2011 GSX-R Good for Short People - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Deceptively Fast

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750L1 Blue M4 GP Slipon
2011 GSX-R Good for Short People

I just purchased a 2011 GSX-R750. The 600 version has an identical chassis. I am a 5' 10" 165 lbs dude with a 31" inseam. Most sport bikes are too tall for me, but I found the GSX-R to have many features that make it a good fit for average height or short people. I thought this might be of interest to female riders.

1. Low seat height. For years the GSX-R series has had low seat heights. I have found that you can't always trust published a seat height because it depends on many factors such as geometry, seat cushion firmness, seat width/bevel, and suspension setting. You have to go to a show room and try the fit. A low seat is especially helpful at stop lights and backing up into parking spaces. The 2011 GSX-R has a significantly lower seat height than other sport bikes, so that you feel like you are sitting in the bike, not perched on top of it. I can stand flat footed with both feet wearing thin soled shoes. Backing up is so very easy. The low seat has the added benefit of taking weight off the wrists. On a ZX-6R or R6 I feel like I am doing a constant push up. The GSX-R is less exhausting and allows finer control of the steering.

2. Fully adjustable suspension. The stock settings on my 750 seemed to be set up for a 200 lbs person; too firm on bumps. However, I was able to easily dial down the front and rear preload and damping to adjust for my lighter weight. The preload collar for the rear shock is the easiest to reach of any bike I have owned. With the proper toothed tool, I dialed it back 1 full turn. Because of the geometry, this minor adjustment lowered the seat height even more. To maintain the same steering geometry, I dialed back the fork preload on each side 1/4 turn. I dialed back the front and rear damping adjusters 1/4 turn. The bike feels much better, the seat is lower than stock, and the handling is superb.

3. Adjustable foot pegs. The foot pegs/foot controls can be relocated to any of three set positions.

4. Ample fore-aft movement. You can scoot forward or back depending on your torso length. The seat is flat on top so you are not locked in place. The reach to the bars is very reasonable.

5. The clutch and front brake levers are adjustable for those with short fingers. Both have low effort pulls. New Brembo brakes are easy to modulate.

6. A/B power modes. The power can be switched to a lower B mode on the fly. This is helpful if you are new to the bike, riding on poor roads, trying an unfamiliar curvy road, or must ride in the rain.

7. Saddle bag capable. The tail section and standard exhaust position allow the addition of saddle bags, unlike many sport bikes. I added Chase Harper Stealth saddle bags that add over 30 liters of cargo volume. I mention this because my wife cannot go anywhere without her purse, so I thought this might be another female bonus feature.

8. Smooth low end power. The extra displacement of the 750 makes it easy to maneuver in traffic and parking lots due to the nice off idle power. Instead of being barking mad all the time it can be quite docile when you need it to be. It is not picky in regard to gear selection at any speed, as the strong engine can cope.

9. Light weight. They eliminated 18 lbs from the bike this year which makes a significant difference at low speed and parking situations. The weight is very centralized, making it feel even lighter.

10. My wife likes the color scheme which matches Vanderkitten's female bicycle racing team. The 600 has white wheel rims which would be a pain to keep nice looking. Yet another reason to go for the 750 which only costs $400 more.

Last edited by WildRiceGSX-R750; 08-17-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: L1 600 racebike
Garage
Re: 2011 GSX-R Good for Short People

Are you a Suzuki salesperson?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 88 GSX-R 750

How is 5'10" short and most sportbikes are too tall for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
One of the Jersey Boys

Motorcycle: 06 GSX-R 750

Do you offer financing?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Deceptively Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2DAP1 View Post
Do you offer financing?
No, but the first half gallon of gasoline is on the house if you pay with cash.

As my first gixxer, I found it to have the lowest seat height of any sport bike I have owned or sat on at the shops. It is very handy when backing up in tricky parking spots. It is also easy to adjust even lower if you are shorter and lighter than me. The low seat height does not degrade the handling and I wish more sport bikes were as low.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
!##NULL##!

The lower you sit the better control you have because you are closer to the center of the bike. That is why racers like to sit 'in' their bikes not on it. It is just a matter of adjusting the position of the pegs which is easily done with a wrench (if you are tall).

This is the reason sport bikes have lowered their seats and other bikes have low seat options as well.
This is a great for TALL AND shorter riders.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 1000

seriously dude i am 5'4" and have a k8 gsxr 1000. i can touch the ground just fine
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipmasterGeise View Post
How is 5'10" short and most sportbikes are too tall for you?
hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2DAP1 View Post
Do you offer financing?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGSXR33 View Post
seriously dude i am 5'4" and have a k8 gsxr 1000. i can touch the ground just fine
I've ridden a k7 gsxr 1k and I could touch the ground, and im 5'7"

Personally, I had a 04 gsxr 600, and I could tippy toe that, and stated I am 5'7". After the redesign of the looks on the 06+ gsxrs started designing their bikes to be shorter in the in seam, as well, the tanks aren't as big as you see with the yamahas, which I cannot flat foot.

Right now, I have a k8 gsxr 600... I can flat foot which is nice for things like U turns or slow maneuvers if I feel like not using my rear brake.

Sorry I don't have any specific "specs" on the bikes I mentioned, if you'd like im sure I could go break out the manuals for them ... as well, everything you have mentioned isn't anything "wowing" from the other gsxr models... Last time I checked I had different "modes" to change, adjustable levers, etc. Congrats on your 2011 purchase

Ride Forever Giovanni... 11/11/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by devilchild; 07-11-2011 at 12:52 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Deceptively Fast

Most women have proportionally longer legs and shorter torsos compared to men, so it is not surprising that a shorter woman can flat foot the same bike. Many other sportbike brands have been jacking up the rear and lowering the front, which I find very uncomfortable on the street. The GSX-R bucks this trend, yet still handles very well. GSX-Rs have had low seat heights for several years now, and the 2011 series is not unique in regard to low seat height. My 2011 GSX-R750 makes more power than the original Yamaha R1 (considered too powerful for its own good at the time) and weighs less than the 2009 GSX-R600, so it actually does have a "Wow Factor" when on the throttle. Still very easy to ride in traffic due to the reasons stated earlier. I am in the midst of making a few changes so the end result will look something like this and weigh the same as the 2011 GSX-R600.

Last edited by WildRiceGSX-R750; 07-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Deceptively Fast

Here is some more information as to why the 2011 gixxers are good for short people. Suzuki tilted the engine up 3 degrees, shortening the frame and wheel base 15 mm (shrinking the bike). The tank was reshaped for better knee grip. The tank was shortened for better reach. The seat height remains low compared to other brands, but they narrowed the seat area for a shorter perceived seat height. The bar angles have been slightly changed for better ergos. The cowling has been shortened at both ends and shrunk for a more compact size and better aerodynamics. The bike has been lightened 18 lbs from the frame, swingarm, wheels, exhaust, headlight, bodywork, brakes, and suspension. That is 18 less pounds of mass to push around at speed or in the parking lot. It also means you can soften the suspension that much more for lower ride height and a smoother ride yet maintain good handling geometry. They basically shrunk the 600 down to 500 size (and in the case of the 750, wedged a 750 engine inside).

I may or may not have mentioned swapping out "dog bone" rear shock linkages to drastically shorten ride height. If I did, that is in error, as you cannot do that with the 2011. Suzuki simplified and lightened the rear suspension linkages and the paired "dog bones" have been eliminated for 2011.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktard View Post
I am 5'5" and I own a 2005 1000 and I love the way this bike fits me. I took a short break from sportsbikes, because I was approaching 50, and bought a 2007 HD fatboy and even it didn't suit my height like my GSXR, not to mention it was like driving a semi truck after riding sportsbikes and dirty bikes all my life. Needless to say, I sold it to the first guy I could find who was all excited about the Sons of Anarchy soap opera. The HD had a seating posture that forced me to either hunch over or sit rigidly straight up, neither which was good for my old back. It seemed like bumps and potholes would be transmitted straight up my spine, instead of absorbing the bumps with my shoulders and arms with sports bikes. I love my Gixxer and I really think they were made for shorter, jocky type midgets like us. I even have to put effort into wheelies because most of my weight is forward of center. Funny, I actually saw lowering links for our bikes on eBay! As if they need to be lower?

I know this is off topic, but I recently saw a old "70s era XL500 strapped to the back of a RV and immediately wished they still made the Honda XL's the way they did back then, with the smaller rear wheel, Seems like all the endure type bikes nowadays are way to high! I loved my XL....until a couple guys picked it up and threw it in the back of their pickup while I was at my girlfriend's.
@ricktard are you a female?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1997 gsxr600. Srad

I am 5.8ish on a good day and fit my 1997 600 srad fine i am able to fit a ktm 990 adv with a 34inch seat hight ie ball of both feet down or one foot flat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode