MWR stacks comparison - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
MWR stacks comparison

MWR stacks comparison
This is on my bike already had head and cams a stock bike I tuned before this comparison made 181 (full system, derestricted, and tuned) it was warm and humid

jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190515_154356_resized.jpg (62.4 KB, 93 views)
jimk7, Elduder and Lougsxr like this.
Karns Performance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Provisional Novice
 
jclark0213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 247
5hp just from velocity stacks!? Sheshhh.
jclark0213 is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 31
Garage
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
MWR stacks comparison
This is on my bike already had head and cams a stock bike I tuned before this comparison made 181 (full system, derestricted, and tuned) it was warm and humid

jason
The graph is a little hard to read but what I'm seeing is, 12k it makes more power, 13k dead even and 14k another 5hp jump. Is that correct? Also do you feel it's worth it?
Ignotbullet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotbullet View Post
The graph is a little hard to read but what I'm seeing is, 12k it makes more power, 13k dead even and 14k another 5hp jump. Is that correct? Also do you feel it's worth it?
exactly the same until 11k then 5 hp more the down to 1 hp at 12k then at 13,8k 9hp more

yes if you can gain that much for less then $100 per hp that is great.

jason
picto and Lougsxr like this.
Karns Performance is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Provisional Novice
 
stan55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Motorcycle: 2007 R1, 2015 R1, 2017 RSV-4 RR, and L8
Posts: 134
Re: MWR stacks comparison

How much for the stacks?
stan55 is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Garage
Re: MWR stacks comparison

https://www.superbikeunlimited.com/s...2017?limit=100 This is the website that I found them on. I would buy them if they were a little cheaper this seems steep for a simple part.
MarkPierson is online now  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPierson View Post
https://www.superbikeunlimited.com/s...2017?limit=100 This is the website that I found them on. I would buy them if they were a little cheaper this seems steep for a simple part.
you are paying for the R&D - they seem to be 3d printed. just for comparison the upper stacks from graves for the new R6 are 700

jason
Karns Performance is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:55 AM
The Crazy Hungarian
 
almano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R 750
Posts: 2,547
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Why is that dip around 12500-13000? Have You tried to tune it "out". Any idea why that happening?
almano is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

it isnt a dip that is feel-able ( the only dips that are feel-able are when there is a loss of power) the afr is straight as an arrow in this range i
believe it is where the engine starts sucking more from the bottom stacks and dosent use the top as much.

jason
Karns Performance is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,782
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
it isnt a dip that is feel-able ( the only dips that are feel-able are when there is a loss of power) the afr is straight as an arrow in this range i
believe it is where the engine starts sucking more from the bottom stacks and dosent use the top as much.

jason

Jason, you mentioned aftermarket cams earlier. What's the deal on that, are they cams that disable the VVT function of the stockers? Can you elaborate a bit on use case there, where/when do the stockers not become ideal?
SPL170db is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
Jason, you mentioned aftermarket cams earlier. What's the deal on that, are they cams that disable the VVT function of the stockers? Can you elaborate a bit on use case there, where/when do the stockers not become ideal?
they are the Yosh cams. they keep the VVT. there is a couple ways to go now, but i only would use the ones that keep the VVT - the midrange is still very good. this bike is still making over 140hp and 80ftlbs of torque at 9k. -that is directly due to the VVT (that dosent start working until 10k) the cams are more track oriented for top end. but what surprised me it the no loss except below 4k and the idle not great. on my 05 with yosh cams and stock bore it felt slow more 750 like below 8k.

the issue that this has created for me is drive ability im having difficulty holding on to it at my last track day i can lap faster short shifting it about 12k. but it is pretty spectacular to run it out. i just got back from Pitt Race and it was alot harder to ride then the stock bike. when i was at Summit a few weeks ago it is fun to ride but i have to readjust my brake markers. the bike was 14mph faster on the front straight then i have ever been before. also lifting the front wheel in 5th gear is pretty impressive (the gearing is close to stock). i could pass any of the new 1000s on the front straight at will. i have never had a bike do that. but if they got a really good drive off 10 it was 3/4 of the way down the front straight and then i was all messed up going into 1.

Im going to be at NJMP on June 2nd with N2 if you are going id like to meet. we have been there before at the same time but id like to put a face to the avatar.

jason
picto and Lougsxr like this.
Karns Performance is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:52 AM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,782
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
they are the Yosh cams. they keep the VVT. there is a couple ways to go now, but i only would use the ones that keep the VVT - the midrange is still very good. this bike is still making over 140hp and 80ftlbs of torque at 9k. -that is directly due to the VVT (that dosent start working until 10k) the cams are more track oriented for top end. but what surprised me it the no loss except below 4k and the idle not great. on my 05 with yosh cams and stock bore it felt slow more 750 like below 8k.

the issue that this has created for me is drive ability im having difficulty holding on to it at my last track day i can lap faster short shifting it about 12k. but it is pretty spectacular to run it out. i just got back from Pitt Race and it was alot harder to ride then the stock bike. when i was at Summit a few weeks ago it is fun to ride but i have to readjust my brake markers. the bike was 14mph faster on the front straight then i have ever been before. also lifting the front wheel in 5th gear is pretty impressive (the gearing is close to stock). i could pass any of the new 1000s on the front straight at will. i have never had a bike do that. but if they got a really good drive off 10 it was 3/4 of the way down the front straight and then i was all messed up going into 1.

Im going to be at NJMP on June 2nd with N2 if you are going id like to meet. we have been there before at the same time but id like to put a face to the avatar.

jason

Ahh, good info. Improved power output without the tradeoffs of traditional cams if pretty cool.

My next TD is actually NYST on June 8th at the moment. You can peek in here from time to time, us NE guys chat about where we're riding next.

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/53-nor...ml#post9556310
SPL170db is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 9
Garage
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
exactly the same until 11k then 5 hp more the down to 1 hp at 12k then at 13,8k 9hp more

yes if you can gain that much for less then $100 per hp that is great.

jason
Once fitted, I assume the fueling needs to be fine tuned again?
Lougsxr is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lougsxr View Post
Once fitted, I assume the fueling needs to be fine tuned again?
i did not change the fueling at all between either runs. - i actually ran out of time i will probably trim it a bit later

jason
Lougsxr likes this.
Karns Performance is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:19 AM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
 
XCSEDAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nth Melb AUS
Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Posts: 1,993
Garage
Re: MWR stacks comparison

wow... holy hell Jason... thats impressive!
XCSEDAN is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 139
Re: MWR stacks comparison

i just received mine today and plan on installing them
very interesting thread too
peterj59 is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 139
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Jason how did you attach the upper fuel rail, the mwr stacks dont have the posts that the bolt goes into, i ended up using lock nuts and two plastic washers underneath with the oem bolts
peterj59 is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 PM
Provisional Novice
 
jclark0213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lougsxr View Post
Once fitted, I assume the fueling needs to be fine tuned again?
i did not change the fueling at all between either runs. - i actually ran out of time i will probably trim it a bit later

jason
No tuning needed!? #NextPurchase
Karns Performance likes this.
jclark0213 is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Karns Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: pa
Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k
Posts: 1,300
Re: MWR stacks comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj59 View Post
Jason how did you attach the upper fuel rail, the mwr stacks dont have the posts that the bolt goes into, i ended up using lock nuts and two plastic washers underneath with the oem bolts
im have a bit of OCD i used fender washers nyloc nuts and loctite

jason
Lougsxr likes this.
Karns Performance is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 139
Re: MWR stacks comparison

thanks Jason
ocd myself i have a label maker and printed "BEWARE lock NUTs UNDERNEATH" and placed it just above those two rail bolts
so i remember and the two nuts dont fall into throttle body
Karns Performance likes this.
peterj59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison between stock velocity stacks and short stacks Karns Performance 2017 GSX-R1000 12 12-15-2017 05:44 AM
Comparison between stock air filter and MWR race Karns Performance 2017 GSX-R1000 16 09-19-2017 06:12 AM
Introducing EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER IridiumRed GSX-R1000 General Forum 1101 05-27-2016 06:02 AM
Funny thing about the velocity stacks 6gsxrs GSX-R1000 General Forum 13 06-30-2007 01:38 PM
Short Stacks / Test JaBoe GSX-R1000 General Forum 13 04-29-2004 03:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome