Yo! Canadians, Why not be all weather riders? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yo! Canadians, Why not be all weather riders?

I've been reading a lot on the Canadian threads about those of you that have to wait for higher temperatures and I guess what you might call "sane" conditions before being able to take your bikes out.
Well, why not try ice racing when you can't use your street machine. As Canada gave us the totally mad sport of Ice Hockey I should think you would all be up for it.

Check out these links for some info and examples:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/ww...ace/index.html

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHjugQDLtI

and the folks on the YouTube clip are American. Are you going to let them steal the Canadian reputation for lunacy?
I hope to be coming from England to Nova Scotia very, very soon and intend to bring my '88 750 Gixxer with me, may stick nobblies on it for some dirt riding, like Kenny Roberts Snr. on the original OW01's for those of you old enough to remember, showing my age now. It has already been streetfightered with Renthal moto-x bars and all the plastics ripped-off. As I hear it NS had the first "proper" winter for a number of years last year so lets plan for some ice-racing this winter.

Wadda ya say?

Life's always better on two wheels! (Or One)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 97' Gixxer 750 Street Fighter, 99' GSX-R 750 SRAD
Re: Yo! Canadians, Why not be all weather riders?

there are actually a few pond racers out this way. Mostly dirt bike on it though, I think I only seen maybe 1 or 2 street bikes on the ice, and they didn't have tires anything like that. You'll find most of the people here in NS will ride right untill the snow falls on the streets then we all dig out the 4 wheelers or Dirt bikes and keep at it
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

After looking through the links for a few hours last night, it seems as though my initial impressions were mistaken and Canadian riders carry on through much more adverse weather conditions than first impressions indicated. They are indeed much more hardier souls than it seemed. I apologise if I slighted anyone. It will certainly be nice to know that I would not be looked upon as a nutter if I went riding in anything other than perfect conditions, as tends to happen in England nowadays, we have far too many "fair-weather riders" here. If they do get unexpectedly caught in a shower they then spend the next few hours cleaning and polishing the bike to within an inch of it's life. My attitude is if you want something that is sparkly and shiney, get a piece of jewellery, a bike is for riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Addicted to Track

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000, 99 SRAD 6/1000 Swap, 1998 GSXR 750 (track),1985 Z50 pit bike, 2005 RMZ 250 (Dirt)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gdwEVOvBY
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Addicted to Track

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000, 99 SRAD 6/1000 Swap, 1998 GSXR 750 (track),1985 Z50 pit bike, 2005 RMZ 250 (Dirt)

And here is another option .. I know its a Honda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt_catwalk.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	86297   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt-street-tire-2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	86298   Click image for larger version

Name:	roost.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	86299  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks Rip1973,

Great clip, as are some of the others that were listed there. I can't make out if the tyres have any grip aids such as studs, both riders show good machine control for such conditions. Have you tried any of that type of riding yourself? I would love to have a bash at it myself, perhaps this winter if I make it to NS and they have a winter like the last one.
As I said in my later post, I now realise that the Canadian riders are made of sterner stuff than first impressions. The photos of the Honda are interesting too. Did you get them off the 'net or are they your own? At least it looks as though I should be able to get suitable nobblies for the gixxer to give it a try. Maybe when I make it to NS some of you wouldn't mind showing me around and pointing out some of the good riding roads.
All the Best.

Rob54.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Addicted to Track

I am not from Nova Scotia.. I am from Ontario. I belong to a Sportbike club called Ontario Sport Riders and one of my members found the pictures of the Honda. I have not done any of that kind of riding but if it were available I may consider trying it. Lakes around here dont get thick enough ice to be able to do that. I usually ride till the beginning to mid November and sometimes get the bike out in late March or early April. If I can I will take the track bike to Florida to Jennings over the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crack Pipe Sounds Like ....
Track Bike for a reason
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thats a fair old schlep Rip1973, all the way to Florida from Ontario to ride your bike on a track, that's what I call devotion to riding. I realised that you were from Ontario but I was just addressing any NS riders who might help out a newcomer, I just didn't phrase it very well to get what I meant across, sorry. Having said that and as you are quite the traveller anyway you could always take a detour and visit NS. If I am in residence by then I would make you welcome at least, although the impression I get from the postings is that I would not be the only one. There has been mention of a track at Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia in the postings that sounds very promising. Perhaps you may want to bring your race bike over and stretch it's legs (tyres, whatever) a bit. If I can pick up a cheap hack, once I get myself sorted out a bit, I may give it a try myself, thats if they do track days like we do in England, as I don't have a racing licence. Anyone fancy making a day out of it?
If it snows we may be able to try some of the riding as in the vid clips after all.

All the Best,

Rob54.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 97' Gixxer 750 Street Fighter, 99' GSX-R 750 SRAD

The track in shubie is pretty good. Thing is Track days come few between on that track as its always bing used and preped for race groups. Lots of roads around that can be toured if your intersted. A good place to start is to grab the "Nova Scotia Motorcyclists Guide Book", shows all the road and how to get around. Also people around here are pretty good, if you stop at any tim hortons with some bikes there they will prolly be more then happy to show you around If your ever down the Truro / New Glasgow way drop me a message and I'll go out for a ride with ya.

NSbikers.ca

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks Darksoul,

As soon as my bike and I are able to re-unite in NS I will take you up on your offer, hopefully sooner rather than later. Will need some parts for the bike before I can use it in Canada though, headlamp and indicators that comply with the regs. I think I saw posted somewhere that only rear indicators are required but I have been reading so many postings I am not sure if I have it confused with requirements in the USA.

All The Best,

Rob54.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Addicted to Track

If your bike came with signal indicators (front and rear) you should have them. Even if they are not stock. (at least in Ontario... I work at a shop and my boss always fails safteys for not having an at least 3 candle power light for the licence plate) www.maximumcycle.ca
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks Rip1973,

I don't want to fall foul of the regulations before I have a chance to throw a leg over the bike. I'm just hoping the sea voyage won't play havoc with the old girl's workings, all that salt laden air. Maybe a good dousing of WD40 of Duck-Oil will protect her enough.

All the Best,

Rob54.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: too many too list

that bike is here in saskatoon, it is an 05 cbr 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode