Drag strap - Front fork lowering straps - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes
  • 1 Post By BrocksPerf
  • 1 Post By jjman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000
Drag strap - Front fork lowering straps

Hey people,

i bought a drag racing strap for my GSXR 1000. The type that pulls down the front forks to lower the front end for drag racing. i.e. https://brocksperformance.com/front-end-lowering-strap/

Has anybody used these before and have any advice etc?
i.e. how far to lower it.
how to best use it
how to avoid getting a tank slapper with it because the bike is angled down over the front as the rear is at stock height...

cheers
J

Last edited by jjman; 03-01-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Track Day Winner

Hey J, I pull mine down tight enough to remove all the travel out the front. If you haven't lowered the rear yet then you should consider doing so to level out the setup. Regarding high speed wobble just make sure your damper is working properly and adjusted to the firm side of the settings. The rear shock setup is critical for best 60 foot times.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Re: Drag strap - Front fork lowering straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickh2 View Post
Hey J, I pull mine down tight enough to remove all the travel out the front. If you haven't lowered the rear yet then you should consider doing so to level out the setup. Regarding high speed wobble just make sure your damper is working properly and adjusted to the firm side of the settings. The rear shock setup is critical for best 60 foot times.
Thanks for that mate.

alas wont be lowering the rear end as its primarily a street/track bike. Just trying to get into the 9's and be content with that with the drag racing side of things...
Still strap it down fully?
Happy to adjust the rear shock though. Any advice on that front?

Otherwise its the stock 09-11 model GSXR 1000 electronically steering damper. No adjustment in those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Track Day Winner

Yes, when at the track take the travel out of the front to help the weight transfer without the slamming effect when front fully extends. Rear suspension setup to allow bike to squat at the hit and then rebound properly for top end run. There's a good article written by Brock Davidson on suspension setup basics.
Do a search for "SUSPENSION 101: Drag Racing (courtesy of BDE)" ..
Good luck on getting your 9!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

first time out using the tie down strap.
feels alot more planted and less prone to wheelie. Easy consistent 10.2s and a PB of 10.1 (with poor shifting down the run).
im sure a 10.0 or 9 is in it on the next outing.

I tell you what though, when it does wheelie it comes down HARD! smashed my spuds to bits...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjman View Post
first time out using the tie down strap.
feels alot more planted and less prone to wheelie. Easy consistent 10.2s and a PB of 10.1 (with poor shifting down the run).
im sure a 10.0 or 9 is in it on the next outing.

I tell you what though, when it does wheelie it comes down HARD! smashed my spuds to bits...
If you wheelie to the point that you are 'crash landing' and hurting yourself - you are trying too hard. Smooth riding and proper set-up (chassis/gearing etc.) are the keys.

Leave the line about 6K, and get the throttle open as quickly as you can. I teach our riders to lock their wrist and modulate the throttle with their elbow/forearm. The key to quick ET's is to get the gas 100% locked before the 1-2 shift.

Here a video for motivation (pay close attention to the sound of the engine):

Watch his throttle control - at first, he couldn't get his arm all the way down to WOT until after the 60ft - eventually, he got to what you see in the video... and won a National Championship.

Hope this helps,

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com
zkparker likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrocksPerf View Post
If you wheelie to the point that you are 'crash landing' and hurting yourself - you are trying too hard. Smooth riding and proper set-up (chassis/gearing etc.) are the keys.

Leave the line about 6K, and get the throttle open as quickly as you can. I teach our riders to lock their wrist and modulate the throttle with their elbow/forearm. The key to quick ET's is to get the gas 100% locked before the 1-2 shift.

Here a video for motivation (pay close attention to the sound of the engine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFHrQRPlkw

Watch his throttle control - at first, he couldn't get his arm all the way down to WOT until after the 60ft - eventually, he got to what you see in the video... and won a National Championship.

Hope this helps,

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com

awesome. thanks so much for that Brock.

actually in reviewing the footage the rear tyre lit up on the start line momentarily and then wheelied the bike when it gripped (new Dunlop Q3- not exactly ideal for drag racing i know...).
The spin up also changed the direction of the bike a bit which is what made me shut off suddenly as it wheelie up and why it come down so hard.

thanks again for the feedback and loving the youtube channel and your work on the 2018 GSXR 1000!

Last edited by jjman; 03-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

otherwise, i also see that the forks were bottomed out in the event. fork travel zip tie is slammed hard against the bottom of the fork leg. While the fork isnt leaking oil or anything is it possible i still might have hurt something? from what i understand this level of compression is beyond the range of travel for the forks...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Track Day Winner

Wow, super video of text book launch ! Thanks for sharing that Brock.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

achieved my goals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180523_235240.jpg (74.9 KB, 5 views)
BrocksPerf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode