Donington Park MotoGP 2006 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Donington Park MotoGP 2006

Me and 2 buddies are looking to fly over from the US to see the race next year at Donington Park. Have any of you guys been there to see the race?? Any idea where a good place to stay is?? Any info would be a great help.

thanks
ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750 1997
Re: Donington Park MotoGP 2006

i`ve been to the donington park wsbk and it was good fun but unfortunately missed out on it this time around....are you gonna be with bike or without???if without will you have any transport at all???
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

We didn't plan on shipping our bikes over. We just planned on using public transportation to get around. We are going to stay in london, then just hop the train on Saturday to Donington Park stay the night and take the train back to London after the race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Amateur

hey,
you wanna stay in central london or suburbs?
what you wanna be doing apart from watching the races????
let me know i`ll try and tell you the best places
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

We have no clue as to where to stay. I was looking at purchasing a Air Fare + Hotel package from Yahoo or one of the Airlines. If you could give me some advice as where to stay that would be great. We are flying in the Thurday before the race, so we want to party in London thursday and friday. Then head to the track for Sat, and Sunday. Then we are back in London for Sunday night and Monday, and we fly out Tuesday.

Any places you could recommend would help out a ton.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Amateur

watch this space!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Amateur

there are loads of cool places to stay but the problem is finding somebody who has been too those same places before and know what is like and what the hotels are like etc ..otherise it is trial and error....Now there is a couple of places where i live(enfield,middlesex) and surrounding that are nice and probably cheaper to stay than the centre of london but you will need to travel into london and that means "london transport " : ( your best bet is to look online for "bed and breakfasts" i don`t know what the equivelent is in the u.s but they are pretty much what they say....you get a room....most of the time with your own bathroom and get the option of breakfat in the morning but the rest you have to look after yourself! any more questions you can also pm me
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Zook 750K6

I don't mean to piss on your parade, but I''ve been to 3 GP's at Donnington and the facilities are crap, and there are limited good viewing points. If you go in a car it will also more than likely take you 3-5 hours to get out of the area after the race (not exaggerating).

This year we went to the Catalunya GP instead and it was the best race I have ever been to. The track has great viewing points with lots of stands. They had 14 big screens all around the track, so we knew exactly what was going on all the time. And the Spanish fans are fanatical - everytime the bikes come past they go absolutely bonkers (there were 108,000 spectators this year). We'll be there again in 2006 for sure!!
We stayed in Barcelona which is a beautful city with loads of atmosphere and the people are friendly. There are tapas restaurants all over the place where we got happily pissed on sangria in the sun. The track is about a 30 min train ride away, and then about a 20-30min walk with fans you will meet on the train.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Provisional Novice

There is an Airport right next to Donington,it's called East Midlans Airport,and when I say right next to it,I mean the width of a street away.

If you can get a connecting flight from London the EMA you will beat all the traffic problems that happens on GP weekend.

I've been to the last 3 GPs there and fly in each time
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: essexgixxer

facilities are shit but camp over get pissed and enjoy the atmosphere
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: RC51, R6 Racebike, DRZ 400

if you decide to stay in london, check out www.londontown.com for the best prices on hotels.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: Adrian

been to donnington park a few times, BSB, WSB and Moto GP, decided last year was the last time, spent HOURS tryin to get out of the place...wont be doing it again! next time i go, it will be for a trackday..

Adrian
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Superstock

Motorcycle: GIXXERUK

i've been to donny a few times for the GP , always with paddock passes which makes all the difference tbh
this year i'm going to mugello
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: 1997 GSXR 600 WV, black/red/silver

Quote:
been to donnington park a few times, BSB, WSB and Moto GP, decided last year was the last time
+1. Been the last 4 years. Camped there each time. The traffics not too bad if your on the bike, but if anyone was there last year, you'll know you cant gaurantee the weather.
The facilities there are always a let down as well. Theres nothing to do there apart from watch the bikes, which is cool, but you need something to do in between. An theres only so many rat burgers i can eat. Theres no bombfires in the campsite, fireworks are "banned" (fuck off).

Might go for race day but no more weekend tickets for me.....
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR 600 K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayman
I don't mean to piss on your parade, but I''ve been to 3 GP's at Donnington and the facilities are crap, and there are limited good viewing points. If you go in a car it will also more than likely take you 3-5 hours to get out of the area after the race (not exaggerating).

This year we went to the Catalunya GP instead and it was the best race I have ever been to. The track has great viewing points with lots of stands. They had 14 big screens all around the track, so we knew exactly what was going on all the time. And the Spanish fans are fanatical - everytime the bikes come past they go absolutely bonkers (there were 108,000 spectators this year). We'll be there again in 2006 for sure!!
We stayed in Barcelona which is a beautful city with loads of atmosphere and the people are friendly. There are tapas restaurants all over the place where we got happily pissed on sangria in the sun. The track is about a 30 min train ride away, and then about a 20-30min walk with fans you will meet on the train.

Sorry mate but I really do agree with this I've been to Assen past 3 times and donnington 2 times and there's is no question which one is better. I don't go to Donnigton the night before cos it is all crap. They stop you from even having a small fire, no gas bottles so no BBQ's and your bikes not allowed even close to your tent. To be honest the way the organisers are going by next year they'll be no alcohol allowed in the camp site. Tell you what to do mate is come across, fly into East Midlands airport and book yourself into a hotle, it's all within walking distance and night before the race walk into Donnigton village and go to one of the pubs in there.

I personaly if I was flying all this way I'd go to the dutch TT. Fly into Groninghan (think thats how you spell it) get the train (about 30 mins) into Assen and stay in Assen town. If you can't get a flight into Groningham get one to Amsterdam, spend a night there then get the train up.
There's a massive party on the friday night with about 5 live bands around the town. There's everything from bungee jumps from a crane to trails bike demos. They close the whole town off to any vehicle, including bikes, and there are just beer stalls in the middle of the street. Your allowed to just walk around the town drinking beer and no one stops you. Mate I went once and now I'm hooked it's such a laugh 10 times better then Donnington.

I used to go to the WSBK at Donnington but the organisers have put too many rules and as mentioned there are no facilities what so ever.

If anyone wants any infomation as to where to stop in Assen either camping or hotels use this thread and I'll try to point you in the right direction. Got to say though this year we stayed at a hotel advertising that it was only 15K's from Assen. When we got there it was over 25K's which was expensive in a taxi!!!!!

Hope to be of help to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode