5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750
Re: Growing up sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SŁsser Tod View Post
Family comes first, true. But that also means that you should look for the well being of all family members, including yourself.
That's how I rationalize my riding. I'd been away from track riding too long but a major health scare made me realize the passion is still there and I need to be out doing it while I still can. It's the one outlet I pour myself into, so I figure I'm a better me when I'm doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Pretty sure I'm not going to hang it up just yet. Going on vaca next week and when I get back I'll be talking to a couple salvage places to see what the better option is. Rebuild, or replace.
tigerblade likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

I think that ultimately if you get joy from doing it, you're going to regret trying to hang it up. If you have concerns with the amount of money, you could always go to a cheaper bike like a Ninja 250/300, because people still rip around on it. And you're definitely not too old for track days, as there are people well into their 60s still doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Squid

I can relate. I had been racing on and off for over 15 years. For the last couple years of my career, I got serious and raced every event. I ended up runner up in the class and won the championship the following year. I was on my way to a 2nd class championship when I decided I was done. The fire and passion for the sport was gone. I was 39 at the time. The recession had just hit, I had kids and a dwindling bank account. A lot was happening in my life and racing just didnít fit in any more. I showed up to my next event with a fresh set of tires and pre paid registration and just turned around and went home. I sold my trailer, tire warmers, generator, everything. I was completely done, or so I thought. That was 11 years ago... Since then, I've done some sport touring and dirt riding. I bought a Harley Dyna and put Ohlin's suspension on it. When I first retired from racing, I cruised around everywhere. I enjoyed seeing the trees and mountains for the first time and really just CRUISED around. I had nothing to prove and I routinely let the squids pass without letting ego get in the way. Lately however, I find myself riding a little too fast for the canyons. Taking risks again, enjoying the tilt of the horizon, and of course the chase.

And so, I started my search on craigslist. I found a clean 91 gixxer to take to the track. Now I'm 50 and my kids are in college, I'm planning to do some AHRMA or local club events. Now that Iím older, I plan to push myself, but not at the level I raced before. I wonít be taking chances like I did before. The whole plan now is to travel, ride fast, meet new friends, and have fun. Enjoy a break. Sometimes life happens and you just have to go with your gut. When you return, youíll regain that excitement and desire to be out there again. And maybe be in a better place in life where you donít have to feel guilty due to other family obligations.
Aircrftr likes this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
I did my first trackday in 2005. I think it was 2007 when I crashed at the track and had to claim insurance. From that point on, I did maybe one or two trackdays with a little reservation and intention to get a track bike. Fast forward to the Indy GP in 2013. Sat on the Million Edition GSXR 1000. The following Tuesday, I bought it. My 600 was then designated my track bike. I spent that summer and fall working, saving, and prepping the bike. I did a couple days in 2014, and 2015. A new house prevented any in 2016. 2017 I did about half a dozen. 2018, the first day of the season I highsided at NCM. Got the frame measured and it's toast.

I can't describe the fealings I've had over the past few days. I essentially have 3 options. Fix it, start over, or hang it up. My son turns 17 in a few weeks and any money I spend on track is starting to feel selfish. Hands down, the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle has been on the track. For the past 6 years, all of my effort has been focused on getting track ready. Warmers, tools, a truck and trailer, hell, even a regular gym regimen to get strong. That's a lot of time and effort. I sold the 1000cc about 6 weeks ago and bought a Harley for the street because the wife wasn't comfortable and track riding changes your definition of fun....

I'm 41 years old. I've done it, and I'm struggling with just hanging it up all together (frankly, I'm drunk right now due to that struggle). At one moment, it's sell it all..... part out the bike, sell the stands, the warmers, etc. In the next moment, it's buy a frame and rebuild. In the next, part this bitch out and buy something more modern. I could drop 4k and on lap 1 of the session 1 of my next day out, wad up another bike. Pile onto that, new leathers and a new lid. Personally, who the fuck cares. In the same instant, my son is headed to trade school soon. Is 41 when you look back on your life and say you've taken enough risks and it's time to be thankful you've make it through?

I've been a member here for 13 years. I've seen some of the OGs hang it up (AntD, MotoJoe, and a couple others). I've also seen silver haired men in the start of their retirement make fools of the cocky 20-somethings at every trackday I've been to. I don't know how to feel about this. Am I quitting? Is it just natural progression? I'm just lost. From what I've learned, I was just finding out what it meant to be fast. On the edge of the next level. Yet, here I am, wondering if it's all worth it. My wife is supportive no matter what and I couldn't be luckier. No decision feels right and I just don't know what to do.......
When you look back on your life you will want to make sure that you have NO REGRETS. THat's how I think about things and how I make decisions in my life. I never want to wonder, what if....so if the door opens I usually barge through it. If an opportunity comes I take it. If I have passion, I follow it. I'm 42 years old with two kids age 7 and 9 and I do things that sometimes feel selfish but when I truly look at it, I'm teaching my children life lessons that I value. I want my kids to follow their dreams so what better way to show them how then for them to see their mom doing it? I want my kids to live their passion so what better way for them to learn how then to watch me living a passionate life. They see their mother riding motorcycles, racing, coaching, writing and travelling and I hope it teaches them that if they have passion in their life it can very well lead to a career or a happy fulfilled life. Money will always be an issue so think about what is important, what makes YOU happy and go for it.

Now, one thing you do mention is that you have had several costly crashes and that you are worried about another one. Have you invested in proper rider training? I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and can't advocate for the school enough. Sometimes spending the cash on a track day that will also teach you the proper skills for track and street riding will be the most worthwhile investment you could ever make. If it saves you from one crash or close call then it is well worth it.

Anyway, check it out and always FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS. 41 is not old. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Live you life with no regrets. Just do it.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

links not allowed
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Squid

I'm 46...just bought my 2008 gsxr 1000, it's a track day weapon. I've always wanted to ride the track but thought it would never happen... made some friends that I ride street with... one of them bought a track bike 5 weeks ago, I followed and did the same and another buddy joined in. We have 8 track days booked for this summer... the anticipation of it all gives me chills! Similar to when I was a kid and dreaming of my first dirt bike or Christmas eve. Going to be an epic summer...

Don't quit... you are too young!
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

2 things:
1) It sounds like you pretty-much went whole-hog on the big buck slippery slope. A big season for me was 5-6 TDs. I'd rent a van or a trailer, remove mirrors, tape-up my lights and make sure I'm on sticky rubber. That's it.

At one point, I bought a very nice dedicated track whore one year but sold it after a season because I didn't see the value. Mind you, I'm out there to have fun, not to break records so I have never tossed my ride on the track. There's a big gap between tday riding and amateur racing.

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
....and track riding changes your definition of fun....
Same here, except in the opposite direction, if I understand what you're saying. Pre track days, I used to ride like an ass on the street. Lots of straight line acceleration, high speed etc...

Post track-days, after getting a knee down and finding out what riding really is, riding 'fast' on the street became meaningless. Now I have fun in the turns and just cruise when the road is boring (straight). Same in the car.

My two cents: you can have a great tday season without getting carried away financially. Even with my budget model, it's still an expensive hobby - I don't even want to think what guys like you pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Been really loving the Harley. Did a 3 day camping trip with some friends all on motorcycles. That was a lot of fun. But, I'm really looking forward to get back on the track.

So for a full update....
Bike has a new frame, front wheel, front rotors, and a new upper (and all the incidentals). Just needs painted. Leathers went to Barnacle Bill and have been repaired. Found a Shoei X14 on closeout for $400. Just a year old, so it's viable for the track for 5 years. I'm ready to hit the track right now. The paint is just cosmetic.

As far as trackday expenses, I'll call food a wash. If I have to travel, you can tack on hotel at $100 a night and fuel to get there and back. I always get a garage if their available, and are at my home track. I'm also going through a set of tires every 2 days. So here's what a track weekend actually costs me:
$180 for the track (assuming $180 a day).
$75 for the garage
$180 for tires (half use)
$100 in fuel for the truck and the bike

You can call it 550 a day just to participate. Getting to this point was a journey. When I started doing trackdays, I would ride to the track and I'd go through two sets of tires a season. It can be done cheap. My overall setup includes a trailer, chock, big Rubbermaid tub, track boots and gloves (don't wear these on the street), good extension cord, 2 fans, power strip, card table, cooler, fuel can, warmers, back protector, some basic tools and box, and some garage supplies. Most of which fits in that tub (which makes me very portable). Excluding the bike, I've got about $3000 in dedicated equipment. The trailer and some of the other stuff gets used for more than trackdays, so it could be considered less. But I've acquired this stuff over 10 years too. I typically budget about $6000 a year for trackdays with a target of doing 6 - 8 days a year. And to me, it's worth every penny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

It's an expensive hobby, that's for sure. Still much lower TCOO (total cost of ownership) than anything with tits though.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:48 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: BMW R1100GS
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
It's an expensive hobby, that's for sure. Still much lower TCOO (total cost of ownership) than anything with tits though.
Are Guzzis and BMWs that more expensive to own then ?

But seriously, I'm jealous of all you guys around my age who have been riding all their life. I only discovered this a little over a year ago, and my biggest regret is that I didn't start 20 years earlier...
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode