STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U'RE BIKE(RELOADED)!!! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: Forrest
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U\'RE BIKE(RELOADED)!!!

Here Iím going to go over the steps needed to lower your bike. This was for my 2001 1K. Iím doing this because a while ago I wanted to lower my bike but wasnít sure what was involved. Itís easier than I thought. I wished that a write up was available. But anyway, I took pictures, so maybe this will help someone else out, so here goes. Iím no expert, and this was the first time Iíve done this, so if u have other things to add, donít be shy.

If any of u think this should be a sticky(since this is the drag racing forum), speak up, and hopefully the mods will help us out.

First, lets talk about the front. There are two simple options available that I know of. First, u can drop your forks through the trees. This is a simple process and u can do it in about 20 minutes or so. Or u can buy a strap and to pull your frame down towards the brake calipers(for track use only). Keep in mind that the strap will only allow u to pull the front down so far. So the height of your forks through your trees will determine how far down u can pull your bike with your strap.

I did a combination of both, with dropping the forks through one inch, and also pulling the front down with a strap. With both these mods, I was able to drop the front approximately 4 inches. If u plan on riding your bike on the street, donít drop it too much through the forks. AND THE STRAP SHOULD ONLY BE USED DURING RACING, cause steering sucks, and your suspension basically isnít working anymore.

To install the strap:
1.)Remove these bolts.

2.) Install strap loop, and run up along side the frame, between the gas tank bolts, and the steering head, and around to the other side. Make sure to run the strap underneath any lines or wires.

3.)To lower, just grab the front brake with your right hand, hold the strap in your left hand and pull tightly, push forward on the gas tank with your body. Keep doing this till u get the bike low.

4.)This is easy, and can be done in seconds. After racing, simply hold the release button, grab the brake again, and try to roll the bike backwards (this will pull up the front and take tension off the strap. MAKE SURE ALL TENSION IS OFF THE STRAP BEFORE RIDING!!!!!

To drop the forks through:
1.)Loosen these bolts.(DO NOT LOOSEN IF STRAPS ARE TIGHT)

2.)Grab the fork from beneath, and push and twist upwards. It should go.

3.)Get it to where u want and measure this distance.

4.)Do the same for the other side.

5.)Re-tighten those fork tube bolts. BE WEARY OF THE TAPERING OF THE FORK TUBES AND MAKE SURE THE TRIPLE CLAMPS DOWN ON THEM TIGHTLY!!!!!

To drop the rear:

I got a set of speedlink adjustable links from Schnitz. I lowered mine an inch for street duty, but will drop another inch at the track. Hereís what I did. Start off with a baseline and adjust till u get them the same length as the stock ones. Have a helper hold the two ends, and u turn the center till u can see which way will lengthen and shorten them. Lengthening them will lower the bike. So once I found that that direction, I punched an arrow on them signaling which way to turn that will lower the bike(this will make it easier to adjust once on the bike). After u figure this out, install that one on the bike. Repeat for other side. Adjust as necessary once installed to the height u want.

1.)Loosen the rear of fairings.

2.)Remove the two dogbones in rear.

3.)Adjust the new links to same length as stock.

4.)Figure out which way will lengthen the link, scribe it with arrow pointing in direction lengthen them. (I had my arrows both pointing out from center of bike so I could see them. Then every time that arrow comes back around, thatís one full turn. For me, 8 turns lowered the bike about an inch)

5.)Install on bike, and tighten the jam nuts.

6.)Repeat for other side.

7.)Then adjust each side maybe 2 turns or so till u get what u want. (DON'T FORGET TO RE-TIGHTEN THOSE JAM NUTS)

The bike now feels different. But itís not bad at all, trust me. Iím not sure what Iíll do for 2 up riding though? I might have to raise the rear up and leave it that way? But when I go to the track, the rear will come down about 2 inches from stock, and the front will be down about 4 inches from stock.

Here's an old pic at the stock height.

Hereís a pic with the bike lowered 1 inch all around.

Hereís a pic with the front lowered with the strap as well. It doesn't look to much lower with the strap in the pic for some reason, but the strap actually "SLAMMED" it another 3 inches.

Another angle of the strapped bike.

To lazy to lower the rear right now for pics?

Tell me what ya think?

Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 02 1000 street, 03 r6 race bike, 06 750 street
Re: STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U\'RE BIKE(RELOADED)!!!

Great Post!!! Thanks m an.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R 1000

thanks a lot man. this helped me out so much. that was all the motivation i needed to drop my bike. now i just got to get the proper shit. thanks again man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Provisional Novice

i have the 3 hole adjustables that can go 1 and 2 inches i think.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: K5 Gixxer 1000

i was wondering does lowering the bike 1-2 inches effect the handling of the bike that much on the streets i like the look of it lowered and would like to run 1-2 inches lowered at all times
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Expert

You'll hear a lot of people tell u that it's murder. BUt for the street enthusiast that doesn't not ride his bike professionally, or is not having a track day, it's not a big deal on a modern sportbike.

I ride my bike on the street mainly, and my bike lowered 1 inch still handles better than any older stock bike. With the bike lowered 1 inch for daily use, I still ride pretty hard, and damn near drag a knee when I'm feeling froggy.

I also drag race which is why I lowered my bike in the first place.

Now, with the strap pulled down, and the bike lowered al the way, it does become un-rideable, and only becomes usable on the strip.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: K5 Gixxer 1000

cool thanks for the info
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Track Day Winner

You did a great job explaining this. I just need to re state to make sure you get them both even
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2002 gsxr 1000

So what needs to be done about the kickstand once the bike is lowered ... I'm assuming it won't support the bike anymore once it's dropped more than an inch or so?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: hayabusa

you need to cut the stand down and weld the foot back on or if you are rich go and by a aftermarket one that is ajustable
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Track Day Winner

Re: STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U\'RE BIKE(RELOADED)!!

ok so if i want to lower it about 3/4 to 1 inch i will still be ok on the road with no other adjustments and a day at the canyons will be ok with it lowered also correct?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Track Day Winner

I am not going to tell you that is the wrong way to do it, but i do believe it is unsafe. A RaceTech teacher tould me a better way of doing it, but this is only if u plan on dragging the bike only, u can disassemble your forks and put in a piece of pvc tube depending on type of fork, and it will limit your forks height, i will try and do a right up on it in school one day.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Squid

what if you have an 04 gsxr 600 how would i go about lowering it????
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 04 gsxr 1000

Thanks a lot man the was really helpfull on how to strap my rocket
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Can Never Be Another GDC

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 600 Ann.

Wouldn't these "lock" your suspension into one place? If you hit a hole you would have no cusion??? Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, how much lower from stock can a bike go without any mods?
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Squid

Re: STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U'RE BIKE(RELOADED)!!!

actually, your info on lowering the front tubes is one of the WORST ways to do that. if you do it that way, you have a very good chance of turning the tubes, and in doing that the bars will be off center. the BEST way to lower the front is to loosen the top triple tree clamps until it just comes loose and then turn it back tight a 1/4 turn or so. then loosen the bottom triple tree clamps very loose. then all you have to do is very slowly, AND ALWAYS HAVE TWO PEOPLE DOING THIS IF YOU CAN, BUT CAN BE DONE WITH ONE PERSON IF NEEDS BE,
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Squid

sorry bout that, but put a towel in between the front fender and the upper fairing if you still have the plastics on. now slowly lossen the top triple clamp bolts until the forks start sliding through the triple clamp. don't let it drop lower than you want it. measure every step of the way. once the tubes are the length you want them, and the tubes are EVEN, tighten everything up and check your bars. if they've turned, loosen up the bolts slightly and tap the front wheel in the opposite direction until straight. then tighten. this is the BEST way to do it. have fun and be careful!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2002 black and yellow gixxer 600 stretched 8 inches and lowered 1.5 inches.

When I got my gixxer 600 K2 it was already lowered 3 inches. how much of a difference will it be if i raise it up to stock.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Expert

I will see if I can reload this pics again, I have a more permanent webspace now
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K1 GSX-R1000, CBR250RR

It would be great if you could re-load them, i have a set of lowering links for the rear but unsure of how to do the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode