All four indicators/turn signals flashing (NOT LEDS!) - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

All four indicators/turn signals flashing (NOT LEDS!)

hi everyone.

my gsxr750 k4 has randomly started flashing all four indicators/turn signals when I indicate to turn.

turn signal on the panel is still working.

I of course googled this (how i found this forum) and it seems everyone else has experienced this after changing to LED bulbs.

I havent, I've still got the original stock bulbs on the bike. All are working so none have blown.

I've pulled out the relay, it seems ok - presumably if it wasnt nothing would flash as there's only an in and out (2pins) for the indicators so presumably the split is elsewhere.

Any ideas greatly appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
Re: All four indicators/turn signals flashing (NOT LEDS!)

Possibly the switch. The flasher supplies power to the switch, which distributes to the bulbs. Something is linking the left circuit and the right circuit. It's either the switch, or a short in the wiring.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

+1 on the switch. The hazard warning switch is nearby and connects to the same leads. There might be a short or other malfunction there.

Otherwise look for a short between the B and Lg leads, either at the switch or at any of the several connectors that they pass through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

thanks guys going to have a look tommorow evening - will report back in case it s helpful to others.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hi, just to give an update in case this ever affects anyone else.

It wasnt the switch - i fully dismantled and re-assembled and made no difference so i borrowed a switch unit from a friend - same thing.

taking out all the bulbs or different combinations doesnt make a difference and a voltmeter doesnt appear to lead to a dodgy ground.

ive discovered some diodes leading to the indicator light on the dashboard some im going to replace them (i dont really know how to test them)

i'll update!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
ive discovered some diodes leading to the indicator light on the dashboard some im going to replace them (i dont really know how to test them)

i'll update!
In general, or specific?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
In general, or specific?

sorry not sure i understand the question.. i dont know generally how to test diodes not just the ones on the bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:51 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

A simple continuity test from one side to the other, then reverse it. One should read open. I really think you're over complicating this.

The tail would be the easiest way to access some wires for SIMPLE testing:

Just take the key out so there's no power to the system. Tap into the hot lines for the left (Black) and right (light green). Check continuity between these. There should be none. If there is, you have a short. To test your diode theory, just disconnect the cluster. Then disconnect the big main connector to the end that's under the left ram air tube. Then disconnect the left switch pod. If all these are disconnected, and you still have continuity, your short is in the main harness.

If disconnecting the cluster opens the circuit, then yeah, your problem is in the cluster.

If disconnecting the front main connector, then your short is in the front sub harness.

If disconnecting the left switch pod, your short is in the pod lead, or the switch.

If there's no continuity at all when you start, it's the switch.

Last thought, do you have an aftermarket tail light with integrated signals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
sorry not sure i understand the question.. i dont know generally how to test diodes not just the ones on the bike.
Put your meter in "Diode" setting. (pic below is the diode symbol. your meter may not have that setting, or you may have to press a 'second function' button)

Put your leads on either polarity of the diode, then switch polarities. One way should read O/L, the other reads how many volts the diode takes to open.

If you get two voltages, or two O/L, the diode is pooched. Also, if you get a small voltage (like a fair amount less less than 0.5 volts) it is also pooched.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode