speedo correction - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR600
speedo correction

the person I bought the bike from lowered the front sprocket by 2 teeth and my speedo is off... how can I fix it, without going back to a stock sprocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Schlong Swallower

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Re: speedo correction

Speedo healer...The speedometers of our bikes come about IIRC about 5% off anyway so going back to stock is pointless.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: L1 GSXR750, '09 SV650s(sold), '05 HD 1200c(sold)

speedohealer......http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
the best ones out there right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my baby face whoa did a pube just sprout?

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

I would say go with SpeedoDRD over speedohealer.
You can get it directly from Motomummy.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...d=18212&page=1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Deceptively Fast

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750L1 Blue M4 GP Slipon

If you accept GPS as the gold standard, the speedometer on my 2011 GSX-R750 L1 is inaccurate with stock gearing. When the GPS says 55 mph, the bike's speedometer says 59 mph. The bike senses the front sprocket rpm and calculates mph. If my bike's gearing was lowered with a smaller front sprocket or bigger rear sprocket, the speedometer would be even more inaccurate (for the same front sprocket rpm, the rear wheel would be spinning less, and the real speed would be lower).

One problem with smaller cogs (on some bikes) is that the lowered top run of the chain can wear the swingarm chain guard (the plastic piece between the top run of the chain and the swingarm, not the guard above the chain). I had a Triumph Speed 4 that would eat chain guards and the solution was bigger front and rear cogs (same final drive ratio).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Schlong Swallower

Motorcycle: k5 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven32 View Post
I would say go with SpeedoDRD over speedohealer.
You can get it directly from Motomummy.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...d=18212&page=1
I've never used either but It is always good to support a site sponsor and motomummy has free shipping, fast shipping, and very good prices so i say listen to steve.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my baby face whoa did a pube just sprout?

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfiem View Post
I've never used either but It is always good to support a site sponsor and motomummy has free shipping, fast shipping, and very good prices so i say listen to steve.

the SpeedoDRD is so easy to install and program it's ridiculous. I thought that it was gonna be a pain, but when I got it on i thought, really? that easy? wow. It works great too.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Squid

SpeedoDRD is sooooo easy, 20 minutes start to finish.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: DL1000 V-Strom

Before you think about the DRD versus the Healer, get the facts. "Does the same thing only cheaper" is NOT accurate in our opinion:
http://calsportbike.com/sh/speedohea...speedodrd.html

I have nothing against supporting someone if they're your "shop of choice", but then again, we've been around gixxer.com since 2002 and we still support the members...even if we're not as active here as some shops...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

I have a Speedohealer on mine and is very simple. The only prob I ever had with it is sometimes my speedo jumps all over the place bcuz of bad connection from the plug adapter to the box. I just haver to unplug it then put it back in, then all fixed.

Had any of you speedohealer people have this prob at times?

Other than that issue, I love it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

My 9 year old son installed my SpeedoDRD. I read the comparison website and I think it's greatly biased, but does have valid points. I just think all the negative things they say about the SpeedoDRD still don't justify the price difference.

I thought it was funny that one of the first things they say is about the long lead and keeping it away from water. Then go on to say "completely water proof". Ok.... so which part matters?

IMHO. The small size of the DRD makes it easier to install and conceal. There is no way water is going to get into this thing unless the bike is submerged. The little circuit board is extremely tough, so it doesn't need protection. Vibrations will travel through the hard case of the speedohealer, so that's a mute point. And for ease of programming? How often do you need to reprogram? Basicly, all the extra "features" offered don't add any real value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: DL1000 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1143 View Post
I have a Speedohealer on mine and is very simple. The only prob I ever had with it is sometimes my speedo jumps all over the place bcuz of bad connection from the plug adapter to the box. I just haver to unplug it then put it back in, then all fixed.

Had any of you speedohealer people have this prob at times?

Other than that issue, I love it.
If there is any bad connection, inspect the plugs for any bent pins and spray some WD-40 in the plugs. (This is basically true for any electronic device on the bike). If the problem persists, contact us for warranty replacement.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
World Supersport

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

My other half installed my SpeedoDRD which says a lot about it LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
My 9 year old son installed my SpeedoDRD.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR750 2006 CRF450

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven32 View Post

the SpeedoDRD is so easy to install and program it's ridiculous. I thought that it was gonna be a pain, but when I got it on i thought, really? that easy? wow. It works great too.
+1 on the speedoDRD
small, simple to install and program
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 05 gsxr 750 (track only)

+2 on the speedoDRD. I've had both. They both work, but I just like the simplicity of the DRD better (price too).
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Nittany Lion

Motorcycle: Track - 99 SRAD 600, Street - Blue/White K8 750

Cost and simplicity always wins. Speedo DRD.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
My 9 year old son installed my SpeedoDRD. I read the comparison website and I think it's greatly biased, but does have valid points. I just think all the negative things they say about the SpeedoDRD still don't justify the price difference.

I thought it was funny that one of the first things they say is about the long lead and keeping it away from water. Then go on to say "completely water proof". Ok.... so which part matters?

IMHO. The small size of the DRD makes it easier to install and conceal. There is no way water is going to get into this thing unless the bike is submerged. The little circuit board is extremely tough, so it doesn't need protection. Vibrations will travel through the hard case of the speedohealer, so that's a mute point. And for ease of programming? How often do you need to reprogram? Basicly, all the extra "features" offered don't add any real value.
This and the price is why I went with SpeedoDRD. Works great.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
World Supersport

For as little as it is, it works well..

Last edited by MotoMummy; 10-06-2011 at 12:39 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Insert Here

Motorcycle: K6 750

That test seems pretty bias. One thing that bothers me about the test is that you have the top speed recall button disconnected. This would leave a big gaping hole in the unit. That would be like taking off the protective plastic on the DRD. I would imagine that it wouldn't fair as well if that happened. Also does the DRD take off the top speed limiter on the bike? I ask because the speedo healer does.

Edit. The top speed elimination won't work for Suzuki's. You would still need a tre. It does work for Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda though.

Last edited by Squidworth; 10-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
World Supersport

A speedohealer doesn't eliminate the top speed limiter on the bike. That is done with a TRE (a mute point on a 600/750 as it can't reach the speed limiter anyway). A speedomoeter corrective device and a TRE are two very different things. Also the speedohealer claims it's 100% weatherproof. SpeedoDRD fully enclosed their unit as they realized it's the best way to protect it from water, not that it's needed in sportbikes, but they sell a ton of their units to dirtbike owners. Guys have fully submerged their bikes or damn close and to date there isn't one issue and this vid shows why. They did a pretty basic test really. Hard to be bias when both units, sold in their standard form, had the same thing done to them.

Last edited by MotoMummy; 10-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode