Cunning plan - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000
Cunning plan

Well, now that I own the best road bike ever, the *gasp* Kawi ZX14R, I am left with what to do with my still-beloved '07 GSXR 1000 that I have been thrashing on for a decade. I thought about selling but, I don't need to and the bike is still achingly beautiful to me. I'd also have to stock it out for it to be sellable and it's pretty far from that, with extended swing, bazazz, gearing, exhaust mods, nitrous and a million little things.

So, I'm going to double down and....turbocharge it. The motor is still extremely healthy, despite hundreds of dragstrip passes and touring miles so it should stand up to it. I've always wanted to turbocharge a bike. I've one it with cars before but, not a bike. Even a basic setup should knock out around 250 horse, which is plenty for an approx 450 pound bike.

Thoughts? Anyone want to talk me out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Cunning plan

Do it,but only if you have enough $ to do it right from the start,with all supporting mods. Go about it in this fashion,and you'll have a bike that runs mint without issues and is a blast to ride.

Cut corners,and you'll regret it every step of the way
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K41K

Never sell a bike if you don't have to. I regret selling my 93 GSXR, even though it was a pig. I've had my '04 since new, and unless I write it off or it gets stolen, I'll have it forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Bike's already set up for drag racing with nitrous anyway so, lots of supports already there. I've got the money. I don't want to split the cases and do the engine up bc it's in great shape as it sits so, that caps me a little on how much boost and governs what turbo I'd choose but, that's ok, I'd prefer the bike to be fun and still streetable anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_2963.jpg (78.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_1530.jpg (84.4 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2008 gsxr 1000,2005 turbo busa,2004 turbo busa,kz 900.yz 450f

Turbocharged bikes are the best setup ever as long as you don't cheap out. Save yourself a bunch of trouble and build the engine. At least rods,springs,studs and oil mods. Not sure how good stock 2007 pistons were in a 1000 but busa stockers have been pushed to 400 hp with a thick gasket or spacer. 250 hp will be ok for about a week. lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7-1000 View Post
Bike's already set up for drag racing with nitrous anyway so, lots of supports already there. I've got the money. I don't want to split the cases and do the engine up bc it's in great shape as it sits so, that caps me a little on how much boost and governs what turbo I'd choose but, that's ok, I'd prefer the bike to be fun and still streetable anyway.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Turbo specific supporting mods. Dragracing a turbo bike with a stock engine is playing with fire.

Sounds like you're mind is set,so good luck with the build
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

I hear you and understand....I don't really care too much if the motor eventually pops. For now, I've got the clutch set up already with HD springs, an extra plate if I need it and the slipper pins pulled. It's as good as it's going to get without going to a DR specific clutch; which I don't want bc I still want to be able to ride the bike on the road.

I tend to get a little more out of mild setups at the track than what's normally expected so, I'm not too worried about keeping the build subtle...at least as subtle as one can be with a turbo bike. Can't put too much pressure on the 07-08 1000 block anyway, there isn't the meat there to take it like the 'Bus or earlier 1000s. I am going to take my time with this; it isn't like I have a slow road bike I can't DR in the 14R.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

You might as well pull the engine and build it, or just sell it and build up a block.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Drag racing is the most expensive 8-9 seconds of fun I can imagine.
That's why I drag knee at the track.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspeed View Post
Never sell a bike if you don't have to. I regret selling my 93 GSXR, even though it was a pig. I've had my '04 since new, and unless I write it off or it gets stolen, I'll have it forever.
My feelings EXACTLY.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

The days of dragging knee are past me now. I'm recovering from a serious auto-immune disorder that destroyed my balance, coordination and strength. Due to sheer will power and a curious physician, I was able to get back to the dragstrip last year for a couple of street legal drag events near the end of the season. I continue to improve and I got the 14R so I'd have a more relaxed road bike. Thus, I can now feel free to make the GSXR more insane in the role it has held for the last few years, as a cheap blast for Friday nights.

It really wasn't an expensive 9 seconds. I've been beating on this thing for a decade and nothing has ever broken. I put extension blocks and long chain on it, a Shinko hookup on a used wheel from ebay, a fuel controller (finally, after running stock tune for years quite successfully) and in the last couple years, a small shot of spray. I challenge anyone to go racing anywhere for less money than that cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode