Track days - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR 600
Track days

Ok so im interested in doing track days after going to the bike show and talking to a guy from the penguin racing school.
I have no track experience and consider myself an above average aggressive street rider.

I have also heard about tony's track days and absolute cycle.. is there any benefits one school has over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.
Re: Track days

above average, aggressive street rider, hey? prepare to get humbled.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

^^^ what he said.

You think you're a good rider until a control rider rips past you, turns backwards, rides one handed, and points to the line you should be one. They're doing this while you're thinking you're at the edge.....

As for the differences between schools.... just read reviews. I doubt anyone has ever attended both and can give a real perspective which one is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Penguin's a good one, its run by Eric Wood. Keith Code's California Superbike School and Jason Pridmore's Star School are 2 other good ones. Pretty sure they all go to NJMP at some points throughout the season if you are interested in actually doing a school first.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Before you do a road race school like Penguin, you should look into doing a beginner track day school, like Team Pro-Motion's ART school. That is a great start to a track riding career.

Do that, get a few beginner track days under your belt, then do a road race school.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 08 GSX-R600

^ this
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I have no delusions that my street riding will have me prepared for the track I understand its a different world which is what I'm looking for. (I did say SCHOOL not AMA application )

And the beginner course sounds like a good idea.. jus wanna kno the best ones recommended. . I wanna go about this in the most productive manner and not be wasting time. . as I am not rich lol.

I will check out the one Anthony D posted
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2009 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
above average, aggressive street rider, hey? prepare to get humbled.
+1000000

I thought I was pretty good right up until the pavement, ditch and fence taught me otherwise.

Op- do you research for all the outfits that operate within the area you are willing yo go. Pick the one that best suits your needs and goals.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

Garage

Yeah, as long as you remember that street fast is nowhere near track fast, ans leave your ego at the gates, you will be fine.

Definitely do TPM's ART school at New Jersey Motorsports Park's Thunderbolt course. It is the best in our area.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yea Alabusa I see different ones come to NJMP which is good for me.. but since I spoke directly to an instructor from penguin (never heard of them before this) I was interested in them. . BUT I would like to make sure there a good school for a new track rider vs the ones I already heard about.. because he did say they have a beginner course

Trust me im doing research. I just like to hear from the experienced guys first hand
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks Anthony D

Good thing its winter so I won't have to rush my decision. ..

But bad thing its winter cause id rather be riding
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
MotoGP

Garage

I strongly advise the Penguin school, Eric and Jeff are great coaches. I got my race license through the Penguin school.

However, I don't think you should start there, like I said.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
AKA Pee Wee Herman

Motorcycle: Street:2018Z125ProKRT Track:2007GSXR600

TPMs ART 1 is one of the best there is. (IMO)

TPM also has a lot more days at NJMP and other tracks so you will be able to do more days if (when) you become addicted to riding track.

I have ridden with a few different orgs and have found TPM offers more to their members than other orgs do in terms of dates, value, tracks offered and coaching available. Then go with one of the race schools.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 08 GSXR 1K 05 SV650 Race 05SV650 Street 08 FJR1300

I'm an instructor with Tony's Track Days
We won't be riding at NJMP this year. But we will be riding the fabulous new track that is New York Safety Track and the new track in Thompson CT.

We have a really well planned first timer program that really get's folks off on the right foot. We offer quite a bit more classroom instruction than the average track day. It is not mandatory but it is there if you want it. One thing we pride ourselves on is that a first timer can come and ride and not feel intimidated. As your skills progress we will bump you along into the faster groups.

Take a peek around a sight. Ask some questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

If you can only get to NJMP I would whole hardheartedly recommend Penguin. Eric and his crew are top notch.

Come on out to the track and have fun and learn a thing or two. We have a blast helping people..
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 05:21 PM
AKA Pee Wee Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I'm an instructor with Tony's Track Days
We won't be riding at NJMP this year. But we will be riding the fabulous new track that is New York Safety Track and the new track in Thompson CT.

We have a really well planned first timer program that really get's folks off on the right foot. We offer quite a bit more classroom instruction than the average track day. It is not mandatory but it is there if you want it. One thing we pride ourselves on is that a first timer can come and ride and not feel intimidated. As your skills progress we will bump you along into the faster groups.

Take a peek around a sight. Ask some questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

If you can only get to NJMP I would whole hardheartedly recommend Penguin. Eric and his crew are top notch.

Come on out to the track and have fun and learn a thing or two. We have a blast helping people..
NYST can, pardon my french, hug a dick.

They have a shit hole of a paddock, and their business ethics leave a LOT to be desired. They worked their asses off to get the track open in record time, which I have to appreciate, but business partners should not be used as rungs to get to the top of the ladder.

I am excited about seeing a new track come in CT and hope it turns out better than Louden.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman View Post
TPMs ART 1 is one of the best there is. (IMO)

TPM also has a lot more days at NJMP and other tracks so you will be able to do more days if (when) you become addicted to riding track.

I have ridden with a few different orgs and have found TPM offers more to their members than other orgs do in terms of dates, value, tracks offered and coaching available. Then go with one of the race schools.
STT is better for beginners IMO
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 PM
AKA Pee Wee Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
STT is better for beginners IMO
Not in the northeast
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1986 GSX-R1100 & 1979 GS 850GN

I've been doing some research on this for the last few months. I'll be starting out in NH then maybe going down to CT. I'd like to do Tony Track Days but he will not be in NH much this coming summer. Although currently he is in NH May 12th.

If I don't make it there then I'll be going with Fishtails track days. I plan on a couple track days and if all goes well then taking the Penguin school. This seem to be the route most riders take up this way and all have mostly good things to say about these 2 track day organizations and the Penguin school.

1986 GSXR 1100G
1979 GS 850GN
2004 SV650 track bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2013 Suzuki GSXR600

I'm sure any schooling is very helpful for you. There probably is some better than others. But, trackdays are awesome. You really get to learn a lot, way more than on the street. Make sure when you do go to hook up w a control rider. They will give u a tow around the track to show u the best lines, also will give u advice on body position, things like that. Tracks are nice bc u obviously don't have to worry about cops, and can push the bike as hard as ur ability allows u.
IMO when u first start doing trackdays or schooling, really work on body position and ur lines before trying to go as fast as u can. Working on these 2, will allow u to become smooth and eventually become faster and faster...
I made the mistake of this when first starting . I just wanted to go fast. Well fast IMO probably slow to others haha. But now I'm trying to break bad habits that i picked up by not first working on body position and smooth lines...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Whatever org or school you choose, do yourself a favor and forget a large portion of what you think you know. Don't show up and try to see how fast you can go before you fall down... only one way to find out , bin your shit. Ending a first weekend with wadded up shit is not fun.

I have a few blogs that may be good to read as a newbie. WWW.gomotojoe.com/blog or www.gomotocoaching.com/blog

One of those two has a mobile version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode