new to the street bike world. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Cool new to the street bike world.

I am new to riding bikes I have wanted to ride for years but im stuck on the back of my fiance gsxr not fun. I am 5'4'' my weight is 130. He was thinking about giving me his 2002 gsxr 600 but I have a serious problem of lifting it up and I tippy toe on the bike when its up. I know I can lower it but can we make it lighter so i can ride it or should he just sell it and buy me a zx-6r or a lighter 600 gsxr or is there a nother 600cc bike you think I would do great on or just stick to a 2011 250r ninja?

Here is his bike :
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...299636_n-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m..._6513974_n.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m..._1968975_n.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m..._5260703_n.jpg

Last edited by Gixxer_grl91; 06-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Track Day Winner

Re: new to the street bike world.

You may want to start with the 250, However, I'm not sure how much lower it will be.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

250 would be ok but im not the type of girl to stick to being slow. iv been told a 600 would be a great starter bike. i can life a 07 zx-6r wit out a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM
!##NULL##!

chk out the cbr250r. IT may be all you will want. The only time it will be slow is drag racing.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: In market

Whoever told you a 600 "R" bike would be a great starter bike is a moron. A 250 is a great starter bike, and being "slower" than a 600 is better than being dead. I'm not really sure why you're concerned with the weight of the bike, unless you plan on dropping it all the time? There's always debate when it comes to lowering a bike. Many will say you'll lose suspension (especially at high speeds), others will say the difference is negligible (depending on how much lower you want it). Honestly, I wouldn't lower the bike unless you absolutely need to, after other options have been considered. For example, you can lower/shave the seat. Also, when you're at a stop light if you can keep just one foot on the ground and still be upright you'll be fine. You don't NEED both feet on the ground for stop lights/signs.

~'93 GSX-R600 (Sold)
~Yamaha YZF 125 (Sold)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around

Motorcycle: 2012 Hayabusa (SOLD) - 2013 Harley Davidson Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer_grl91 View Post
I am new to riding bikes I have wanted to ride for years but im stuck on the back of my fiance gsxr not fun. I am 5'4'' my weight is 130. He was thinking about giving me his 2002 gsxr 600 but I have a serious problem of lifting it up and I tippy toe on the bike when its up. I know I can lower it but can we make it lighter so i can ride it or should he just sell it and buy me a zx-6r or a lighter 600 gsxr or is there a nother 600cc bike you think I would do great on or just stick to a 2011 250r ninja?

Read this thread: https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47265

There are some great posts about what are good starter bikes. A 600cc supersport isn't one of them.

Good luck!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Colonel H. Stinkmeaner

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer_grl91 View Post
250 would be ok but im not the type of girl to stick to being slow. iv been told a 600 would be a great starter bike. i can life a 07 zx-6r wit out a problem
Nuff said.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Amateur

Oh, and you can make the bike lighter by taking the engine out.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Squid

My girl friend crashed while riding her bro's 750. She loves riding but the crash freaked her out. So she bought a 250 to start off slow and regain her comfort. She's okay now but she is stuck with the 250 and HATES it. She won't go riding with us because she says it's just too slow to keep up with us. I started with a 600. I am 5'4 and about 120 lbs. I LOVE my 600 and glad I didn't start on anything slower.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM84 View Post
My girl friend crashed while riding her bro's 750. She loves riding but the crash freaked her out. So she bought a 250 to start off slow and regain her comfort. She's okay now but she is stuck with the 250 and HATES it. She won't go riding with us because she says it's just too slow to keep up with us. I started with a 600. I am 5'4 and about 120 lbs. I LOVE my 600 and glad I didn't start on anything slower.
Sigh.

So let me get this right..She's afraid to ride a 750 because she crashed, so she did the smart thing and bought a 250 to learn on and regain her comfort. She hates the 250 because it's too slow to keep up with you and your friends. You started with a 600 and haven't died yet, so you're telling the OP it's okay to start on a 600...Sounds like your girl friend is smarter than you.

1. Unless you're drag racing, a 250 can easily keep up with 600's. Therefore, this means either you and your friends are riding like idiots, or your girl friend is taking it slow (like she should be) to learn and you're being idiots and not waiting for her.
2. 250s can be just as fun as any other sport bike if you don't just cruise through city traffic like idiots, which is what I'm assuming you're doing when she rides with you. Try taking her through some twisties when she's more comfortable. Guarantee she will have fun on it, and she will probably learn faster than you since you started on a 600.
3. Stop implying it's okay for beginners to start on race replicas just because you did and aren't dead yet.

/Endrant

~'93 GSX-R600 (Sold)
~Yamaha YZF 125 (Sold)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Squid

Whoa. I wasn't implying anything. I was just stating that I started on a 600. We have invited her on numerous rides and she will not join us. She has never joined us. We don't ride like idiots and if she ever decides to ride with us, we will definitely go at her pace. She is just too afraid and she makes excuses about her 250 being slow. All we want is for her to ride again because she loves to ride. Sorry I phrased my reply incorrectly.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Amateur

And another thing....Unless you and your girl friend are only concerned with straight lines, YOU should be encouraging her to stick with the 250. Help her regain comfort and help make it fun for her to learn on instead of leaving her in the dust.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM84 View Post
Whoa. I wasn't implying anything. I was just stating that I started on a 600. We have invited her on numerous rides and she will not join us. She has never joined us. We don't ride like idiots and if she ever decides to ride with us, we will definitely go at her pace. She is just too afraid and she makes excuses about her 250 being slow. All we want is for her to ride again because she loves to ride. Sorry I phrased my reply incorrectly.
I guess I'm not really understanding then..Your post made it sound like you were using your girl friend as an example of why 250s are bad beginner bikes, yet you also contradicted that when you mentioned her crash..So, she's afraid to ride period, but you made it sound like she just didn't want to ride with you because she couldn't keep up.

I would imagine her fear is normal considering her crash..Has she taken MSF and ridden on a track at all?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Squid

I know. We are trying. She is so afraid to ride again and I can completely understand why. She will be ready when she is ready. But we are still encouraging her to ride. We don't want her to give up. Look, her bro is the only person that has been able to talk her into getting back on. And when she does, he says that she will freak at the slightest gust of wind and would pull over. I have asked her to ride with just me. No pressure from groups. Just the two of us taking the slow roads. She still refuses.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Squid

The keeping up part was from her own mouth. My bad. My first post didn't come off as I wanted it to. As for the track and MSF, I'm not quite sure.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Amateur

Yea your first post irked me, so I apologize for jumping down your throat about it if it wasn't intentional.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Squid

It's cool. My thoughts are a bit impaired at 1 am!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

Awwww. Group hug.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

--Wag--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode