Gear suggestions and starter bike for my petite gal - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000
Gear suggestions and starter bike for my petite gal

This is a serious question, and this seemed like the right place to ask. My gal and I have been together for about 2 years now and she LOVES going on the back. So much so that she gets kinda annoyed when I want to ride on my own. (And.. taking a passenger isn't all that fun). Anyways, she's been excited about getting a beater to learn on and full gear.

But the problem is, she's 5 1, and thin... so I guess "petite" ? I sat her own the rebel.. and she can flat foot that thing just about. We're planning to try out a Ninja 250 this weekend at our local dealers (just to see if she can reach the ground.. not to buy a new bike of course to learn on)

Anyways
- Any other starter bike suggestions that might be more ideal for her?
- Any short people in here? Have you had problems getting leathers? One of these coming weeks we plan to go to cycle gear to try on what they got.. but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Re: Gear suggestions and starter bike for my petite gal

Check out a Buell XB9, and a Ducati Monster750. Two that I have had suggested for my wife, who is 5'2". I know the buell would fit her, and the Ninja does too. the ducati is heresay though. One thing to think about with the 250. It is an AWESOME learner bike, but it can be a bit top heavy too.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Thanks Moto_Joe. For gear, I think I should do some research first at cycle gear, probably this weekend. The bike suggestions are most helpful. Its good to have a number of options that fit, so that I can then go get the cheapest beater off CL when it pops up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

I might have a jacket, and pants that will fit her, that Dilly does not use anymore. Both of which are nearly new...... Dilly is 5'2" 110ish lbs. Possibly even some size ove the ankle street boots too

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Cool! How much are you askin? The height and weight seems about right for my gf... do you know what sizes they are? I could go with her to the store to see if those sizes will fit.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Track Day Winner

Something to think about!!! When you go shoping have her sit on as many bikes as possible. While she is on the bike, hold it upright and have her put her feet on the pegs like she would be riding it. This way she can get figure out what bikes have a more comfortable riding position because every bike is different. Even the same models but in different years can have varying riding positions. Once you have found one that is in your price range and she feels comfortable on it and likes it, there are many different lowering kits available for the models but keep in mind this will change the way the bike handles in corners mainly. Good luck hunting!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannix View Post
Anyways
- Any other starter bike suggestions that might be more ideal for her?
- Any short people in here? Have you had problems getting leathers? One of these coming weeks we plan to go to cycle gear to try on what they got.. but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
James
James, I'm small too and started on a Ninja 250 to a GS500F to a 650SVS to the 600 GSX-R. I've never lowered a bike - just had the seats shaved a bit and used boots with a thick sole (or try Daytona Lady Star boots with height insert-webbikeworld.com has a good review). If she wants a sportbike, an older Ninja 250 should be do-able. Just tell her not to worry when she drops it at a stop or low speed. It's just part of learning on any bike.

My biggest problem has been getting leather pants that fit & are comfortable. I have a closet full of bad ones. Have your gf be sure she can easily squat, pull up her legs, and that the crotch doesn't droop (which makes legs shorter). Lots of stretch panels in the lower back, legs, and crotch are best. She might want to look at a good pair of armored textile pants as an option. Not as protective, but more forgiving in size, etc. Jackets are much easier.

After 5 years, I've found I have to at least have the balls of both feet on the ground. Anything else just takes the fun out of it. It allows for the occasional low spot, sloped surface, gravel road, etc. most the time.

I find there's more gear choices at BMW and higher end motorcycle shops too. On the internet, newenough.com can't be beat for service, prices, and return policies.

Good luck and have fun!!! My husband & I LOVE riding together!

Last edited by Luna C; 09-04-2009 at 12:55 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 01 gsxr 1000

The Ninja 250 sounds like the one to me. I have sat on one and they are low as hell. They also have alot of performance parts for it when she gets more comfortable with the bike!The green one is bad ass and Cheep too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Ill have to get the sizes of the stuff when I get home dude, I almost forgot about this post.

I work on the road though, and Dilly is away from the house todaytoo

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750

Hey there...thought I could help, since I am a shortie at 5'3". Currently, I have fallen in love with the Scorpion brand for gear. Got the NipTuck jacket, since the armor fit in the right place and I could bring it in on the sides for a good fit...the Nikki (which is kinda the leather version) has a very similar fit. Also got there textile riding pants, good fit...seemed a bit long, but when you put your feet up on the pegs the armor hits the knees in the right place. I use Dr. s boots, to give me the extra inch on the bike. Be sure to look into ratings for helmets and have her try on every one of them in the store if she has too. An uncomfortable helmet, that doesn't fit right sux.

The bike I started on was Ninja 650 (nice narrow seat w/ an upright riding position) and I had it lowered an inch by using a lowering bracket made my AIP Racing. The 250 never crossed my mind, since I didn't want to get bored with the bike.

The only other thing I would say with a newbie...have her take the MSF safety course...PLEASE!!!!! Honestly, the fact that I am gear natzi and I took this course saved my life on the road when I lowsided my Ninja on a curve because of gravel (a loose gravel sign would have been nice to see before I entered the curve).

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. :-)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Its ALWAYS gravel, or sand .

Does anyone just crash anymore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode