First Bike Suggestions? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: none yet :-(
First Bike Suggestions?

I'm a 22 yo female and am starting to look for a good starter bike. My bf has a GSX-R 750 and I have sat on it and done minimal "rocking" exercises on it and it pretty much sold me. Scared me, but sold me. I would really like to get a 600, but the bf says it's too much for me for a starter bike. What do you girls think? And what did you all start with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR1000 K8
Re: First Bike Suggestions?

Get a ninja 250

They are fast enough for a starter bike and you will become a better rider for when its time to step up to a gix.

Welcome to the site BTW
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
goes down on seamen...

Motorcycle: K3 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smit View Post
Get a ninja 250

They are fast enough for a starter bike and you will become a better rider for when its time to step up to a gix.

Welcome to the site BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Get a ninja 250

Welcome to the site BTW
Thanks

I'm not crazy about the look of the ninjas... I thought about maybe a Suzuki GZ250, but the bf said it may be pointless to start on a cruiser then step up AND to a sportbike. What do you think?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR1000 K8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_redhead View Post
Thanks

I'm not crazy about the look of the ninjas... I thought about maybe a Suzuki GZ250, but the bf said it may be pointless to start on a cruiser then step up AND to a sportbike. What do you think?
Your BF is half right (if that's possible). Riding a cruiser v sportsbike is very different. ie: Riding position, cornering, acceleration etc and when going from one to another can take a little while to get used to.

That said, you going to feel a little wierd on any bike, a ninja will give you thats sportbike look and an engine fast enough to give you a thrill yet it is controlable. The same can be said about a "Cruiser" but they have a much more comfortable riding position and are a great way to learn the fundamentals of riding. In other words you can concentrate on whats going on around you instead of how you body is positioned on the bike etc etc.

It really is up to personal choice, what feels more comfortable for you. Personally I think you will be happy with whatever you get and besides it won't be long before your comfortable enough with your ability that you'll be on a gix before you know it.

Did I mention the resale value on ninja's is good as people don't tend to keep them long and they are always in high demand.

I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, and then it hit me.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

01' Suzuki DRZ400E (For sale soon..)
08' Suzuki GSXR1000
(This space to be filled)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 06 750

Get one of the newer ninja 250's

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 00 TLR

The 250 ninja is perfect if you want to get into sport bikes. It's a forgiving platform, and if you drop it, no huge loss. The 08 is a good looking model.
Oh and buy a used one, save your money, ride it for at least a year, take the MSF, then find an ART course if you can find one local.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/1238692407.html

Oh and ANYONE that tells you that a 250 is "too small" has no idea what they're talking about. There's a wealth of information here from all sorts of riders, and people who race. Don't buy into the hype about what a good starter bike is. Don't fool yourself, the 250 can hit 100mph and can kill you, just imagine what a larger bike with minimal experience can do to you.

Oh and make sure you get GOOD gear.

www.newenough.com
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750, 2007 Honda CRF150R Supermoto

Another nod for a Ninja 250. Great starter bike! Keep in mind that this is only your first bike, so it's not like you'll be forced to live with it for ever. Most people keep their first bike for a year or two and then move on to something bigger or just more expensive.

Since 250s are such great starter bikes, they are always in demand and they keep their value rather well. The newer generation look more sporty, but unless you find a well priced used one, I wouldn't really recommend buying a brand new bike as your first. You will loose money, money you could spend on upgrading to a better bike later on, or more importantly money you could spend now on better gear for yourself (which you will hopefully keep for a few years).

If any thing goes wrong with your 250, finding spares and parts will be a breeze and cheap. Being a more manageable bike you will also learn faster and become more confident then if you were to start on a bigger bike. Feeling comfortable on a bike will mean you will enjoy yourself a lot more. You may also find, even if you think now the 250 looks a little dorky, that you won't care once you're on the bike and riding with a big grin on your face

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
I’m a SEX addict and proud of it!

Motorcycle: '08 gixxer 1K - sold; I have no bike :o(

I agree a ninja 250... I actually started on an SV650
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Thanks

have you seen the new ninja 250s? They are actually very nice looking bikes! Whatever your decision may be....gear up and ride safe!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 02 f4i

Quote:
Get a ninja 250

Welcome to the site BTW
This x11ty billion. I started on a ninja 250 and honestly, I should've stayed on a bit longer than I did. Especially the newer 08+ Ninjas look *really* good imo.

And anybody who says a 250 is too small needs to get their head out of their ass. They *race* 250s in MotoGP, go look at what they can do with those bikes.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 PM
...just like sex with Shane

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track) 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
This x11ty billion. I started on a ninja 250 and honestly, I should've stayed on a bit longer than I did. Especially the newer 08+ Ninjas look *really* good imo.

And anybody who says a 250 is too small needs to get their head out of their ass. They *race* 250s in MotoGP, go look at what they can do with those bikes.
+10000000000000000000000000

Ninja 250. 'Nuff said. It will make you appreciate the sport that much better!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R600, '01 CBR929

'nother vote for the Ninja 250. Another possibility would be a Ninja 500 or the Suzuki GS500. I agree with your bf...modern 600s don't make good beginner bikes.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k7 600

Don't get a 600 if you never rode a 2 wheeled vehicle before... get a lil scooter and practice riding on that...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganari View Post
Don't get a 600 if you never rode a 2 wheeled vehicle before... get a lil scooter and practice riding on that...
I am going to practice on my dad's dirt bikes before I get anything. It'll probably be next summer before I actually get a bike, but I wanted to start researching now...

Thanks everyone for all your input!!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & 06 Monster S2R

Quote:
I am going to practice on my dad's dirt bikes before I get anything. It'll probably be next summer before I actually get a bike, but I wanted to start researching now...

Thanks everyone for all your input!!
I hope he's got something reasonable for you to play with there like a pit bike or smaller 4-stroke trail bike.

Motocross style dirt bikes are some evil, unforgiving beasts.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Stabby Steve Longshanks

Motorcycle: Y2K GSXR 750 & 92 RM125 "The Bee"

The 09 Ninja 250 is a damn good looking sport bike to start on if you ask me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09_Ninja250R_lrg.jpg (57.3 KB, 110 views)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Duke View Post
I hope he's got something reasonable for you to play with there like a pit bike or smaller 4-stroke trail bike.

Motocross style dirt bikes are some evil, unforgiving beasts.
If I remember right, he's got a Kawasaki 125 and & a KTM 250. And plenty of open fields to practice in!!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Rump Ryder PermaSquid

Motorcycle: 09 Gixxer 750, 05 Heritage softail Harley Davidson (STOLEN), 96 Banshee

250 great bike. My daughter is turning 16 and has been saving her money so she can get a bike. She wanted a 600, but I told her to learn how to ride and then move up. So a 250 is were it is.. Have fun wear your gear and ride safe.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 k1

get a GS500 or somthing like a gpz500 my misses is 20 and rides a gs500 perfect light and easy to look after
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode