American possibly moving to Europe - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: currently 04 R1
American possibly moving to Europe

I'm an American and have lived here my whole life, I started saving money not long ago to move out of the state i'm currently in, however a good friend of mine and I decided we want to move out of the country all together, at least for a little while...

We both speak English and no other languages(never had the need to learn any other than spanish). My friend and myself are shooting for the move around Febuary-March realistically so we can go with plenty of cash. We talked about Ireland(i'm part Irish), England, and Germany, my friend has family in Germany so that would work out great...some of our biggest concerns are what European countries have the longest riding season We will more than likely disassemble our bikes and ship them to where we will be living and re-assemble them there, as that will be a primary mode of transportation, which brings me to my next question, as many of you may know the US is not strict at all on motorcycle lisences to say the least(you go to the DMV and pass an extremley easy 25 question computer test and get your permit, go across the street and buy a hayabusa, ZX-14 or whatever and you're legally ready to ride), there is an MSF course that is a very good idea for anyone to take but a lot of idiots don't because it's not madatory. What will we have to do in order to legally ride our motorcycles in Europe? Will we have to ride smaller bikes for a certain amount of time or can we keep our 1000's we've been riding in the US?

Also, given we are planning to come with plenty of money, we need to get jobs to secure income, any suggestions on this? I've heard working at bars and such is an option but i'm just looking for more alternatives. for the first short period of time we will probably be staying at a military base in Germany as my friends brother lives there but we will need to find another place to stay shortly after, possibly relocate to a more "english speaking friendly" location

Any help or advice on this is much appreciated, by the way we have done research and gotten some info. however it would be nice to get some good help from you guys that live there. Thanks a lot for any response

Last edited by Chillywater; 11-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD 98´ Street bike. GSX-R750 SRAD 99´ Track bike
Re: American possibly moving to Europe

Hi!

I´m from Denmark(you know, the small country, with polar bears in the streets )

My parents live in Holland, and i´ve traveled allot across Europe.

First of all, u need to think about some sort of Visa(visum), or at least a working permission, otherwise your in big trouble if you take a job, somewhere over here.

Almost every western European country learn there young ones English in school, so they speak it almost everywhere, however some populations are more willing to do so, than others, fore example the French are not likely to speak anything else than french, and the Germans have first got it in there schools in like the 80´s, so it´s only the young population that speaks it.
the Dutch however, are very good in the english language, and so are any of the Scandinavian country's to.
Great britain and Ireland are of cause english speaking, but be aware that it rains A LOT in England!! But on the other hand, they have the little island called "Isle of man", witch have NO speeding limits (The same as some parts of the german "Autobahn" )

About the driving license, I´m not quite sure, but I´m 99% sure that you legally can drive here with the license that you already have, but the rules can vary from country to country.

About longest driving season, the rule is, that the longer to the south you go, the longer the season. Here in Denmark where I live, the season is possible from March to November, but only funny/nice from like April/May to October. The longer to the south you go, the warmer the weather.
Country´s like Spain, Italy or France are possible to drive almost all year round, only few days witch are to cold/bad weather for my preferences. But these country's speak very poor english, almost nobody, except in the big city´s speak english, so have that in mind.

Speaking about job possibility's, what are your skills? I´ts for example very easy to get a job as an "computer guy" even if you only speak english, as many major computer companies have english as there number one language internally in the company. Also construction companies employ "non native" workers... Limit is the sky

Have a nice trip
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R600

Hey bro, well I am in germany rightnow. I know for a fact you can NOT drive in germany without a international license. You will need to take a test here for it. Mine was a 100 questions but that is for military I don't know about civilians. The test is not that easy but with a little studyin not hard at all............As for you bike, you will be able to ride whatever you want cause you already got your american license. I know the germans have to start out with a small ass bike for about 2 yrs, it sucks for them. My friends is doing it rightnow.
When you get here be careful to follow the speedlimits cause depending where you will live they got them hidden everywhere and I mean everywhere, plus they won't pull you over they will just send you a letter in the mail with a bill. They even have regular civilian motorcycles with cameras now they follow you and pull you over, it's damn outrages. But then there is the Autobahn....al I can say is....bea careful!!!

Well hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: currently 04 R1

thanks a lot you guys, all this info really helps now i've just gotta actually do this
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Amateur

I was stationed in Italy. like marcus said, try get onto the base and see if you can take the test on post to get your license. Tell you germany's weather sucks. rains a lot. not too sure about the summertime. winters suck. not to many police trying to get you for speeding in italy. Would love to go back to europe for good also. You must get to italy for the pizza. not the stuff in the south thought. in the north.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R600

Rightnow the weather here is not bad for a german winter, no snow yet. I went ridin a couple days ago. You gotta watch the roads here though cause they get really slippy here when its a little wet..........In the summer it is not bad nice weather, not too hot like Texas 120, sweat your ass off in shorts and a shirt. But if you like to ride on tracks.......they got a ton here, like Nurnburgring, Spa, etc. I think I prob go to Spa this year.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Overpaid Grease Monkey

Motorcycle: K6 750

A few points for you to ponder on,

You will have to pay VAT (UK would be cheapest at 17 1/2% of the value that customs put on your bike, they will charge you VAT on the shipping chrges as well)your bikes when you bring them into Europe.

You can drive for up to 6 month in the UK on your US licence, Insurance is a different matter,

You could do a direct access test in the UK after doing a CBT and theory test. once you have that you are set for anywhere in the EEC.

The oil industry is screaming out for people, take a survival course in Aberdeen for approx. 800 pounds $1600.00 and you will make that back in the first week days working offshore as a roustabout / roughneck.

You would be better not bringing your bikes, but buying second hand here in the UK, it would save you a lot of hassle, not to mention cash in the end of the day,

We ride all year round in the U.K. well some of us do, (unlike like some of our pussy Euro neighbours) thank God for the Gulf Stream.

If you can get a job working offshore Denmark 28 days on 28 days off, you are set for Euro travel. Try Maersk drilling. Base yourself in the UK work month and month in Denmark, buy second hand bikes in the UK, insure them in the UK for Euro travel and head south, progressing farther north as you head towards July Aug Sept. and then start heading south again.

Sorted mate.
De Warf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 1956 Matchless G3 350cc, Pet 1986 Honda VF1000FII, Track 1992 Honda NC30, Wet Track 1994 Honda NC35, Road and track K6 Gixxer 750, Toy 1994 Mito 125, 07 Skygo 50cc Ped,

Done That Track
Silverstone GP, Donington GP, Olton Park GP, Cadwell Park Full, Croft, Knockhill, Anglesey Coastal, Malory Park (Pish), Val De Vienne Full, Nagaro GP, Magny Cour GP,

Trackdays 96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 04 600 Black/Orange

If I were to move from Belgium, it would have to be either Germany for it's Autobahn and the Nürburgring (not to mention great Mosel wine ) or Italy for the sheer scenery while riding my bike... and the pasta ofcourse... hmmm, the food

UK and especially the Isle of Mann are appealing too, but the weather is "dubious" to put it mildly...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Overpaid Grease Monkey

Motorcycle: K6 750

True; if you are afraid of riding in the wet don't come here, also toooooo many speed cameras and way tooooo much traffic south of the highland line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode