First Bike!! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Triumph TT600
First Bike!!

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 1993 red and white gsxr600W for $2000 obo. I am VERY excited about it because this was my dads first bike, (cept his was blue). The only thing is that 2nd gear has a hitch when accelerated over 7000 RPM, is this a big/costly problem? Also do you think this will be a good bike for my first bike?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1998 GSX-R 750 SRAD (SOLD)
Re: First Bike!!

Hey what's up?

Yea i think that the 93 gix 600 is a good bike as a first bike.
$2000 is also a good price if it's in good condition.
The only thing that you might want to think about is the weight of the bike.
It's a 600 but still quite heavy, i think it's about 200 K's dry weight.
It's cool your dad also had one.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 07 zx6r, 06 zx10r, 03 Busa, 99 & 97 zx7r

I'm assuming from your screen name you are a girl and since this would be your first bike as you stated, I would be more apt to suggest a 250 ninja or something. Light weight, easy to handle, not a ton of power to get you in trouble but enough to get you around well. Less likely to get in serious trouble with the bike just starting out. Plus it will cost around the same as what you are looking at and you can turn around and sell it for the same price usually. Hell, I've been comtemplating picking one up to go racing with! It's actually a fun bike to race at the track on. Corner speed is ridiculous! Makes the guys on the 600's and 1000's look slow in the corners... Regardless, good luck, ride safe, and manage that right hand....it makes you go and makes you woe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600

I rode a ninja 250 twice and to me it just wasn't enough for me and I've been on a 600 since...although I have heard that they are neat track bikes...Personally I decided to buy newer so that the bike will last me awhile with less problems...hopefully, but I wanted something that was going to keep me happy and I could grow into. I don't care to have anything more than my 06 gsxr 600 for quite awhile. Definitely consider what your going to be doing with the bike(commute, canyon, track) and how much its going to cost you in maintainance. I think a 600 is great starter bike...but ride conservatively until you know the bike and your ability to control it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for all the input! I have really been interested in the ninja 250s but my aunt kelly started out on a 600 and she's as small as I am. I also love gsxrs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
GDC's Martha Stewart

Motorcycle: 2008 Yamaha WR250x

^ Not to sound discouraging but just because someone can do something doesn't mean you can. First of all take the MSF course and see how you fare.

Then if you still want that bike you have to consider two things.... IMO $2000 for a 16-17 yr old bike is WAY too much, it's worth more like 800-1000. And second of all even though the old bikes have a lot less power, they are a lot heavier than the new 600's. So go check out the bike and see if you can push it around and if you feel comfortable on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shut up or I'll punch you in your ovaries
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the ovary punching extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESanders2

Will Goes Bowling, if you're out there, I know you've been looking for a fix to this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

See if you can talk them down on the price a little . Should be a good bike to start out on .

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Suzuki_GSX-R_600_1993.aspx

Not as crazy as the newer 600's. It shows 106hp that's at the crank so it's probably around 75-80hp at the rear tire . Have fun and take the MSF coarse .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
Then if you still want that bike you have to consider two things.... IMO $2000 for a 16-17 yr old bike is WAY too much, it's worth more like 800-1000. And second of all even though the old bikes have a lot less power, they are a lot heavier than the new 600's. So go check out the bike and see if you can push it around and if you feel comfortable on it.
I agree
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I have talked him down on the price, i'm not that naive lol. I've practiced on a 1983 yamaha maxim, and have started riding my bfs 2006 gsxr. I never said that just cause my aunt kelly could do it that I can, but I sure the hell can try. But yes absolutely I agree on going and looking at it, and sitting on it. lol but i'm gonna let my bf test ride it. I am worried about the weight since there is such a difference with the older ones, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Last edited by kawigirl259; 01-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000, YZF 450, TTR 110

I'd look more into the shifting problem you were talking about, if it's something wrong with the trans that could get expensive.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck View Post
I'd look more into the shifting problem you were talking about, if it's something wrong with the trans that could get expensive.
Yeah my dad said it was something wrong with the tranny.
But he doesn't think it will be too expensive, if so then yeah it's not worth it. Hopefully it's nothing too big.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: '95 750

2nd gear is a problem with these bikes. if you get it, just visit the water cooled section, many people there to help with it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Chubbs McPus, the Non-Gay Bashing Scene Kid

Motorcycle: a brand spanking used 06 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawigirl259 View Post
I have talked him down on the price, i'm not that naive lol. I've practiced on a 1983 yamaha maxim, and have started riding my bfs 2006 gsxr. I never said that just cause my aunt kelly could do it that I can, but I sure the hell can try. But yes absolutely I agree on going and looking at it, and sitting on it. lol but i'm gonna let my bf test ride it. I am worried about the weight since there is such a difference with the older ones, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
yeah.. ain't nobady arguing with you this is all good advice... so next time you wake me up saying people are being mean, be right.

a got all excited...

and second of all ITS AN DAMN 1982 maxim 650 get it right!!!

:* love ya babe
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Chubbs McPus, the Non-Gay Bashing Scene Kid

Motorcycle: a brand spanking used 06 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikk777 View Post
I'm assuming from your screen name you are a girl and since this would be your first bike as you stated, I would be more apt to suggest a 250 ninja or something. Light weight, easy to handle, not a ton of power to get you in trouble but enough to get you around well. Less likely to get in serious trouble with the bike just starting out. Plus it will cost around the same as what you are looking at and you can turn around and sell it for the same price usually. Hell, I've been comtemplating picking one up to go racing with! It's actually a fun bike to race at the track on. Corner speed is ridiculous! Makes the guys on the 600's and 1000's look slow in the corners... Regardless, good luck, ride safe, and manage that right hand....it makes you go and makes you woe!
she doesn't go to race tracks and we will be riding highways alot for commuting to school so this CC bike is going to be fine for AFTER an MSF course and another month of practice on the maxim cause i'm not repairing plastics because "it just fell over at the stop light"

btw tread lightly around here whilst throwing the word girl/woman around the mods lika the ban button from what i hear.. unless you yourself are a woman then do all the hell you want. ME personally i'm just herer cause i was told to check out kawis' thread by kawigirl herself i'm so whipped...

"I'd rather flirt with death than settle with life" -anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode