Tuning my K5 750 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Tuning my K5 750

I'm just now getting my bike back on the road after not riding for a few years. I cleaned it up, ran some Seafoam through the top end and 1-1/2 tanks of gas and the bike is running pretty good. Power feels good but I have no reference for what it should be since I've never ridden another 750. So, the short of it is that I'm taking the bike to RNR Cycles here in Sterling VA for some dyno tuning. I'm not necessarily going for crazy power or anything, I just want to make sure it is running as it should be, and might as well add some sensible mods. Here's what I have planned:

1. Woolich USB (Denso) v3 Package (based on Rick at RNR's recommendation. My subsequent research has confirmed in my mind that this is a good choice)
2. Sprint Filter P08 air filter (already bought)
3. Cut my existing Muzzy muffler roughly in half (or should I get another short slip on? Recommendations for a 2" diameter midpipe?). It currently has what I assume is a Muzzy full exhaust and the can is like 2 feet long!
4. Should I get new plugs? My bike only has 5500 miles on it.
5. Oil change
6. Run 87 octane (Rick's recommendation)

Any thing else I should be thinking of? I bought this as a project bike with less than 1000 miles on it back in 2010 and got it up and running fairly quickly back then (I have some threads on it here from back then). Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by DemonRider; 07-20-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added item 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 AM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Tuning my K5 750

Unless you’re running a full exhaust or you’re trying to squeeze out every last bit for a specific racing class, you’re wasting money. You’re going to be dropping a bunch of money and you’re barely going to gain any power
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Pretty sure the USA manual for the 750 calls for 91 octane (pay attention to octane calculation method). Plugs are probably fine. Personally, some people call it snake oil, but I'd suggest running some Z-Max mixed in the fuel for 3-4 tanks. It's expensive, but will do a good job on the pump and injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Unless you’re running a full exhaust or you’re trying to squeeze out every last bit for a specific racing class, you’re wasting money. You’re going to be dropping a bunch of money and you’re barely going to gain any power
Hi Nick, thanks for the comments. I am running a full exhaust, and to my knowledge the bike has never been tuned for it. I don't even know what exhaust it is for that matter, but I'm guessing it's a Muzzy system for a 1000 since it has a 2-1/8" diameter mid-pipe.

I'm also going to cut that Muzzy howitzer-size can in half, and install the Sprint P08 air filter, so some tuning will be in order. And as I previously stated, I'm not trying to squeeze every last drop of HP out of it, I just want to know what it's making, and that it's making roughly what it should be making.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xIMG_8701 - Copy.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	551536  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Pretty sure the USA manual for the 750 calls for 91 octane (pay attention to octane calculation method). Plugs are probably fine. Personally, some people call it snake oil, but I'd suggest running some Z-Max mixed in the fuel for 3-4 tanks. It's expensive, but will do a good job on the pump and injectors.
Thanks Geek, I will take this under advisement. So you think Z-Max is even better than running the Seafoam?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Different products. Seafoam will clean. Z-max is a micro lubricant. It'll clean a little, but it will lubricate the pump and injectors as well as clean them a bit. And it'll clean up the intake valves better than seafoam will.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

OK, I'll try it out. Price I found at Walmart.com is on par with Seafoam, btw.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2018 GsxR 1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRider View Post

Any thing else I should be thinking of? I bought this as a project bike with less than 1000 miles on it back in 2010 and got it up and running fairly quickly back then (I have some threads on it here from back then). Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.
What are your goals for the project? Top Speed? Better handling? Better acceleration? Drivability? What element are you wanting to improve the most?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ON1000R View Post
What are your goals for the project? Top Speed? Better handling? Better acceleration? Drivability? What element are you wanting to improve the most?
My main goal is to make sure the bike is running properly and with good drivability. Power gains would be welcome also, but it's not the ultimate goal. Top speed is not a concern and better acceleration (especially down in the lower rev range) would be good. I've added a +1/-2 sprocket change to the list.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR600, 2015 Yamaha FJ09, 2015 Yamaha YZ450
Garage

One suggestion. Try lining up with another GSXR750 of the same era and do a comparison roll-on test. Bikes should be pretty close in power as you shift through the gears meaning neither of you should pull away from eachother. Also, if you line up against a 600 of the same era, you should pull away during accel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode