How to put on a slip on? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R 600
How to put on a slip on?

My husband just bought a new two brothers m5 carbon canister for me... now we are hearing all types of different things...

I have a GSX-R 600 and people are saying that, YOSHIMIRA is for suzuki's and TB is for Hondas...
I will have to have the bike REMAPPED in order to put the slip on correctly on the bike...
My bike is too small for a m5
It is not going to work if he just unscrews the stock bolts and slips this new one on and tries to ride... it won't perform
Cut your stock pipe and put a K9(?) filter on it so it can breathe better

Somebody please tell me what the deal really is? Are they a bunch of haters? Do I need to have the bike remapped just for a slip on? Will I really not get any more horsepower or more performance if this is done? Are we making a mistake?

I really appreciate all the answers and responses... thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: The one "you" hacked at GDC!!
Re: How to put on a slip on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikit96 View Post
My husband just bought a new two brothers m5 carbon canister for me... now we are hearing all types of different things...

I have a GSX-R 600 and people are saying that, YOSHIMIRA is for suzuki's and TB is for Hondas...
I will have to have the bike REMAPPED in order to put the slip on correctly on the bike...
It is not going to work if he just unscrews the stock bolts and slips this new one on and tries to ride... it won't perform

Somebody please tell me what the deal really is? Are they a bunch of haters? Do I need to have the bike remapped just for a slip on? Will I really not get any more horsepower or more performance if this is done? Are we making a mistake?

Of course its always good to get it remapped for every thing you change power wise. But i didnt do it on mines and still runs the same as before.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

You have numerous answers to this question including mine in the general section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000, YZF 450, TTR 110

I'm no expert, but here goes.

For just a slip on you can ride it no problem without remaping.
You won't gain any power but it will look better, sound better, and be lighter.
As far as remapping you can always do that later, even an all stock bike should be remapped if you WANT optimum performance, from the factory they are limited be emissions regulations, so they have to leave some power on the table to pass. A dyno tune will give a bit more power stock or slip on.

Last edited by 71Dragtruck; 12-08-2009 at 11:22 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity

Motorcycle: 10 BMW S1000RR, 09 gix6

remapping is not necessary for a slip on. you will notice a small difference in the power band, but as mentioned above, it's mostly about weight, look and sound.

i will say, my two brothers on my 600 (i hate the can, it's too loud for my taste) makes the bike very groggy at the lower end. then the power band kicks in. i'm prolly going to take mine off and throw on a yosh with a tune.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R1000, . OHLINS_MASTER_DEALER

Quote:

As most members will tell you, it's all opinion.

The Days of Yoshimura is only for Suzuki, and TB is only for Honda.... are LONG GONE.

ALL Exhaust manufacturers have much more developement and R&D to where they work great on nearly all brands.
Yes, some work better then others on certain brands.
But, overall they are very similar.

As the members above stated, you don't have to remap.
Install the slip-on and go out and ride.

If after riding for a while, you feel like the bike has some hesitation, hickups, or not as smooth as you would like. THEN......... get a Power Commander or BAZZAZ Z-Fi, to remap, and clean up the Fuel Mapping.

But, before you spend the money to do that. Try it with just the slip-on.
You may find it's not even neccessary.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thank you... all your advice has been very good! I hope someone will clarify for me: What do you mean groggy on the low end?
I'm thinking it means at low speeds its very slow and sluggish?
Can that really happen from changing the muffler?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R1000, . OHLINS_MASTER_DEALER

Quote:
Thank you... all your advice has been very good! I hope someone will clarify for me: What do you mean groggy on the low end?
I'm thinking it means at low speeds its very slow and sluggish?
Can that really happen from changing the muffler?

Indeed, that's what it means.

It can happen. Not all the time. Bikes react differnt to different mods.
A lot of it depends on what mod. and all the conditions where you live and ride.. Temps, Barometric pressure, altitude, Humidity....etc.

That all comes into play.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

UPDATE!!!!!: How to put on a slip on?

UPDATE!!!!!!

I came home from work and the hubby had it on and ready for me to ride... I live in MD, it's freezing here and it gets dark @ 4:30... I took it out for a test spin and I DIDN'T WANT TO COME BACK HOME!!!!

It sounds GREAT!!!! Looks AWESOME and I am VERY HAPPY with it!!!! Thanks everybody for your input!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: k8 GSX-R1000, k6 GSX-R 600:sold

one quick thing they didnt mention. is the basic maps. i bought a slip on for my k6 600, it ran great with no remap. then about 2 months later baught a power commander. then you can plug it into your computer and download a basic map.

for me i bought a jardine gp1 slip on, i also have a k&n filter and iridium plugs. they had a basic tune for that set up. downloaded it for free.

i personally noticed a little better throttle response as well as smoother power, and low end like cruising around town is much more comfortable. little late on the topic but thought it might be usefull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode