What fits? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: Soooooon.
What fits?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I had a question: I'm taking a motorcycle course soon and although I've ridden on the back of one many times I've never actually rode by myself. I'm 5'10" and 140lbs and I was wondering if the GSXR600's are too much for me to handle? I have no problems with the weight or touching the ground, but I'm told that its a huge risk to start on and (from my dad) I'll get myself killed. If its true, what bike should I be getting? I always thought the 125cc or 250cc would be too small for my size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa
Re: What fits?

Depending on your inseam, you're probably tall enough so no worries there.

The power of a 600 is pretty substantial. If you have maturity and self control, though, you can probably handle it. If you honestly believe you need some more time to develop more skill and coordination, seriously consider a GS500 or ES500. Find a good used one on fleabay or craigslist and ride it for a few months or a year and then move up to a gixxer 600.

Don't buy your bike until after the class and by all means, make sure you get the right gear.

And have fun!

--Wag--

"Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

I would recommend a 500 or even maybe a 650. I personally do not believe that any SS is a good beginners bike. Don't get me wrong, you can start on one but you will become a better rider quicker on a less aggressive bike. You have enough things to think about as a new rider without having to worry/be afraid of your bike. There are lots of other bikes aside from a 250 or an SS:

GS500, Ninja 500, GSX500, Ninja 650R, GSX650F,SV650 to name a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: Soooooon.

My dad somehow has this idea that a 125cc is plenty fast and just as big as a 600cc. I think I would rather just ride a bicycle. I guess it may be a little irresponsible to assume that a 45min bike ride on a 125cc is enough preparation for a 600cc. My parents are German and I guess over there they have different licences for different bikes. The idea is to work your way up. My problem is I don't want to spend $3000 on a 125cc or 250cc and after one season get bored of it and upgrade. I would rather pay a little extra to buy the bike I want now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Yes, the EU has a tiered licensing system and also, not one of the bikes I suggested is a 125 or 250 and there are a lot of bikes between the 250 and 600 street legal race bike. You have to determine if you want to just survive or become a good rider. Go buy whatever you want as you had your mind made up before you even posted but check on insurance before you buy as a new rider on an SS is not cheap. If all the experience riding you have is 45 minutes on a 125 then yes, a 600 is too much.

Last edited by Samantha750; 09-06-2010 at 12:55 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerang View Post
My dad somehow has this idea that a 125cc is plenty fast and just as big as a 600cc. I think I would rather just ride a bicycle. I guess it may be a little irresponsible to assume that a 45min bike ride on a 125cc is enough preparation for a 600cc. My parents are German and I guess over there they have different licences for different bikes. The idea is to work your way up. My problem is I don't want to spend $3000 on a 125cc or 250cc and after one season get bored of it and upgrade. I would rather pay a little extra to buy the bike I want now.
Generally speaking, if you go smaller and USED, you can generally get your money back when you sell the used bike in order to migrate up to the bigger badder bike.

Highly recommend you take this approach.

+1 on starting with a 500 or an SV650 at the VERY most.

--Wag--
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

I agree, shop a little, buy used, you will lose little to no money. At the same time you will have a better & SAFER learning to ride experience. Riding something that forces you to concentrate on not killing yourself is not the way to go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2005 gsxr 750 anniversary edition. #3489

i agree with every body on this post. i was tought in a parking lot by my GFs dad on his cbr600. I how ever bought a used ninja500 as my 1st street bike and only took his out on the actuall street a hand full of times. i logged alot of miles and mistakes on that little 500 and it took everything i could throw at it and didnt kill me. its a great begginer bike. After 6 months and getting to the point i could clutch wheelie it i upgraded to my gix 750. but i learned alot from that little 500 and i dont regret starting off on one that small at all.

*"If the good die young then im going to live forever"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*"Those afraid to die are afraid to live"*
k5 750 choped yoshi slip-on, BMC filter, lowered .75 frnt/1.5 rear, custom undertail, R6 tube, -1 front, TRE, flush mount turn signals, leds.
*soon to come PCV,Autotune, 1k header, more LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode