Ghost Governer - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Ghost Governer

SO sometimes I do bad things on a back road highway of sorts. I use it to open up my bike every once an a while. Two months ago I indicated 185 I believe GPS said about 168. Then I was cruising last week at about 143 GPS. Today I lubed the clutch cable ( cable lube tool from other post worked AMAZING) took her out to open her up. Brand new stingray vett pulled up beside me on this highway and motioned to "speed up a bit". I was in 6th gear I kicked her down to third rapped it out, hit 4th and noticed it hesitated to move past 13k as he pulled ahead of me I hit 5th which didn't want to pull past 12k now hes far ahead of me, which he SHOULD NOT be, I kicked 6th and twisted. 12k is where she stopped... 122 mph gps was the best she had. Almost like some weird governer at 122. The things I noticed that I don't think would effect it but thought I would put out were:

1.Gas light is on low gas indicated (not sure if this was the same the first time but definitely the second time)
2. Quite a bit of wind ( definitely both time a good amount of wind very flat land where I'm riding.)
3. Full exhaust installed no dyno no ECU controller or mapping (bought the bike this way has never effected it before.)

"You shouldn't be going that fast on public roads" yea yea yea I don't do this daily just when I adjust something or want to clean her out, and the track is VERY far from me and my skill on the track is not there enough to justify spending the cash right now.

Any ideas guys ? Also anyone know a good place near phoenix AZ to dyno?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I see stupid people
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Family,Ride,Golf,Beer

04' GSXR750 Full Yoshi exhaust
750Squidiot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Have you checked the pump to see if its maintaining the correct pressure and giving the engine the right amount of fuel it needs?the result is an incorrect engine mixture of fuel and air
Dustin518 is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Also general maintenance on "her"😁 is very I'mportant. Bad gas or clogged fuel filter, improper oil level or a dirty air filter could result in loss of power drastically in your machine.
Dustin518 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin518 View Post
Also general maintenance on "her"😁 is very I'mportant. Bad gas or clogged fuel filter, improper oil level or a dirty air filter could result in loss of power drastically in your machine.
Just replaced the entire pump and assembly recently. I thought this too but its very subtle and only after 122mph it doesn't bog down at all just acts like there is no more to give. I thought maybe the filter is clogged but doesn't the engine get the same amount of fuel at 14k in any gear? it has no problem 1st through 3rd and only stops at 12k in 4th through 6th but doesn't bog. Im gunna pull the fuel pump assemb this weekend and clean the filter but outside of that im lost.
750Squidiot is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Did you clean the screen on the fuel petcock? Remove the tank,turn it sideways so fuel doesn't come out, remove it and blow it out with compressed air. It could be a cogged jet in the carbs too..



Are you the original owner to the bike? Other then opening it up on lengthy open roads when u go out for a braaap how hard are you riding?I have heard that a warn out clutch plate could cause similar issues.
Dustin518 is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
^^its not gana bog but it's not going to accelerate either ^^
Dustin518 is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 AM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 2,974
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
Just replaced the entire pump and assembly recently. I thought this too but its very subtle and only after 122mph it doesn't bog down at all just acts like there is no more to give. I thought maybe the filter is clogged but doesn't the engine get the same amount of fuel at 14k in any gear? it has no problem 1st through 3rd and only stops at 12k in 4th through 6th but doesn't bog. Im gunna pull the fuel pump assemb this weekend and clean the filter but outside of that im lost.
Unless the pump assembly was new and OEM, it doesn't necessarily mean that the flow should be ok. And even in that case, bad fuel can clog the strainer so, generally, the only way to tell, is to measure. Engine fuel consumption generally depends on engine speed and throttle opening, so you might not giving it as much throttle in the lower gears, but even if you do, smaller power output in the first gears would still allow the bike to accelerate to redline. At higher speeds the wind resistance might not allow it to do so.

Another possibility for lower power output at higher engine speeds and loads, which did feel like a premature top speed in my case, would be worn spark plugs.
750Squidiot likes this.
dpapavas is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin518 View Post
Did you clean the screen on the fuel petcock? Remove the tank,turn it sideways so fuel doesn't come out, remove it and blow it out with compressed air. It could be a cogged jet in the carbs too..



Are you the original owner to the bike? Other then opening it up on lengthy open roads when u go out for a braaap how hard are you riding?I have heard that a warn out clutch plate could cause similar issues.
I've got an K4 hence why its posted in the 04-05 spot so no carbs here buddy and I've never herd of a clutch plate causing issues like this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
Unless the pump assembly was new and OEM, it doesn't necessarily mean that the flow should be ok. And even in that case, bad fuel can clog the strainer so, generally, the only way to tell, is to measure. Engine fuel consumption generally depends on engine speed and throttle opening, so you might not giving it as much throttle in the lower gears, but even if you do, smaller power output in the first gears would still allow the bike to accelerate to redline. At higher speeds the wind resistance might not allow it to do so.

Another possibility for lower power output at higher engine speeds and loads, which did feel like a premature top speed in my case, would be worn spark plugs.
Understood on the assembly. I only use OEM parts where they are available however it was gently used and has a warranty on it. It has caused no problems in the last two months since install I would be hesitant on thinking it was this part. Now spark plugs on the other hand could be the culprit the previous and original owner never changed anything just let it run so this is a good possibility. Another possibility which I was going to check this weekend is the strainer being clogged. When I replaced the assemb I noticed rust and a bunch of other shit in the tank. I cleaned it out best I could (turkey baster....) and when on my way got most out but the strainer might be clogged now.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I see stupid people
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Family,Ride,Golf,Beer

04' GSXR750 Full Yoshi exhaust
750Squidiot is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?
 
TheGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Posts: 13,174
Garage
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
I thought maybe the filter is clogged but doesn't the engine get the same amount of fuel at 14k in any gear?
It's not going the same speed at 14k in any gear, right? It's a matter of work being done. 14k in 2nd gear is a lot slower than 14k in 5th. In 5th, you're going to be pushing a whole lot more wind, more rolling resistance, etc. It needs far more energy, and that comes from fuel. That's why all these "bogged down" threads all read the same way.... problems present in higher gears and higher RPMs.
750Squidiot likes this.
TheGeek is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
It's not going the same speed at 14k in any gear, right? It's a matter of work being done. 14k in 2nd gear is a lot slower than 14k in 5th. In 5th, you're going to be pushing a whole lot more wind, more rolling resistance, etc. It needs far more energy, and that comes from fuel. That's why all these "bogged down" threads all read the same way.... problems present in higher gears and higher RPMs.
Thank you for explaining that. I had a hunch but wasn't sure and it makes sense, engine works harder needs more food. So at this point I'm pulling my assemb tonight and cleaning the strainer and checking the plugs ill update after a test.
750Squidiot is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?
 
TheGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Posts: 13,174
Garage
Re: Ghost Governer

Why don't you test it to see if that's the problem before you start trying to correct a problem you're not even sure exists?
TheGeek is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Why don't you test it to see if that's the problem before you start trying to correct a problem you're not even sure exists?
Test what ? I know the strainer needs to be cleaned that was on my to-do list regardless and the plugs should have been checked when I bought the bike which I didn't. Im not changing anything or buying any parts aside from plugs if they are badly fouled.
750Squidiot is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 AM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 2,974
Re: Ghost Governer

Disregarding differences in gear-dependent mapping and ram-air effects, an engine going at a certain throttle opening and a certain speed, will consume the same fuel and produce the same power regardless of gear. Of course at higher gears, the higher wind drag, rolling resistance, etc. will result in lower acceleration as more work has to be done against them. I suspect most fuel starvation issues manifest at higher gears because lower gears don't allow WOT so readily, either because the bike will drift the rear wheel, or wheelie, or because of psychological factors.
dpapavas is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
Disregarding differences in gear-dependent mapping and ram-air effects, an engine going at a certain throttle opening and a certain speed, will consume the same fuel and produce the same power regardless of gear. Of course at higher gears, the higher wind drag, rolling resistance, etc. will result in lower acceleration as more work has to be done against them. I suspect most fuel starvation issues manifest at higher gears because lower gears don't allow WOT so readily, either because the bike will drift the rear wheel, or wheelie, or because of psychological factors.
Now I am confused. Hahaha what do you think the issue could be?
750Squidiot is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Track Day Winner
 
BigLou85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NE Oklahoma
Motorcycle: '14 750
Posts: 21
Re: Ghost Governer

You're bike hasn't been in the vicinity of any two bros products has it? Lol
Sounds like you're on the right track with cleaning the filter and checking the plugs. That would be my first step as well.
750Squidiot likes this.
BigLou85 is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou85 View Post
You're bike hasn't been in the vicinity of any two bros products has it? Lol
Sounds like you're on the right track with cleaning the filter and checking the plugs. That would be my first step as well.
Full yoshi all day everyday. I used a two bros once to prop my bike up
BigLou85 likes this.
750Squidiot is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator
 
MacBayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton AB
Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i
Posts: 6,151
Re: Ghost Governer

You know, if you had these issues on track, I would be glad to help you out with some ideas but you did this on public roads with speed limits. Your bike has a potential issue that needs to be fixed, but fuck-right-off.

You addressed this issue of the speed difference and you asked not to be disparaged... but that was fucking stupid. Maybe that issue might save your life.
MacBayne is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 AM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 2,974
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
Now I am confused. Hahaha what do you think the issue could be?
My comments had more to do with physics, than with your issue. If you're concerned about why you're only noticing the problem in higher gears, it might be that the reduced power output is not so noticeable in the lower gears, as it will result in lower acceleration, which doesn't stand out as much as a lower top speed, or it might be that you're inadvertently not opening the throttle as much in the lower gears (which can happen easier than one might think).

Your description of the problem in the OP is a bit confusing, as I'd think you'd be going faster than 122 mph at 12K rpm and 6th gear (assuming stock gearing), but, at any rate, if you can't redline the 4th gear, you're producing a lot less power than you should. That might be due to fuel starvation, which you should check by measuring the flow produced by the pump, bad spark, which you should initially check by inspecting and/or replacing the spark plugs, or other issues, which you should consider only after making sure the usual problems mentioned above are not causing your problem.
dpapavas is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?
 
TheGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Posts: 13,174
Garage
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
Test what ? I know the strainer needs to be cleaned that was on my to-do list regardless and the plugs should have been checked when I bought the bike which I didn't. Im not changing anything or buying any parts aside from plugs if they are badly fouled.
Test to see if you have a fuel delivery issue.
TheGeek is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 186
Re: Ghost Governer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
My comments had more to do with physics, than with your issue. If you're concerned about why you're only noticing the problem in higher gears, it might be that the reduced power output is not so noticeable in the lower gears, as it will result in lower acceleration, which doesn't stand out as much as a lower top speed, or it might be that you're inadvertently not opening the throttle as much in the lower gears (which can happen easier than one might think).

Your description of the problem in the OP is a bit confusing, as I'd think you'd be going faster than 122 mph at 12K rpm and 6th gear (assuming stock gearing), but, at any rate, if you can't redline the 4th gear, you're producing a lot less power than you should. That might be due to fuel starvation, which you should check by measuring the flow produced by the pump, bad spark, which you should initially check by inspecting and/or replacing the spark plugs, or other issues, which you should consider only after making sure the usual problems mentioned above are not causing your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Test to see if you have a fuel delivery issue.
Its a damn fuel delivery issue AGAIN. The housing reservoir cracked again somehow. I don't have the time to delve into this further I think the strainer is getting clogged and causing a vacuum of sorts and cracking the reservoir. In any regards ill replace it again and sell the bike, I've got another project I'm looking at haha.
750Squidiot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ghost Rider giving away turbo Busa JetBlast General Bike Talk 15 01-10-2012 10:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome