Luggage for GSXR1000R L7 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Luggage for GSXR1000R L7

Hello. Iím new to forum and indeed Suzuki ownership having just traded in my 2014 Ďblade for a L7 GSXR 1000R. So far Iím very happy indeed and very much looking forward to some track action when the weather improves in 2018. I usually do a few trips each year Ė Wales, Nurburgring, Spain, Alps sorts of stuff Ė so luggage is quite important. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable luggage systems? My Tail tidy precludes throw over bags which will hit the indicators, and the lack of space under the pillion seat due to ABS and Rapidbike unit makes getting Kreiga straps around the sub-frame rather difficult. I came across the SW Motech Blaze system that looks great, however they donít do one for the L7 and have no plans to do so either. Ventura do one but itís as ugly as sin.

And before anyone responds with Ďget a tourerí the entire point of taking a weapons-grade sportsbike to amazing roads is hooning like a lunatic once there.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2017 GSXR1000R
Re: Luggage for GSXR1000R L7

I seen some that go on top of the fuel tank on the Suzuki web site.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceats View Post
Hello. Iím new to forum and indeed Suzuki ownership having just traded in my 2014 Ďblade for a L7 GSXR 1000R. So far Iím very happy indeed and very much looking forward to some track action when the weather improves in 2018. I usually do a few trips each year Ė Wales, Nurburgring, Spain, Alps sorts of stuff Ė so luggage is quite important. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable luggage systems? My Tail tidy precludes throw over bags which will hit the indicators, and the lack of space under the pillion seat due to ABS and Rapidbike unit makes getting Kreiga straps around the sub-frame rather difficult. I came across the SW Motech Blaze system that looks great, however they donít do one for the L7 and have no plans to do so either. Ventura do one but itís as ugly as sin.

And before anyone responds with Ďget a tourerí the entire point of taking a weapons-grade sportsbike to amazing roads is hooning like a lunatic once there.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Why don't you just wear a riding backpack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people in a "special" way

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroTheHero View Post
Why don't you just wear a riding backpack?
From personal expirience riding long distance on gixxers..riding with a backpack is a nono. For short trips it's OK but for long trips it's going to kill your back.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post
From personal expirience riding long distance on gixxers..riding with a backpack is a nono. For short trips it's OK but for long trips it's going to kill your back.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Unless he is putting like 20lbs in the backpack I don't see a problem. I rode my bike for 5 hours with a "2 day bag" and didn't have a problem. It could also depend on the type of backpack, if he has the shoulder straps properly adjusted and his riding position.

Regardless, I don't see much available options that are going to hold a lot of stuff.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

One of the best rides I've ever been on was 5 days / 2300 kms around new england in Oct '05... on a borrowed little 636. My buddy brought the missus on his ZX10R. We both just used tank bags and did 'laundry' in hotel rooms.

She wore a small backpack and we all lived to tell the story.

Unless you buy a goldwing, pack accordingly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 Mad River_08 scoots.jpg (110.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 08 Bar harbour_31 why Steve is pouting.jpg (73.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 10 ride around Maine 3 Steve & Vero on ZX10.jpg (41.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 09 Cadillac mountain 09 my ride.jpg (51.3 KB, 24 views)
NeroTheHero likes this.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
One of the best rides I've ever been on was 5 days / 2300 kms around new england in Oct '05... on a borrowed little 636. My buddy brought the missus on his ZX10R. We both just used tank bags and did 'laundry' in hotel rooms.

She wore a small backpack and we all lived to tell the story.

Unless you buy a goldwing, pack accordingly.
This post just makes me want to take a ride across the country on a whim . I'm sure you had a blast.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroTheHero View Post
This post just makes me want to take a ride across the country on a whim . I'm sure you had a blast.
That one was very-much 'on a whim'.

One gorgeous October day in '05, the weather forecast was calling for a particularly gorgeous week. My buddy and his GF spontaneously decide to go for a big fall tour around VT/CT/NH/ME. But not many can spontaneously take a week off work whenever they want. I can. So he asks if I want to go. I said 'sounds great... but I don't have a bike, remember?'

This buddy of mine had a T-rex at that time Some tool I've still never met "Todd" crashed my buddy's T-rex and even refused to at least pay the $1000 deductible. So my buddy made "Todd" lend his 636 to a complete stranger - moi - for a week as 'payment'.

And the next day, off we went on one of the best fall rides ever just as the leaves were starting to change color. Score!

The moral of the story is: a tank bag is plenty if you don't bring the kitchen sink. We weren't lacking anything.

But I digest. As you were....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09 Cadillac mountain 07 view of Bar Harbour.jpg (70.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 10 ride around Maine 1 Veronique & her bitch.jpg (56.8 KB, 25 views)
NeroTheHero likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for all responses. It seems a small tail-pack is probably the best solution. Tank packs are fine but on unlimited autobahn give aero-tuck problems which sorts of defeats the point of taking the L7 there. The issue is touring in Europe: in the Alps this year it ranged from 35C down to 4C, so you need quite a range of clothing to facilitate enjoyment. Iím not advocating hard luggage, but a tank-bag or rucksack alone is too austere for me.

Iíve got a Kreiga 35L backpack that works pretty well if not stuffed to the gunnels and due to the chest closure system is pretty comfortable for extended touring. So that with a tail-pack will likely have to do again.

Thanks all.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Yeah, but I'm with you, having bought a L7 yesterday, I was then faced with a moment of hmmmm...
I have a Kriega US20 which is a banging piece of luggage and good for long weekend/a week touring.
I'm south of UK and also do the Wales or into Europe trips like you and frankly - I don't want to cough up for more stuff.

I don't like wearing backpacks because it forces weight forward and after a few hours you really start to feel it - even with the psychobabble design of a kriega 'riding backpack'. Instead I like my gear to be on the bike - not on me.

I think you can get the straps in around the sub-frame but it does mean taking the rear off, I'm debating on doing it whilst I sort out the tail tidy job seeing as it all has to come off for that.

The other option I am looking at is the Kriega tank adapter, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where the velcro stickies would go to fix it on the underside. I really want to avoid yet more money on gear just for a magnetic tank bag that probably wont fit jeans and trainers in let alone anything else.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Oh! the other thing I'd say is I have actually seen someone is selling a luggage rack now for the L7, the oldschool type where it is a rack at the back past the tail. Not sure on that because hey, it is ugly!
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

renntec is your friend
https://renntec.com/suzuki-gsxr1000-...-in-black.html
beeboy likes this.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sails View Post
But I digest. As you were....
Did you have a big meal?
MacBayne likes this.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN View Post
Thanks for posting. Been looking for such a beast. I'm amazed the sportbikes are not cruisers gang didn't proliferate.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
Thanks for posting. Been looking for such a beast. I'm amazed the sportbikes are not cruisers gang didn't proliferate.
i daily my bike... my old 600 once had a crankshaft from a stroker 460bb ford tied to the rack
gotta do what you gotta do.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Squid

Garage

I have an '07 GSXR750 that I use as a daily, so far the best thing that I've done is ordering a cheap bungee net off of Amazon. You can through duffel bags or packs on the tail of your bike and use your rear pegs to secure it. Absolute life (and back) saver. Picture from google for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99265d1318714715-bungee-net-camping.jpg (117.9 KB, 18 views)
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

I can't believe that lady rode around on the back of that zx10 for that long.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by avangelist View Post
Oh! the other thing I'd say is I have actually seen someone is selling a luggage rack now for the L7, the oldschool type where it is a rack at the back past the tail. Not sure on that because hey, it is ugly!
Iíve seen a few racks but agree - the Ventura and others are rather minging. The best Iíve seen is the SW Mototech Blaze kit as has semi-soft panniers held away from the exhaust. Except they donít do it for the L7Ö

However, Iím off to the Nurburgring next week and have settled on, like yourself, a Kreiga US 20 as Iíve now managed to get the connection straps around the sub-frame. Fiddley to do, but works. On top of the US 20 a US 10. Iíve found that if you wrap some soft rubber luggage matting (ebay anti-slip mat Ė Oxford do it for £12 or so, but other Chinese copies are available for much less) 360 deg around the tail unit then bungees wrapped under the seat hold the entire thing in place very securely and donít damage the paint work. Might work for you too. Good luck!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000R / ZX-7R / CBRF4i / SV650 / CB-1

I think if you're serious about luggage, Ventura is the way to go. Ugly? Sure. Of course it is. But it's functional. And near as I know they're the only ones who offer fitted saddlebags (not throw-overs). I ran a Ventura rack/bag on my Aprilia RSV4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luggage 1.jpg (57.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Luggage 2.jpg (32.9 KB, 17 views)
XCSEDAN, Elduder and Coyotegsxr like this.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Definitely functional, but i just couldn't do that to her. :-) As it's only for occasional trips of less than a week I'll stick to my Kreiga US20 and add a couple of US10s as needed. But thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode