Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

HPT gearing for 06 GSXR 1k

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ccmhunt 
#1 ·
Looking for a gearing recommendation for Heartland park in Topeka, KS. Motor is stock 06 GSXR1000.

Thinking -1, +2 or -1 +3.

Anyone with experience with this track?

Thanks

#2 ·
I think there is only one straight that you will get up to about 120 on. I have an 05 and 06 GSXR 1000 and if you gear it too low you will be fighting keeping the front end down. these bikes have tons of torque. I would go up in the back and keep the front at 17. Two in the rear otta do it. That is a pretty nice track. The corners are predictable and I don't think there is a single negative camber corner. Have a great time.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm reaching 135-140 on the front straight (although I'm not looking when going over alpha). I don't have any experience with anything other than stock grearing. Ideally I'd like to be using more of the grearbox, but you make a good point about creating a wheelie-monster that is more difficult to control. I know -1/+2 is a pretty standard gearing. Any experience with going shorter than this? Unusable?

Thanks

#4 ·
My last track day at Shannadoah, Summit point WV. A 23 turn track that is made of corners from famous tracks. Even a banked Nurburgring Karrussell feeding into a 125 mph straight. I had just installed a 525 ek chain with Renthall sprocks. 14 in the front and 47 in the rear. Way too low for this track. My front would not stay down and I could go around the track in 4th gear without having to downshift. I let my friend who is one of the track coaches try it and he loved it. Of course he normally road a GSXR 600 and this was like a superbike to him. I put the front back up to 17 and installed a Dynojet quick shifter since and the setup is just right.

I miss the midwest. I went to highschool in Kansas City and miss the night life. We used to take road trips to Lawrence and party at KU. The mighty Jayhawks. Hot girls and legal drinking age at 18. Loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.