must be misaligned in the front frame. In any case, going straight at a lean is physically impossible, as far as I can see, unless you're riding on a banked road where's it's necessary. The only force that could possibly balance out gravity and keep you from falling over, would be a sideforce at the wheels, which would make you deviate from a straight path. The only way I can think of, to (seemingly) go straight at a lean, would be for both wheels to be misaligned with the frame, having the proper amount of lean.

I find it more likely, that something else is going on though. Perhaps the front wheel's axis is not entirely horizontal for some reason?
oldninjaron likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 06 Suzuki GSXR750 and Honda CBR400RR NC29
Garage

I have seen that issues a number of times and it was always the triple tree clamp being slightly bent, usually from an impact. As soon as you fit a new set of clamps the bikes rides and feels totally neutral and so much better to ride. It is possible to have the fork legs skewed a little also but that's not normally the issue and from the way, you are talking I would bet that it's the triple clamps that are bent.
oldninjaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Yes its all pretty weird but as I say it is extremely noticeable that from front with bars straight - top yoke conversion to allow flat bars although I have Raask copies of Jota bars fitted, extremely adjustable - front wheel off to the left.

Having tried all above it occurred to me that with front wheel removed fit axle and try and measure etc. Bike has GSXR 1000 K3/4 forks fitted by previous owners as a Streetfighter, god forbid it has incorrect spacers etc because have no problems fitting forks through yokes and axle through wheel and forks?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelplay View Post
I have seen that issues a number of times and it was always the triple tree clamp being slightly bent, usually from an impact. As soon as you fit a new set of clamps the bikes rides and feels totally neutral and so much better to ride. It is possible to have the fork legs skewed a little also but that's not normally the issue and from the way, you are talking I would bet that it's the triple clamps that are bent.
It is getting very frustrating to imagine how it could happen, this problem. I guess if one side clamps ary that might explain why forks fit as normal but not so badly damaged that axle can still fit - must admit that has been bugging me that despite good fit of these still have the problem even with all but top pinch bolts loosened?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
Do you need to apply constant pressure to the bars, in order to go straight? If it was just that the clipons were not properly aligned, but the front frame was otherwise fine, you should be able to go straight and upright, as long as you keep in mind not to force the bars straight. In other words, the bike should want to go straight when ridden hands-off at some speed. (Do not try this with a suspect frame though, or, at least, let go of the bars very slowly and cautiously and keep your hands really close).

If the bike wants to turn and you need to apply pressure, in order to go straight, then something must be misaligned in the front frame. In any case, going straight at a lean is physically impossible, as far as I can see, unless you're riding on a banked road where's it's necessary. The only force that could possibly balance out gravity and keep you from falling over, would be a sideforce at the wheels, which would make you deviate from a straight path. The only way I can think of, to (seemingly) go straight at a lean, would be for both wheels to be misaligned with the frame, having the proper amount of lean.

I find it more likely, that something else is going on though. Perhaps the front wheel's axis is not entirely horizontal for some reason?
Believe you me its very strange - I cannot guarantee road perfectly level. I can ride level I guess if I pull extra on left side of bars but then that feels odd as you feel strange sitting on seat level - I have no problem with the bends especially right hand, of course?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:38 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

yeah its odd but trust me the forks will fit but the metal, the clamps made from can get warped if the bikes been dropped and the front hit anything at all. Also, the fork's don't need to be bent much for that uneasy feeling when riding. You can remove the front wheel and forks and a decent shop can check the fork's right down to a few thou for straightness and then also get the wheel checked, check all bearings in the wheel and then once you have confirmed those are not the issue then you need to check the headstock bearings are not loose of notched and if they are fine then remove the triple clamps and replace them with a set of decent ones that you know are good. It's amazing how different the bike feels with a small imperfection in anything to do with steering geometry yet once corrected the bikes will feel awesome to ride once again.

The upper and lower clamps can get out of line with each other if it's had a frontal hit but generally, the bottom clamp is the issue. I know because I used to buy smashed bikes and turn them into track bikes all the time and have felt first hand what you're describing.
oldninjaron likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Thanks for the help and info. Just a question though are there any other models that share the same upper/lower clamps just so I can broaden my search? There are a set of new clamps on "fleabay" but the gent seems a little confused - 2001-2003 GSXR 750 same as 2001-2002 GSXR 1000? I get the impression that forks the same on these models but clamps only compatible if changed as matched pair?

Last edited by oldninjaron; 08-05-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Mistake
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Unhappy Re: Gsxr 1000 k2 weirdness?????

Quote:
yeah its odd but trust me the forks will fit but the metal, the clamps made from can get warped if the bikes been dropped and the front hit anything at all. Also, the fork's don't need to be bent much for that uneasy feeling when riding. You can remove the front wheel and forks and a decent shop can check the fork's right down to a few thou for straightness and then also get the wheel checked, check all bearings in the wheel and then once you have confirmed those are not the issue then you need to check the headstock bearings are not loose of notched and if they are fine then remove the triple clamps and replace them with a set of decent ones that you know are good. It's amazing how different the bike feels with a small imperfection in anything to do with steering geometry yet once corrected the bikes will feel awesome to ride once again.

The upper and lower clamps can get out of line with each other if it's had a frontal hit but generally, the bottom clamp is the issue. I know because I used to buy smashed bikes and turn them into track bikes all the time and have felt first hand what you're describing.
Well took another look today. Took front wheel off and whether wheel fitted or not or axle fitted or not forks remain twisted away from handlebars to the left when viewed from front. No amount of persuasion could correct this as soon as persuasion released error returned.

With spirit level close to bottom rotated forks until level, double checked measurements both sides to rider footrests, equal but handlebars skewed to right as seen from front. Issue not caused by wheel etc or forks as exactly same with both sets of forks. That only leaves frame and yokes - new full set of yokes enroute, headrace bearings needed yet.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Woke up early this am with an idea. Set up forks perpendicular to frame as above, on front stand so weight of bike supported - marked position on ground. I then removed both forks and set handlebars in line with forks so both yokes independent of forks. I then attempted to refit forks - impossible with out twisting handlebars away from true giving us the original problem - wish I could get yokes here quicker.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

yeah it's a typical bent yokes issue, strangely enough, some people have a small accident get the forks fixed or replaced and the wheel repaired or replaced and then the bike never rides correctly and they just give up and keep riding it with the yokes bent The end result is the next owner ends up with the issue and it's an odd one to solve if you have not seen it before. I have a feeling that many of the yokes over those years 600,750,1000 are all the same provided the fork diameter is the same and I think it is. Often a manufacturer will use some common parts to save on tooling costs over a number of years.

I bet you can look up the part numbers and then compare them over the years by models and years. will be interesting to see how different your baby feels with new yokes and good for other people to read about who have similar issues in future.
oldninjaron likes this.

4 wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
yeah it's a typical bent yokes issue, strangely enough, some people have a small accident get the forks fixed or replaced and the wheel repaired or replaced and then the bike never rides correctly and they just give up and keep riding it with the yokes bent The end result is the next owner ends up with the issue and it's an odd one to solve if you have not seen it before. I have a feeling that many of the yokes over those years 600,750,1000 are all the same provided the fork diameter is the same and I think it is. Often a manufacturer will use some common parts to save on tooling costs over a number of years.

I bet you can look up the part numbers and then compare them over the years by models and years. will be interesting to see how different your baby feels with new yokes and good for other people to read about who have similar issues in future.
Wise words my friend and so true. I have inherited a few nasties by the looks of it wiring extended for flat bars that left me stranded a few miles away, Yamaha flasher unit for indicators that were not meant for led types. Crap radiator cover that threatened to wreck cabling, possible, at worst bent forks - and this, whatever next, who knows.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

hahaha yeah, we all have had at least one bike like that. Just got to keep working through the issues until they are all resolved. The flasher issues can be easily fixed by using a couple of resistors in the circuit. The flasher will see the LEDs as being almost not there at all as they don't draw enough load to charge the flasher unit. A couple of resistors adds load into the circuit and then the flasher will work correctly instead of working like indicators from a joker bike. The other fix, of course, is to change the flasher unit to a different one that can handle low loads.

Your bike sounds like my Honda Project bike, it must have sat by the seaside most its life it's got that much rust and corroded parts it hard to know where to begin. (I started repairing the forks, in the end, seemed sensible to me)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_104804.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	517338  
oldninjaron likes this.

4 wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Just bought new yokes off ebay for my GSXR 1000 K2 - gent was not sure of match. Yokes fit my forks, K4, stem correct length but narrower diameter so my original stem nut too large?

Good news my front wheel/forks/bars all line up now just need to finish job.

Are these GSXR 750 yokes, maybe K2?

Any guidance here would be much appreciated as need to buy nut and washer too fit not sure what to order?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Did you get it sorted in the end?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Finally got bike back together last night for a short ride in the fog - visibility v poor but bike now very stable and everything straight.

Few delays on the way - bought new old yokes off ebay that finally worked out to be original GSXR 1000 K2, those fitted were K3/4 with different diameter yoke stem, previous owner had replaced complete front from K3/4 - needed new stem nut.

My original yoke had larger diameter stem hole so ordered another, including clamps for refit of my Raask copies of Jota bars - not surprisingly caused confusion so will not be taking delivery for another few days - ordered for K2. Found some original clip-on bars for now.

Delays allowed me to source a real classy second hand Yoshi TRS tri-oval can and mid-pipe, now fitted, also just arrived some OEM late GSXR, new, Brembo calipers.

Thanks for all help and interest hope this helps others.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:58 AM
Squid

Well here we go again. I am convinced bottom yokes on these bikes are very fragile and really not good enough for my local roads. After all this time symptom is back although nowhere near as obvious to the eye.
Checked all the usual alignment at the rear all spot on, back wheel aligned spot on to the swinging arm and frame. When wheel straight at the front right hand handlebar further back than left, twisted yoke. Did all the usual front alignment checks/reset. Never been off the bike just rode local roads within 80 miles. Nearest home v bumpy, furthest away much better although there are a couple of pot holes etc.
So bottom yoke has lasted two years and 4 months - brand new then. I have just received new GSXR1000 K4 bottom yoke, just waiting for bearings and nuts etc as I binned all my original stuff two years ago, soon confirm my suspicions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode