Leather's for my wife, advise please - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Leather's for my wife, advise please

My first post here, so i'll get right to the point

Recently got back into riding on a 02 750

My wife want's to start riding with me, she rides dirt bike pretty well and I hope someday to get her into the street bike scene on her own bike is she's up for it. I wont let her ride with me untill I get her the right protective gear. I couldnt bare the thought of going down and her getting hurt. No Jean's are going to protect as good as a good quality leather.

Been looking at the Icon Hella and the Bombshell mainly because she like's the styling, me on the other hand would like to get her the Alpine Stella Tyla, because they look like proper riding gear and they zip together, giving even more protection.

question is, who out there have used the Icon Leather wear, does it provide a good amount of protection, i.e. who here has takin a spill with this gear and how did it hold up. they dont join together is that a major problem?

I know Astar has a good reputation for being quality gear, is the Tyla a decent setup, or would you go with another brand or type?

What are my options, there really dosnt seem to be much out there for woman.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Re: Leather's for my wife, advise please

I undeleted this for you. You are fine asking the ladies, for advice on ladies topics . We just dont want guys trying to use this place like match.com or anything basically, or putting in their chauvinistic views on what the females do or say

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Captain M

I haven't had any experience with ICON...wrecked in a loaned Joe Rocket 2 piece suit that held up fine, but I didn't slide or tumble, so it really wasn't tested out much.

I LOVE my Alpinestar's Julie style suit (it's a one piece). I decided to go one piece for multiple reasons, one due to track riding & once you move up to the higher levels you have to have one piece, but the other being that when I wrecked in the 2 piece, the zipper cut into my skin on my hip & created a little scar! I didn't need stiches, it didn't bleed badly, but it scarred me! I'm still pissed about that. No more 2 pieces ever for me. The suit fits great, & is very comfortable, & broke in easily. Haven't crash tested it, yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

right on, thanks for the post. we were talking and the only down side to the one piece suit is when we, say stop for a rest/lunch or what ever she will be stuck wearing the one piece down around her but. where the 2 pc. at least she can ditch the jacket and not look too odd.
how ever she is warming up to getting on her own bike instead of on the back of mine, which is idealy what im after. I hate passengers...takes the fun out for long rides.

I will make the suggestion/push for the 1piece for greater protection.

Thanks Moto Joe for keeping the thread...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R600, '01 CBR929

Alpinestars makes good stuff for women, so does Vanson. For the street, I'd get a 2-piece, much more versatile for lunch stops, etc. If you get pants and jacket that attach with a full-circumference zipper (not that little one just across the back), I'd argue that the protection is nearly on par with a 1 piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode