Helpz preaze - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Insert Here

Motorcycle: K6 750
Helpz preaze

So I've been with this girl for awhile and she hates motorcycles. She's a nurse and says they're dangerous. Which don't get me wrong they are but she doesn't seem to understand that it's the rider not the machine. I understand that she's seen some people hurt from bikes, but I ride with some of her co-workers every now and then and she seems to be ok with that. I even got her a sweet pink (save the boobs edition) scoot scoot. I thought maybe she could learn on that then we would upgrade to a bike with gears and a clutch. Like a ninja 250 or something. She hasn't even rode it. She was excited when she saw it but that was about it. Almost two years and it only has 50 miles. All from me of course. Poor little scoot scoot. So how do I coax her into riding? Or at least try it....Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Squid

Re: Helpz preaze

If she doesn't wanna ride then she is not gonna,that's the bottom line,and if u force her to ride she'll just hate it that much more.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

You 2 aren't married right?

Dump her, move on. Start dating someone who thinks motorcycles are the shit. Don't make a mountain out of molehill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Insert Here

Motorcycle: K6 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post

Dump her, move on. Start dating someone who thinks motorcycles are the shit. Don't make a mountain out of molehill.
Lol. No not married. Maybe here soon.

Hates such a strong word. I shouldve said she has a healthy distaste for them. I'm not trying to force her. We don't fight about it and it was her idea to get the scoot scoot in the first place. I guess I was more looking for what got you interested in bikes in the first place? What got you ladies on two wheels in the first place?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 02 1000 02 600

leave her at home and go ridding
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A revamped K6 liter

Motorcycles are harmless. It's the rider that makes them dangerous.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidworth View Post
Lol. No not married. Maybe here soon.

Hates such a strong word. I shouldve said she has a healthy distaste for them. I'm not trying to force her. We don't fight about it and it was her idea to get the scoot scoot in the first place. I guess I was more looking for what got you interested in bikes in the first place? What got you ladies on two wheels in the first place?
My insatiable need for speed. The fact that to equal the acceleration of a (at the time) $6000 motorcycle you would need to buy a $150,000+ exotic. A friend mentioned that I should buy a bike, thought about it a few days and went for it.

A close friend of my moms calls me "organ donor" and yes, he is a doctor. Riding is dangerous, you are 30 times more likely to be killed in a motorcycle accident vs a car. Whether motorcycles are dangerous, the rider is dangerous or others who share the road are dangerous or a combination, the fact remains that riding is high risk. So, we try to minimize the risk through education, gear, riding defensively, keeping our heads on a swivel and trying to predict what others are going to do before they do it.

Bottom line is, whether she rides or not is up to her. I will give you this warning and I have seen it happen. If you marry her, she will likely have you sell the bike once the "I do's" are exchanged. Same friend who got me into riding was going to get married. She had said that yes, he could get a bike after they were married. I told him to have an agreement drawn up that they both signed and had notarized. Wouldn't you know it, a year later he had to pull out the agreement for her to give in to him buying a bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

+1 on everything Samantha said.

Motorcycles ARE dangerous and it's not just because of the rider. It is the bike, it is also the rider, it is also the environment (conditions), etc. Calling it what it is is of paramount importance.

--Wag--
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750

If she's not interested, she's not interested, leave it at that.

I didn't even think about riding until my husband said "let's go look at motorcycles", and being a "good" wife, I went along. When I sat on a very cute 125 they had, saw the $2500 price tag, I realized I could do this, it was cheap (HA!), and it would go a long way to spicing up my 110 mile RT commute. I bought a 250 Ninja instead ($3000 brand new). That was 6 years, 6 bikes, 60000 miles, and one broken back & ankle ago. Yes, if you're hit (I was stopped for an accident), riding is more dangerous than being in a car. So is walking or riding a bicycle. I can control my own actions, but I can't guarantee everyone else's. I wish I could get statistics on riders that are like me, but I can't; so I look at the statistics knowing at least half were unskilled, were wearing all black, or had been drinking.

An unexpected bonus has been the kick-ass fun my husband & I are having doing it together, riding through the twisties for Sunday breakfast, going to MotoGP races, going to trackdays, etc. (we're watching WSB as I type!).

It's a sport, not transportation. If you love it, it's worth it. If you don't, it's not.

It sounds like your relationship is serious. Hopefully she's open to you doing what you love. If not, you have a bigger issue than her taking up riding. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Luna C; 02-27-2011 at 04:27 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Spunk Gargling Knob Gobbling Squid

Motorcycle: 08 gsxr 1000 -- 03 Honda Ruckus -- 06 kawasaki Mule-- 05 CRF 100 pit bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
leave her at home and go ridding
+1. I go riding to get away for awhile. I don't want to deal with any drama when I'm out with the guys.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Mama Bear

Motorcycle: Officially Bikeless :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post

If you choose your significant other based solely on their like or dislike of your hobbies you're setting yourself up for relationship failure.

It's okay not be identical to your partner. You might find having your own hobbies are a nice break from always doing everything together. You don't need the other person to validate your desires by adopting them themselves.

If she is happy with you and is alright with you riding then things are okay.

If she wants to ride let her, but as others have said don't be too pushy or she will dig in her heels and really hate it.

As for what got me into bikes, I was always into fast cars, roller coasters, things in general that got the adrenaline going. I met some bikers one day, road pillion for awhile and then decided I wanted to ride for myself. The first time I ever got on the back of a bike I was scared, so I made myself get on again, fear turned to excitement. Literally I would go into withdrawals from not riding hehe, when I got my first bike I would wake up in the morning and the first thing on my mind was riding. I'd ride all damn day. And then I'd ride all night.

I will NEVER get over losing my 2004 750.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandevil; 02-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Willing Cum Bucket

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 750 Silver & Gray(Stolen), 2013 gsxr 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidworth View Post
So I've been with this girl for awhile and she hates motorcycles. She's a nurse and says they're dangerous. Which don't get me wrong they are but she doesn't seem to understand that it's the rider not the machine. I understand that she's seen some people hurt from bikes, but I ride with some of her co-workers every now and then and she seems to be ok with that. I even got her a sweet pink (save the boobs edition) scoot scoot. I thought maybe she could learn on that then we would upgrade to a bike with gears and a clutch. Like a ninja 250 or something. She hasn't even rode it. She was excited when she saw it but that was about it. Almost two years and it only has 50 miles. All from me of course. Poor little scoot scoot. So how do I coax her into riding? Or at least try it....Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
does she ride with you, on the back? my ex was against me having one and wanted me to get rid of mine but i asked her to come with me for 1 ride before i put it up for sale. so she did and next thing you know, im teaching her how to ride in a big open parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode