Ram Air Effect/Delete - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: It has 2 wheels and makes cool sound like BWWAAAAA
Re: Ram Air Effect/Delete

Admittedly, I've been contemplating this more than I probably should heh. I've been busy with school work this week, but now the week is winding down and I've actually spent the last couple of hours contemplating all the physics involved in this...

Although it's hard for me to tell from the graphs and I may be reading them wrong, it does seem that the Kawasaki's had a bit steeper slope. Of course that could be because they had the most consistent pressure readings (the Busa had a excessively erratic pressure with multiple large spikes and dips). I mainly compared the GSXR-750 to the ZX-7R because those were the only two bikes within a decent size range of each other. Suzuki had higher acceleration compared to Kawi. For instance the GSXR-750 hit 160mph in about 3100 feet whereas the ZX-7R hit 160mph at about 3700 feet.

The 750 didn't hit ambient until 100 mph, whereas the ZX-7R hit it at about 60. Like the slope of the graphs, that could be because the 7R had the more consistent pressure readings. I do think fluctuations in the Suzuki's pressure was due to their placement. Instead of the air flowing directly into them, it tends to flow over them after breaking on the nose. Basically, they pick up most of the air, but there are small amounts that flow straight over it. That air flow would actually produce a negative pressure area just outside the intakes (think blowing cigarette smoke out of a cracked window in your car and how it gets sucked out).

It's hard for me to rule one way or another in all honesty. The fluctuations in the Suzuki pressure didn't seem to affect the overall performance in a terribly noticeable way. The Kawi had more steady pressure throughout it's power range, but it didn't seem to give it any advantage. In fact, it's acceleration was slower than the Suzuki. But I'm not willing to say that's entirely because of the intake placement.

Sorry it's long-winded. Took me a while to organize the thoughts even to that short point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

It boggles my mind that someone can claim horsepower increases from air filters and slightly less restrictive intakes and dismiss the value of having air literally shoved into the engine - let alone spending money on a tune that doesn't take this into consideration. From what I've seen it looks like tunes are for RPMs/throttle, but is there anything in the map for speed/gear?
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 01:48 PM
AKA Pee Wee Herman

Motorcycle: Street:2018Z125ProKRT Track:2007GSXR600

It boggles my mind that people post on three year old threads.
Gliscameria likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode