Rain tire substitute - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SPL170db

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Rain tire substitute

I've been looking at getting some of the Michelin Pilot Road 4 for rain tires on a spare set of wheels so that I can still enjoy the track on a rainy day. I tried it once on my Q3+ tires and it was no fun. I like the PR4 because it has siping to the edge unlike the PR5. What do you guys think, will they work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
I have never run them, but have a riding buddy that can carry a decent pace (he's never been on track, but I would place him mid-B) that has. If it is a dry track and you are the same pace or faster, you will eat them up. I love Michelin, but will not buy that tire as I am substantially harder on them and no they wont last. If it is wet they will prob be fine. In other words, I would bring your other set and be prepared to swap if it dries out. And if you are going to do that, why not just go with a rain/track tire?

Personally, I try to stay off the track if it's wet. I did it once, dude in front of me went down, I backed WAY down, and went down three corners later. Just not worth the risk to me. Rain tires are way to expensive and will tie up another set of wheels.

I am getting ready to buy a set of the Road 5s for road tires as they got away from the sipping on the edge. I am hoping they can handle knee dragging in the dry and can handle decent lean in the wet. The PR2s have worked for me for years, but they are old/hard to find now.

If you are racing, that is different. You need the practice as you will have wet races...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
I'm not racing now, but I do have the desire to try it after I build my skills up. I figure by the time I am seasoned as an advanced group rider I will be ready to try racing. I plan on having the PR4 mounted on a spare set of wheels that I carry with me to the track. I figured they would work well in the rain and decided on them specifically because they have siping all the way to the edges, and they would be cheaper than rain tires. Figured it would be a good way to get some wet track time under my belt. Last time on my Q3+ tires was NOT fun. I pulled off after two really sketchy laps.

Teach me brethren, for I am un-learned!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
That guy is currently on the Q3+, but takes it easy in the wet and no track duty. He likes them so far. I had a set of Q4s on my 600, but they only lasted 5 days of mountain riding and no good in the rain, especially when they hit the wear bars.
Rain takes a light touch for sure. And when I mentioned racing, I really meant in a season where points are important, not just every now and again.
It is a whole different world in the A group. It may change your mind, or you may be hooked. The last club I ran with in A didn't really frown on contact, as long as you didn't put someone down. Lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: Rain tire substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopitt85 View Post
I'm not racing now, but I do have the desire to try it after I build my skills up. I figure by the time I am seasoned as an advanced group rider I will be ready to try racing.

Fuck that. Best way to build your skills up for racing....is to GO RACING.

You can work out the kinks during morning trackdays *cough* *cough* I mean morning practice. Either you have your shit together when the flag drops or you don't!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
I've seen people say that before, but I'm still nowhere near ready to try racing. I've only been riding motorcycles for 2.5 years now so I'm still really inexperienced. I was riding track 30 days after I started, but only like 3 times that year. The second year where I was hitting the track multiple days a month is when I saw real improvements. I just have so much more to learn and smooth out that I wouldn't feel comfortable racing. I can't imagine how shitty I'd feel if I took out someone because I was out there before I should've been.

Teach me brethren, for I am un-learned!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

I've only dabbled with them briefly in the wet on the road, but I've always read reviews praising the Pilot Power 2CTs are being great in the wet. As I understand it Michelin STILL continues to make these tires these many years later. They are more sport focused than a Pilot Road.

8you4t likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I've only dabbled with them briefly in the wet on the road, but I've always read reviews praising the Pilot Power 2CTs are being great in the wet. As I understand it Michelin STILL continues to make these tires these many years later. They are more sport focused than a Pilot Road.

Brilliant tyre them ... had them on my track 600rr
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
I've heard good things about them as trackday tires in the dry. And I hear they are decent in the rain on the street. I love my Q3+ on the street even when I had them out in some really heavy rain. But when i put them on a wet track they were bad enough that I'll never do it again. Maybe I'll just have to pony up for some actual rain tires.

These are the ones I've been eyeballing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg michelin_pilot_road4_tires_1559954140435.jpg (51.4 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:20 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

If you have a spare set of wheels that you want to mount a rain tire to, then why don't you just go to race rains? Wanting track performance out of road tires is a stretch. Also, are you actually gonna ride in the rain, or just the wet? If you're just gonna go in the wet, stick to trackday DOTs and don't bother mounting another set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode