1000R and Lithium Battery Question - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

1000R and Lithium Battery Question

Hi, my name is Michael,
I'm new to the forum, and new to the bike, I got a 2018 1000R and decided to swap the battery (which is lead, despite the bike being announced with Lithium) for a Lithium battery (like I did on my other bikes) as a cheap way to save a few pounds.. I got myself an Antigravity battery, the YTZ-10S equivalent and mounted it with no problems.
On my first ride, the bike seemed to work fine, but after about 10mins the ABS light started flickering, bike stuttered, and then the speedo displayed zero, and both the ABS and Traction Control lights came on. Bike was running fine, but no ABS and TC.
I checked the sensor, and couldn't find anything by visual inspection. Before taking the bike apart to measure the sensor at the connector (under the airbox - sigh!), I swapped in the original battery and went for a test ride again. Everything was fine! None of my other bikes had a similar problem.

My question is, did anyone swap their battery for a Lithium and it worked fine? This would be on a 1000R with ABS still on the bike.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Track Day Winner

Hi look forward to the replies you get as I’m looking to do the same in the future. 👍
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2017 GSXR 1000R, 2014 Aprilia Tuono
Garage
Re: 1000R and Lithium Battery Question

Those types of gremlins can happen when you have a loose battery cable. Maybe you you installed it slightly loose? or maybe the battery terminals are bad internally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

It was definitely not a loose battery cable, I used serrated washers on the terminals, they were tight. Internally loose cables? Possible, hard to check without cracking the battery open.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k

the lithium batteries can fail internally quicker than a lead acid one because there is wires inside that can come loose.

i switched to a ballistc with no issues.

jason
oldgixxer likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hmm interesting, battery was brand new, and issue started 10 mins into a ride over a less than perfect (bumpy) road. Now I feel like taking the battery apart and find out
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolby View Post
Hmm interesting, battery was brand new, and issue started 10 mins into a ride over a less than perfect (bumpy) road. Now I feel like taking the battery apart and find out
send it back if you take it apart they wont do any warranty just talk to them

jason
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karns Performance View Post
the lithium batteries can fail internally quicker than a lead acid one because there is wires inside that can come loose.

i switched to a ballistc with no issues.

jason
I am also using Ballistic with no issues.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks for all your responses.
I just checked Ballistic's website, and it seems like they're shutting down operations.

I'm currently testing another theory, I retraced all my steps in mounting the battery in the first place, and found that I used a wrong bolt to mount one of the cables to the battery post.
The bolt was from the original battery and was tight, but bottomed out, so the cable could have been loose.
Maybe cdcom was right all along
I rode into work this morning, and so far no issues, but more testing is needed.
I'll update the thread with my findings.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Squid

I installed a Earth-X lithium battery in my '17 1000R during its first service and haven't had any problems at all since. I like the Earth-X lithium battery because it has a built in cell balancer.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

That's one of the reasons I bought the Antigravity, it has a built-in BMS protection against over-/under-charging, and cell balancing.

I did a one hour ride during lunch time, and fingers crossed, everything worked fine.
For now, I'm going with user error, connecting one cable with the wrong bolt to the battery pole.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Back to waiting for Carbonin to ship some shiny parts
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Squid

Garage

You've had a few months since post. Are you still problem free because I am having the same issue now. Thanks in advance.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2019 GSXR1000

Can I ask how much weight you saved ? And how much it cost you ?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick_UK View Post
Probably saved a couple pounds but the cost is relative to where one lives.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2019 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Probably saved a couple pounds but the cost is relative to where one lives.
Bike and rider probably weight 600 pounds, so an expensive saving of 2 pounds seems a bit strange.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:57 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick_UK View Post
For a yuasa lead acid battery i was quoted $200 for factory replacement (best deal i could find on the YTZ10S, was quoted up to $349)
$300 for a high end lithium with cell balancing and surge/short protection
weight saving is about 2kg with this particular battery (R has small battery from factory), for a normal size bike battery its 3-4kg, its handy as a bi-product, but unless its a race bike its kinda pointless, the main reason for wanting one is the fact they don't discharge when sitting idle, also they tend to hold a higher cranking capacity compared to AH than lead acid.

cons - dangerous if shorted/overcharged/overdischarged, cannot use normal charger, must use a lithium type charger.

K3 600 Gixxer: Nicknamed; DROP SLUT - RIP 15/1/16 killed by a suicidle kangaroo - nek minnit track bike
07 CBR1000RR - Dead thanks Mr Cager
L7 GSX-R 1000R - Black - Stock
XC Falcon Sedan (351, toploader, 9"), 97 MX5 - Daily
saying of the day "she wants an Alabama Hot Pocket"
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: K41K

LOL you can get a ghetto brand LA battery for like 80 bucks here in Canada. Left it in all winter and it still works.
proze likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: K5 GSXR 1000 , K2 GSXR 1000

I was going to buy a Lithium for my K5 1000 but two of the battery shops i spoke with advised me to stay away from Lithiums for now as the technology isn't quite there yet for some older bikes. I also heard 2 stories of them overheating while riding on a couple of bikes. Has anyone used a Lithium on any older models with success?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnova View Post
I was going to buy a Lithium for my K5 1000 but two of the battery shops i spoke with advised me to stay away from Lithiums for now as the technology isn't quite there yet for some older bikes. I also heard 2 stories of them overheating while riding on a couple of bikes. Has anyone used a Lithium on any older models with success?
I've used lithium batteries on both my K6 and my 2008 B king for years with complete success so far. Both were Ballistic brand.

I'm using a Shorai lithium in my KTM 1290 with good results also.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 AM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspeed View Post
LOL you can get a ghetto brand LA battery for like 80 bucks here in Canada. Left it in all winter and it still works.
you can get cheap ones here too for around the $100-120 mark but not in the factory R size, or i could build my own if i really wanted to.
I've worked with lithium batteries since 2003, i want one with an inbuilt cell balancer and short protection, they produce a chemical fire thats near on impossible to put out if shit goes sideways.
cheap ones are just a battery, no circuit protection, no inbuilt balancing and no voltage cutoff = accident waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnova View Post
that's complete bullshit, maybe issues with cheap batteries perhaps, but lithium cells have been commonplace since early 00s in other systems, the techs good to go, I've had one in my k3 since 2013/14.
as always look for a reputable brand though, but so long as your voltage doesn't spike, an older bike should be fine

K3 600 Gixxer: Nicknamed; DROP SLUT - RIP 15/1/16 killed by a suicidle kangaroo - nek minnit track bike
07 CBR1000RR - Dead thanks Mr Cager
L7 GSX-R 1000R - Black - Stock
XC Falcon Sedan (351, toploader, 9"), 97 MX5 - Daily
saying of the day "she wants an Alabama Hot Pocket"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode