Nova Scotia - Local Shops - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 97' Gixxer 750 Street Fighter, 99' GSX-R 750 SRAD
Nova Scotia - Local Shops

Hey guys, I'm in Westville Nova Scotia (Close to New Glasgow) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good local shop. I know about Centry Saw and Adventure Motors but I'll be honest, I have had nothing but horriable experiences with them. I usualy go to toads now, but was wondering is anyone knew a really good local shop. :confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Supersport

Re: Nova Scotia - Local Shops

You have Freedom Cycle in Halifax as well as Pro Cycle in Dartmouth. People usually have better experience at Freedom. I believe Power Wheels (Suzuki) in Truro is Ok as well. I like Sackville Motorsports, they are a Kawi dealer but can get accessories etc. You should check out and become a member of speedjunkie.ca there are some online Canadian vendors on that site and you'll gain valuable local info.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Yeah I know of all them shops. Problem once again is travel. Kind of cold in the winters to be riding around Getting a trailer isn't that hard, but getting it for any length of time is. Thats why I was looking towards something a bit more local. Might try hitting up Power Wheels, don't think I even been there.
As for speedjunkies, I been on thier site but don't go back to it too much. Never really cared for it personally, too much junk not enough info, though I do know people that use it faithfully and swear by it

NSbikers.ca

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

Yep... had nothing but bad experiences with Century Saw and Adventure Motors... It depends on what you need done at the shop, I guess. For Suzuki OE parts, I still use the Moncton stealership because of the discounts they'll give me. I'm usually up there once every couple months, so I tie in the trip for a parts run as well. If it's service, well, I dunno. I do most all my own w*rk on it, so I don't need anybody's service dept. I'll be hunting for another dealer to do my inspection in June, since Adventure's asshole mechanic failed my 3 year old front tire on some bullshit age cracking thing. I guess he didn't want to pass it without selling me something. Was planning on buying a new pair of tires from them for my other rims, but after that crackhead move... fuck 'em.

Might ride up to Truro to see what the Suzuki dealer there's like. Haven't been, yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

PowerWheels in Truo isn't much better then the guys down here. I will say I was in at Century yesterday asking about tires... in short pretty much the most expencive place I ever walked into for tires. BUT they are going to be taking in some Avon Storms in the spring which they are going to have on Discount (first time having them in) and a set would run about $280 + Tax. Think I might latch onto a set unless I can find something better down the road.

Best place to get an inspection is Toads in Dartmouth. Almost everything down here will fail you for just having flush mounts :\

NSbikers.ca

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

I like those Avon Storms... It's between them and the Bridgestone BT-021s at the moment. (I'm really limited because of the 18" rims) I had great pricing from Hi-Tech in Moncton for tires (free installation with purchase) which would beat everybody in NS, but that was last year in the early autumn. Thanks for the notice about Toads, I used to get an easy inspection from a dealer in Amherst, but it's been a few years since he was conveniently over the border from me storing the bike in Moncton.

Luckily, I don't run flushmounts. My OE jap/euro turn signals are small enough to almost appear like custom stalks. And the dark amber lens is sweet.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Track Day Winner

Hello All,

My first ever post on the web, though I may as well make it on a decent site.

I'd be interested in any shops that charge reasonable prices. Hoping to come to NS very soon, Oxford area, from England. Aim to bring my '88 750 Gixxer with me. Anyone able to point me in the direction of paperwork required to import, would be grateful. All I can find on the Gov' website is that I don't have to worry about the stringent regs for newer machines 'cause the old girl's getting on a bit but no detail to how to go about getting vehicle into Canada. I need to find out how to obtain any certification that allows for using her on Canadian roads, we call it an MOT certificate, needed yearly in England. Need to get a few bits like new tyres but am not sure whether to get them done before shipping if prices work out better here, which would be a surprise. Grateful for any input you can give.

All the Best,

Rob54
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Hey, for the paper work your best bet if to call Customs. They will tell you what you need to get it into Canada, other then that just give the Nova Scotia Department of Motor Vehicles a call and they will point you in the direction that you need to go. As for shops, where abouts are you going to be landing in NS? I stated above that Power Wheels in Truro is a bit expencive, but I have found their work as of late (new guy in shop) to be awesome. Avoid Anything in the New Glasgow area (cept maybe the new Honda Dealer, Never been there but hear good things) Toads in Halifax got on my bad side with a Carb issue, they usually have decent work, but I have been hearing more and more people saying that they are crap. Freedom or Pro Cycle in halifax are decent, but expensive. Just let us know where you will be in Nova Scotia and I can prolly point you in a better direction. You could also check the site in my sig, its a Nova Scotia based motorcycleing site, lots off info.

NSbikers.ca

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Track Day Winner

Thanks Darksoul,

I will give the NS motor vehicle licensing office a bell on Monday. My place is located about 4km from Oxford so anywhere around that locale would be best but any decent shop is usually worth a bit of travelling, so distance is not massively important, as long as it doesn't involve different time zones. Having trawled the links for a few hours last night the insurance costs in NS don't seem to be too harsh, though I will still have to get used to the different terms and abbreviations. For once I seem to have struck lucky in my choice of location. All in all, the more I read on the site the more optimistic I feel about my choice of new home. In searching through the site you seem to be one of the major contributors and I am grateful for your help.

All the Best,

Rob54.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Hey, havn't been around Oxford too much honestly. Just never seem to get that way to find a good shop just go to yellowpages.ca and do a search for Motorcycle in Oxford, Nova Scotia. Easy as that As for my site, yeah its a pretty small one (NS isn't that big, lol) but some good info pops into it. I know there are other sites out there for NS too, prolly a quick google would turn something up with more members
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Track Day Winner

Thanks Darksoul, seem to be using those words quite a bit lately.

The yellowpages.ca website came up with a shop called Central Powersport who are listed as "Yamaha Motorcycle, Snowmobile & A.T.V Dealer" in Springfield which according to my map seems to be not too far from my place. Has anyone dealt with them before or have any info regarding if they are any good?

All the Best,

Rob54.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Track Day Winner

My daughter just pointed out that Central Powersport is in Springhill and not Springfield, I think it is what you could call a "Doh!" moment, watching too much of The Simpon's I guess. Note to self, check ebay for replacement brain cell.

All the Best,

Rob54.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode