Ram Air Effect/Delete - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Re: Ram Air Effect/Delete

Out of everything that was said here I would pay close attention to what Tim Radley said (as you should with whatever Tim says in regards to anything with a motor in it). Ram-air's purpose is not simply to try and achieve some sort of positive pressure in the air box (which as mentioned doesn't start happening until you are well into triple digit speeds on most sport bikes) but it is a mechanism full allowing the air box to pull clean cool air from the front of the bike, as opposed to hotter/dirtier air from behind the middle of it.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper

Motorcycle: 2007 CRF250R
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Which is exactly why Suzuki didn't invest millions in it's design and development over the last 20 years...... oh wait... they did! I guess Suzuki's engineers are smarter than your tuner.

Ram air does 2 things. It reduces intake temps by allowing the bike to breathe clean air. It also helps to reduce the resistance of the air filter.

If Suzuki was the only company doing ram air, then it would be questionable. But take a look at every single bike, and most performance cars, and it's pretty clear there's benefit to ram air. Forget "boost". It not the only thing that matters.
Correct. Once upon a time we made some sound supression devices ( basically a bucket lined with sound absorbing foam) to go around the k & n air filters on our two stroke racing kart engines due to a decibel limit regulation at a track in Jacksonville. Once installed, the kart picked up about 2mph on the long strait and I could feel the difference in power. The dyno confirmed what we experienced, showing almost a 2hp gain over the entire range on a 45hp engine. I was shocked. There is more to making power than the obvious stuff everyone thinks of. While at the track, I thought the gain was due to the air being calmer around the filter at speed, but it even worked on the dyno with no air moving. I'm guessing it was suppressing the sonic pulses coming from the intake, but I'm not sure.

"Come home to the impossible flavor of your own completion... Come home to Simple Rick's"
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Chubby Chaser

What Suzuki does get wrong is their placement of the intakes. Its been demonstrated time and again that the central design of the R6 or RC51 is the optimal placement of the intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
What Suzuki does get wrong is their placement of the intakes. Its been demonstrated time and again that the central design of the R6 or RC51 is the optimal placement of the intake.
They've actually done a lot of work on that too. Like the r1, they both seem to think the volume of having two is beneficial. The nostril design is always changing though and on big race bike teams they have adjustable plates to catch the air better often. The big issue they face is catching air that "spills" over the outer edges

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2211 View Post
They are everything.
Especially if you have neither!
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
on big race bike teams they have adjustable plates to catch the air better often. The big issue they face is catching air that "spills" over the outer edges

indeed modified

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Quote:
There's still debate about that. I remember reading somewhere that the 2 offset intakes benefited from not only catching the direct air, but the air deflected from center as well. It accounted for why the intake design over the last few years as gotten taller and the outer edge moved forward. Makes me think of wings on a snowplow.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Chubby Chaser

But MotoGP where they can design it anyway they like without worrying about copyright/design infringement.........

Not exactly center but close

Moto2

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Garage

How much of that placement do you think is attributed to design factors other than optimal placement? I think aerodynamic function is only one factor in that placement. Overall aerodynamics, frame design, and general space availability will all play a part.

I'm not saying that central placement doesn't yield maximum benefit, because I have absolutely no clue. Just for the sake of discussion, what if.....

If the dual outer placement actually yielded more benefit and produced more power, but also increased the aerodynamic drag significantly? Race teams would sacrifice the horsepower numbers to gain top speed and place it centrally. Manufacturers would sacrifice top speed so they could publish bigger horsepower numbers in their marketing to sell more bikes.

All of which is just conjecture. It's quite possible that central positioning is beneficial in both respects. Suzuki may have just designed it this way and continue to do so because the trickle down design changes required are too costly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Chubby Chaser

Oh yeah, Suzuki's new MotoGP prototype, missed that one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	269506  
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Garage

An old article, but still relevant.

Part1: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/
Part2: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Track Day Winner

SPL170db,

The cool air theory posted by The Geek is 100% correct. For every 10 degree increase in inlet temperature, there is a corresponding 2% decrease in horsepower - so drawing from the hot area under the gas tank on a modern day machine is certainly not a good idea.

As far as the 'Ram Air Effect', for all street and most race (excluding land speed) applications, it's best to not worry about 'positive' pressure as much as think about 'less negative'. Positive pressure occurs at high speeds (typically over 150 MPH), is minimal (less than .5 psig) and has a marginal effect on acceleration (you are already going too fast to pick up much more acceleration). BUT every little bit helps, especially in normally aspirated applications, so we love it! When a bikes engine draws from an air box, it creates a negative pressure situation that can use as much fresh air VOLUME replenishment as possible. The ram air inlet(s) do a fantastic job of this at a relatively low speed. Want to test this theory? Stick your cupped hand out of your car window at 55 MPH and feel the ‘push’. Most sportbikes today can attain that speed in the top of 1st gear, so ‘less negative’ basically contributes to harder acceleration (progressively) from the time you begin twisting the gas until 150 MPH and beyond. It’s difficult to find a modern sportbike without a well-designed air box these days, and for good reason – the benefits are tangible and measurable.

At my company, we embraced the benefits of the air box years ago and began designing our oversize exhaust systems to compensate for the extra intake/exhaust flow required to properly utilize them. We did this engineering work as a result of incremental performance measurements obtained in the field (drag strip, land speed, data logging street bikes etc.) – instead just designing our exhausts using horsepower numbers from our dyno… as they only told a fraction of the story.

If you Google land speed ‘naked’ bikes. You will notice that they will remove the bodywork, but they all keep the ram air scoops… performance will seriously suffer otherwise.

I hope this helps with your dilemma.

Brock Davidson
www.BrocksPerformance.com
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Davidson View Post
SPL170db,

The cool air theory posted by The Geek is 100% correct. For every 10 degree increase in inlet temperature, there is a corresponding 2% decrease in horsepower - so drawing from the hot area under the gas tank on a modern day machine is certainly not a good idea.

As far as the 'Ram Air Effect', for all street and most race (excluding land speed) applications, it's best to not worry about 'positive' pressure as much as think about 'less negative'. Positive pressure occurs at high speeds (typically over 150 MPH), is minimal (less than .5 psig) and has a marginal effect on acceleration (you are already going too fast to pick up much more acceleration). BUT every little bit helps, especially in normally aspirated applications, so we love it! When a bikes engine draws from an air box, it creates a negative pressure situation that can use as much fresh air VOLUME replenishment as possible. The ram air inlet(s) do a fantastic job of this at a relatively low speed. Want to test this theory? Stick your cupped hand out of your car window at 55 MPH and feel the ‘push’. Most sportbikes today can attain that speed in the top of 1st gear, so ‘less negative’ basically contributes to harder acceleration (progressively) from the time you begin twisting the gas until 150 MPH and beyond. It’s difficult to find a modern sportbike without a well-designed air box these days, and for good reason – the benefits are tangible and measurable.

At my company, we embraced the benefits of the air box years ago and began designing our oversize exhaust systems to compensate for the extra intake/exhaust flow required to properly utilize them. We did this engineering work as a result of incremental performance measurements obtained in the field (drag strip, land speed, data logging street bikes etc.) – instead just designing our exhausts using horsepower numbers from our dyno… as they only told a fraction of the story.

If you Google land speed ‘naked’ bikes. You will notice that they will remove the bodywork, but they all keep the ram air scoops… performance will seriously suffer otherwise.

I hope this helps with your dilemma.

Brock Davidson

I think you might have missed what I already typed earlier in the thread

Quote:
Out of everything that was said here I would pay close attention to what Tim Radley said (as you should with whatever Tim says in regards to anything with a motor in it). Ram-air's purpose is not simply to try and achieve some sort of positive pressure in the air box (which as mentioned doesn't start happening until you are well into triple digit speeds on most sport bikes) but it is a mechanism full allowing the air box to pull clean cool air from the front of the bike, as opposed to hotter/dirtier air from behind the middle of it.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
I think you might have missed what I already typed earlier in the thread

No. Just trying to be a bit more precise

To take it further than the reduced acceleration you would experience from removal of your Ram Air at your speeds less than 120 MPH, you will also need to recalibrate your fuel injection mapping.

Brock
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Squid

Im pretty sure the placemente of the ram air intakes on a Moto GP is because that area is the one with the highest air pressure .

http://www.cd-adapco.com/sites/defau...2652_sized.jpg
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

Quote:
There's still debate about that. I remember reading somewhere that the 2 offset intakes benefited from not only catching the direct air, but the air deflected from center as well. It accounted for why the intake design over the last few years as gotten taller and the outer edge moved forward. Makes me think of wings on a snowplow.

I could see that.

The HP ratings we see listed for our bikes, is that with or without ram air effect?
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
Im pretty sure the placemente of the ram air intakes on a Moto GP is because that area is the one with the highest air pressure .

http://www.cd-adapco.com/sites/defau...2652_sized.jpg
Helmet, shirt and shorts(?) FAIL
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 750

And then there is the 'tuning the air box' for air pulse from the engine itself. V twins being more susceptible of course ...
DT
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: It has 2 wheels and makes cool sound like BWWAAAAA

Quote:
Great reads. There was one particular line that caught my eye though in regards to what SPL said earlier about central placement design...

Quote:
From the first article:
"As air is jammed into the opening, the high-pressure area that is created builds outward, effectively stopping more air from entering."

This may be getting way into the physics aspect of it and I could be wrong about what the article was trying to say, but if this is true, then shouldn't a central placement result in more air entering the intake at a lower speed thus resulting in the stopping effect occurring at a lower speed than it would if the intake(s) were placed away from the nose where the air pressure is at it's maximum?

It seems to me that it would be similar to when a jet breaks the sound barrier. The faster you go, the more pressure is built up at the very front resulting in a push back effect.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Garage

In theory, I think you would be right. I didn't go back and look at the graphs, but did you see a steeper slope in the graph on bikes that had central placement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode