Good News! (esp since Stratotech is closing this year)
Reps from the proposed Rockyview Motorsports Park (RMP) were at Grey Eagle Casino's regular Wild Wednesdays car show & shine in southwest Calgary today, chatting it up and collecting signatures on petitions supporting the construction of the Park. Expect they may be a regular fixture there. Some may recall RMP had an announcement last summer outlining their commitment and process, see another thread on this site.
- RMP Track is going ahead for sure, are working with the Rockyview County, Town of Airdrie, residents and other permitting authorities. Noise does not appear to be a big issue (!).
- MARCS (members Rick Coutts, Alderman Shane Keating, Alta XprtMinister Rick McIver, Cardel Homes Pres Ryan Oakey, with rep from CMRA by pres Tim Johnson) was instrumental in selecting them to be the multisport facility succeeding Race City as announced. see http://marcscalgary.blogspot.ca/
but last update there is Oct 2011. RMP rep says they regularly meet with MARCS members to keep things going, just no publicity.
- The Calgary Police Service are committed to using the track, or part of it, for driving training. That should help with authority support!
- Airdrie town is strongly supportive of it because of the economic benefit and just cuz they like bikes (I kinda added that part).
- They have a track layout designed by Hermann Tilke, the guy that did COTA and many of the current Formula 1 tracks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Tilke
. It is supposed to exploit the topo of the native land so lots of elevation changes. The picture shows a pretty condensed layout for viewing ease and less earthwork. Lots of ups and downs, 5.2km full circuit, 24 corners, lots of them tight, and 2 straights, longest is 1/2 km. I gave my professional advice to eliminate some of the niggly tight corners and give it more flow, and a longer straight. Note that they will build a separate dragstrip! I took a photo of the track layout and their Merc C63 car covered with film and decals of potential track supporters and other info, will try to figure out how to upload it.
- Here again is their website & email info:
- And recentish news: