Speed camera help - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: Yellow 03 Fazer 1000 & 86 KTM 250
Speed camera help

This morning my wife received a letter stating that she was caught doing 37 in a 30 zone and I have a few questions about this.
1. How many points will she get and how much will this cost?
2. According to this letter the offence took place on the 24.02.2004 and I read something in a bike mag that this notice must be sent within 2 weeks of the offence, can you guys shed some light on this?
Thanks

This is my wifeís first ever fine in 8 years of driving and she is shitting herself.
She is not too concerned about the fine but the points piss her off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Superstock

Motorcycle: GIXXERUK
Re: Speed camera help

1. 3 points and a £60 fine
2. i'm pretty sure an NIP (notice of intention to prosecute) has to be sent within 14 days otherwise it isnt valid
when is the letter dated that it was sent ? you could phone CAB (citizens advice bureau ) they could probably shed some light on this
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Superstock

What the Law says
If you are not stopped at the time of the offence, then the police are required by law to serve a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' within 14 days. The original 1988 Road Traffic Offenders act required this to be done using registered or recorded delivery post to your 'last known address' (see the relevant section 1988 Act) but has the stipulation that this condition will be assumed to have been met unless and until proven otherwise - not a problem if recorded delivery was used.

In 1994 the act was amended to allow the use of 1st class post. The assumption that the NIP delivery condition has been met however remains. It is thus sufficient for the police to say that they sent the NIP and up to you to prove that they didn't. Exactly how this is to be achieved is not specified and it is very likely contrary to European Human Rights legislation. This change in the law is particularly odd when you realise that the Royal Mail itself admits that 0.5 million letters each week are not delivered correctly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.loomes/speeding/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Superstock

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/

good site ,lots of info mate
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: Yellow 03 Fazer 1000 & 86 KTM 250

Thanks for all your in put. The NIP was posted on 07.04.2004 and as the offence was on the 24.02.2004 that makes 44 days. One problem though as it is a company car and I guess the NIP was first sent to the leasing company or to her employer this could explain the delay. I will follow this up though.

Thanks again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Superstock

best of luck mate
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:44 AM
PDF
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 k5

Yeah sorry to say, they have to send the initial NIP to the registered keeper of the veh - ie the company.......

At that speed she'll get 3 points and £60 pound fine - not really worth fighting cos if she gets guilty at court..the fine will go up, pluis costs, plus possibly more points...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Squid

A guy i work with was able to escape points/fines in my department because he was 'caught' while driving a company car. His argument was that he doesn't remember driving the car, and our company doesn't keep a detailed log of who was driving the car- in reality hundreds of people are insured to drive the car- it could have been anyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode