Importing new bike to Canada from US - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Importing new bike to Canada from US

Anybody done it? How hard would be to bring one from south of the border. With a CDN getting stronger and stronger compare to USD it would make sense to buy brand new bike on e-bay where you can pick one up for like $9,000-9,500 compare to the $13,500 at the dealer. And $13,500 thats absolute bottom price in Alberta for brand new out of the door (Blackfoot). Some stores selling them for $14,000-15,000.
As far as I understand I will have to pay some customs fee like $200 or so at the border then pay GST. Is that all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 600
Re: Importing new bike to Canada from US

Here's a pretty good write up on importing.....seems to be to BC, but should still be applicable to us: http://www.ldrider.ca/importing/importing.htm

Here's the actual government of Canada import site: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Good luck....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Here's a pretty good write up on importing.....seems to be to BC, but should still be applicable to us: http://www.ldrider.ca/importing/importing.htm

Here's the actual government of Canada import site: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Good luck....

Thanks! I've read the riv site quite well before, just wanted to hear a first hand experience. I always thought that you can just drive across the border but with a 72 hour wait period it seems impossible. Would love to fly to US, pick up the bike and drive it back, would be a nice road trip at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Track Day Winner

What type of bike are you looking to get? 600/750/1000?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k7 1000, k6 600, 06 M109

If you got the VIN and registered the bike (got your tags) couldnt you (in theory) take them with you when you ride it back. How would customs know that you didnt come across with it. You'll have to pay your taxes on it and get it inspected there still.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivans A8 View Post
Thanks! I've read the riv site quite well before, just wanted to hear a first hand experience. I always thought that you can just drive across the border but with a 72 hour wait period it seems impossible. Would love to fly to US, pick up the bike and drive it back, would be a nice road trip at least.
You just need to send the required paperwork to US customs. When the 72 hours is up you can fly to your new bike and ride it back. Don't forget temporary insurance. It is easy to do and you do save lots of $. I saw a brand new GSX-R 600 K6 for $6699! How about new '07 Hayabusas for $8500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode