Roads in the UK - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: Yellow 03 Fazer 1000 & 86 KTM 250
Roads in the UK

I have noticed that most corners here are cambered the wrong way. In SA and in all of the European countries I've been to, most of the corners camber in the correct way. Why is this? The only answer I can think of is that it costs more to camber roads correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Eric the viking
Re: Roads in the UK

i think it depends where abouts in the country you are, and how old the road is. most roads are cambered to help get rid of the rain water, rather than to help you corner faster.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
Eric the viking said:
i think it depends where abouts in the country you are, and how old the road is. most roads are cambered to help get rid of the rain water, rather than to help you corner faster.....
I know that but if it's cambered to the inside it will still get rid of rain water and at the end of the day make the road safer too and not only for bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: stmb

im sure thats not the only stupid thing about this side of the world that youv noticed,
wait till you take a trip over here , you will think that they give out engeneer diplomas and engeneering jobs on the back of corn flakes boxes.
its cost us more to build a stupid on road tram system than it has cost america to put men into space )
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
stmb said:
im sure thats not the only stupid thing about this side of the world that youv noticed,
wait till you take a trip over here , you will think that they give out engeneer diplomas and engeneering jobs on the back of corn flakes boxes.
its cost us more to build a stupid on road tram system than it has cost america to put men into space )
You're rite I have noticed some weird shit here in Sussex like the busiest road going from east to west, the A27 has a level crossing over it that is closed for 27 minutes out of every hour and in some places goes through small towns and has a 30 mph speed limit. The A259 which is the coastal route has a swing bridge over it in Newhaven and when it opens up all traffic comes to a stand still, in addition it has a single lane bridge over the Cuckmere river that also causes traffic to back up for mile during peak hour. Generally speaking the infrastructure here in Sussex sucks.
But on the other hand there are a lot of really nice B roads that look totally awesome for bikes like the B2089 between Rye and Battle. I plan on doing this ride on the weekend and taking some pics.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Provisional Novice

It's not just Sussex, It's the whole country.

Probably because we use roads/trails that have been around before the dawn of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode