Metzeler Compk Slick - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
I have another tire question. I've scoured the web for a few days and read every post on every forum that I could find before I posted this. I'm a mid level intermediate rider with a dedicated track bike and currently use the Q3+. I've been planning using the Q4 next as I'm getting faster, but then I came across this tire and so far it sounds good. Has anyone had personal experience with it?

Its touted as a trackday slick that doesn't NEED warmers, but CAN be run with them too. Seems really popular in Europe and starting to catch on here. I dont think I have the pace to keep true slicks at the optimum temp so I figured these Compk slicks, or the Q4 would be a nice intermediate until then. Seems like the Compk is supposed to have excellent grip for my riding level but is getting better durability results which is why it's so recommended as a trackday or training tire. What do you guys think? And the pricing is right too, so that's also a plus. Also I do have tire warmers that I plan to start using. Got the digital set from mjmoto at a smoking deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190612-090219_Chrome_1560348258950.jpg (290.3 KB, 1 views)

Teach me brethren, for I am un-learned!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lopitt85; 06-12-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.
Re: Metzeler Compk Slick

Metzeler is a quality brand and that price looks pretty damned good.

From interacting with you, I think you are from Canada, so I will tell you to call the retailer to make sure that they will ship them to Canada. A lot of places won't ship tires internationally.

As for warmers, no tire NEEDS a warmer. You just put a couple laps on them before giving it the beans. The benefit of warmers is holding the heat in. You may notice that a tire that is heat cycled a lot will turn blueish and that's oils seeping out, making the tire hard. If you run warmers, you're looking at one heat cycle in a day vs 8 or 10 and the tire will perform better next time out. At the end of the day and you are packing up, put the warmers on, but don't plug them in to let the tire cool more slowly, too.

One way to see if your holding temps in a tire is to measure the pressures after they are on the warmers for 45 minutes and then measure the pressure IMMEDIATELY after a session, BEFORE you take off your helmet and gloves. If the pressures are the same, they are holding heat. If the pressure is lower coming off track, you are going too slow to hold that heat. That being said, if your warmers keep the tire at 180 degrees and you are at 160 degrees coming off the track, that is NOT a heat cycle.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Metzeler is a quality brand and that price looks pretty damned good.

From interacting with you, I think you are from Canada, so I will tell you to call the retailer to make sure that they will ship them to Canada. A lot of places won't ship tires internationally.

As for warmers, no tire NEEDS a warmer. You just put a couple laps on them before giving it the beans. The benefit of warmers is holding the heat in. You may notice that a tire that is heat cycled a lot will turn blueish and that's oils seeping out, making the tire hard. If you run warmers, you're looking at one heat cycle in a day vs 8 or 10 and the tire will perform better next time out. At the end of the day and you are packing up, put the warmers on, but don't plug them in to let the tire cool more slowly, too.

One way to see if your holding temps in a tire is to measure the pressures after they are on the warmers for 45 minutes and then measure the pressure IMMEDIATELY after a session, BEFORE you take off your helmet and gloves. If the pressures are the same, they are holding heat. If the pressure is lower coming off track, you are going too slow to hold that heat. That being said, if your warmers keep the tire at 180 degrees and you are at 160 degrees coming off the track, that is NOT a heat cycle.

Thanks. Your guess on where I am made me laugh a little, update my profile, and wonder why you guessed Canada 🤔😂. I'm originally from Florida, been in Texas the last 9 years, and Wisconsin now for 2 months.

Glad to hear it about the Metzeler brand, I'm gonna pull the trigger on a front and 2 rears. I'll keep in mind what you said about the tires and the warmers. And I'll start using my warmers with these. I had that blue color on my last set of Q3+, now I know why. And I plan on keeping a notepad with my tire pressures off the warmers, tire pressures hot off track, and ambient air temp.

Teach me brethren, for I am un-learned!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode