Any other riders 5'2"? I need to lower my bike. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Any other riders 5'2"? I need to lower my bike.

I will need to lower my bike. I am trying to figure out if I should lower two or three inches. I sat on a 1000 today that was lowered 3inches in front, 2 inches in the front. Without shoes on ( because i wore heels to the dealer ) my feet were flat on the ground. Anyone else here 5 2"? How much did you lower your bike? Trying to order the links and am a little uncertain of which to order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R 600
Re: Any other riders 5'2"? I need to lower my bike.

good thread... i'm 5'5" and still interested in lowering it...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

gixxervixxen is 5'2" and her bikes are not lowered. It is preferable that you do not lower it if you can avoid it at any cost.... if you plan on riding at any aggressive pace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
gixxervixxen is 5'2" and her bikes are not lowered. It is preferable that you do not lower it if you can avoid it at any cost.... if you plan on riding at any aggressive pace.
Then again GV is also a bad ass!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

If she can do it, anyone can though. She had to learn at some point, and she has never had a lowered bike.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 1000 Black/Matte Black

my wife's 5'1" and rides a GSXR 600. She's got hers lowered two inches and can put her foot down flat with boots on.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750, 2007 Honda CRF150R Supermoto

Guys... your height makes no difference here, it's your INSEAM that matters! You could be 5'2 and all legs and you could be 5'8 and have short little stubby ones.

I'm 5' even with a 28" inseam. I have a friend who's much taller and he has the same inseam as I do. Your body mass will also make a difference as it will be easier for a short legged well muscled person to hold the bike up then it is for some one with no muscles or strength.

My 07 750 is lowered 1" right now and I'm very happy with my set up, but that's a track bike only. I'm on the tip of my tippy toes and that works in the pits, but I wouldn't want to ride like that on the street.

Bottom line, you need to do what works for you, not some one else. Sit on the bike, sit on a lowered bike, see how you feel. YOU need to feel comfortable and confident..

Also, lowering the bike will not hurt the handling as much as some people think, but ONLY if it is done by a pro and the entire suspension setup is adjusted accordingly. You can't just slam the bike by any amount, leave the factory suspension settings, and expect the thing to handle right. You need some one knowledgeable to also adjust your, preload etc and possibly change out the stock springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlackieZ; 08-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackieZ View Post

Also, lowering the bike will not hurt the handling as much as some people think, but ONLY if it is done by a pro and the entire suspension setup is adjusted accordingly. You can't just slam the bike by any amount, leave the factory suspension settings, and expect the thing to handle right. You need some one knowledgeable to also adjust your, preload etc and possibly change out the stock springs.
Yes, It will. The question is are you fast enough for it to matter.

Damping and spring rates are just the start of it. Swingarm angle is hurt if you lower the rear. If you only lower the front and not the rear, rake and trail are hurt.

We change geometry by MILLIMETERS to get the geometry we want on track. Both front and rear. Changing it by INCHES absolutely will DRASTICALLY change the bikes handling "potential" But if you are not fast enough to get to that potential, then it is a moot point

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Lets go racing!

Quote:
Yes, It will. The question is are you fast enough for it to matter.

Damping and spring rates are just the start of it. Swingarm angle is hurt if you lower the rear. If you only lower the front and not the rear, rake and trail are hurt.

We change geometry by MILLIMETERS to get the geometry we want on track. Both front and rear. Changing it by INCHES absolutely will DRASTICALLY change the bikes handling "potential" But if you are not fast enough to get to that potential, then it is a moot point

yup, what moto_joe said. +100
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity

Motorcycle: 10 BMW S1000RR, 09 gix6

do a search. not trying to be a cunt, but there are a MILLION threads on this. don't lower your bike if you can avoid it. options have been discussed.

shave the seat, buy healed riding boots or boots with thicker soles. i could repeat ver betum what joe said, but it would be redundant. he hit the nail on the head.

if my short ass can make it on a 94 cbr f2, a 97 gsxr 600 (srads are WIDE mother fuckers), an 01, 2 03's an 05 1k and now an 07 600 track bitch, you can make it.

it's about taking other steps and learning how to work around it. shifting weight. learning how to put one leg down,on top of the other options.

lowering the bike will fuck with how it handles. dont' teach yourself the wrong way. learn the proper way w/o lowering it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
do a search. not trying to be a cunt, but there are a MILLION threads on this. don't lower your bike if you can avoid it. options have been discussed.

shave the seat, buy healed riding boots or boots with thicker soles. i could repeat ver betum what joe said, but it would be redundant. he hit the nail on the head.

if my short ass can make it on a 94 cbr f2, a 97 gsxr 600 (srads are WIDE mother fuckers), an 01, 2 03's an 05 1k and now an 07 600 track bitch, you can make it.

it's about taking other steps and learning how to work around it. shifting weight. learning how to put one leg down,on top of the other options.

lowering the bike will fuck with how it handles. dont' teach yourself the wrong way. learn the proper way w/o lowering it.
One thing to add: As for "tippy-toeing around", backing, etc. - GET OFF THE BIKE WHEN YOU NEED TO BACK IT OR SIMILAR!!! It's not that hard
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR 600

I'm 5'2" and ride 05 gsxr 600. Lowerd maybe an inch if that. I tried not to lower it too much. Have you hopped on an 06 or 07 gsxr? they are lower and the seat is a lot narrower. I can sit on that with stock hieght and still one foot on the ground.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr 600, 2006 sv650s full fairing, 1998 Honda cbr900rr

"But if you are not fast enough to get to that potential, then it is a moot point"

What is considered "fast enough". Just out of curiosity. I have a short inseam and lower all my bikes down to a comfortable level for commuting. Nice to have both feet touch in stop n go tRaffic. And I haven't noticed a great deal difference commuting even in twisties but , then I'm not nailing corners hard. So should how someone rides be taken into account ? I'm only riding going on a year so I'm a NOOB, am I starting a bad habit by lowering my bikes?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: lost at this time

Quote:
I got to agree with MotoJoe on this. I have ridden a bike that has been lowered. Talk about a bike that is harder to steer and this was just around town. You could also feel how stiff the rear was. The videos that were posted earlier in the another section really helped explain how changes in suspension can effect ride quality.

Idunn, you also posted the same comment in the 08 600/750 section. I would hope that you and others that are really interested in lowering your bike try the shaving the seat or getting taller riding boots when riding. I did post a link in there where I have shaved my seat with pics. Good luck
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Lets go racing!

if your bike is primarily for the street, just go ahead and lower it for street comfort, most casual/street riding will probably not utilize the full potential of the suspension anyway, so it won't make that much of a difference
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: k6 600 & 20th Anniversary 600

I agree with not lowering the bike if you can help it. I'm 5'4" but I have pretty short, stubby legs and I ride a k6 600. When I first started riding I thought I'd have to lower my bike because I was so nervous knowing I'd have to balance the bike on my toes at every stop. I practiced, and now I'm comfortable balancing the bike on my left foot only. I'm on the ball of my left foot w/ boots, flat foot with sneakers. My riding boots don't allow my ankle to flex as much as my sneakers and that makes it harder to reach the ground. I can barely touch both toes if I keep the bike straight upright, so I prefer leaning slightly to the left and keeping my right foot on the brake. I think shorter riders give up too easy and lower their bikes without giving themselves a chance to learn how to stop on one foot. I have to get off my bike to back it up on any pavement that isn't level or downhill. Yes, a bit of a pain, but I still prefer doing that over lowering my bike. Give it a few months, and if you still feel uncomfortable go ahead and lower it, but give yourself a chance first.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: (sold)04 honda 600rr,06 kawasaki zzr, 01 gsxr 600, 01 yamaha r6, currently 04 gsxr 600

yeh i balance my the bike with one leg, but it would be really hard if i had to ride someone hah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode