What's your trailer setup? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
What's your trailer setup?

While looking around the interwebs I saw open trailers ranging from harbor freight to specialized folding motorcycle specific trailers. Lots of folks running enclosed of various sizes. I even saw a receiver hitch mounted carrier that tow the bike behind your truck, no trailer needed (anyone using one).

Attached are before and after pics of mine that I'll be using this year. I bought it off eBay a couple of months back for $300. Started life as a 3 dirtbike carrier with open space between the 3 tracks and 2k lbs axle. I used just the middle track to tow a couple of times. Wanted to be able to tow multiple bikes and didn't like that my rear tire didn't fit completely down in the track so I started modifying it for my tastes. I added 4 more steel cross/support beams. I redid the paint with black rustoleum enamel which has proven very durable over the years on everything from car engines and chassis parts to fence posts. Freshened up all my grounds and fixed all the wiring for good lights. Added some reflectors. Added a spare tire carrier and telescoping trailer jack. Picked up 3 of the 12" trailer tires with 1k lbs limit per tire for safer travel at highway speeds and to reduce RPMs on the bearings. Then I ran pressure treated 2x8 decking for where I will place the bikes I'm carrying. I added/moved several anchor points for a total of 14. You can see the the new ones that are bright silver from the zinc plating. I may replace all of the others so that they all stand out in bright silver. Only mods left are bolting my two wheel chocks to the wood decking, repack the bearings when I install the bigger wheels, and I may have to adjust the trailer fenders for the bigger wheels.

I think it makes for a versatile trailer now. Can carry 2 motorcycles, 3 dirtbikes, something bigger like atv/riding lawnmower, or even furniture. I'm also thinking about fabbing a place up front to carry tools and gas can, bit will probably just keep it in the tow vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170821_202150_1514939061642.jpg (21.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20180102_180921_1514939278623.jpg (25.0 KB, 15 views)

Teach me brethren, for I am un-learned!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!
Re: What's your trailer setup?

I'm not a fan of the little wheels, regardless of their highway approved load ratings.
I started off with something similar, and had to always carry 2 or 3 spares on a road trip. At least they're cheap!
I was never over loaded either, a single bike or sled.
Stick to the slow lanes...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beairsto Racing View Post
I'm not a fan of the little wheels, regardless of their highway approved load ratings.
I started off with something similar, and had to always carry 2 or 3 spares on a road trip. At least they're cheap!
I was never over loaded either, a single bike or sled.
Stick to the slow lanes...
Yeah, the small wheels worried me most. They're rated to 65mph iirc. I've towed 1hr each way at 70-75 without issue, but wasn't comfortable. The bigger 12 inch wheels should be better. I also looked at some 13 inch radials but thought they were overkill. I figure if cars can use a 13 or 14 my trailer should be ok with a 12.

Just curious, what size wheels were you running, trailer weight? Did you ever have a blowout?

Last edited by lopitt85; 01-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
The tires in the pic are 4.80x8", I'm replacing them with 4.80x12"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!

My little used Canadian Tire, bolt together trailer was free, it came with 8" wheels, which I upgraded to 10" and later 12". Yes, they would blow after sustained 70mph use. It would have been great around a city, but not all day on the highway. I towed it 17 hours straight to Bonneville in 2000 and had to buy more spares in Salt Lake for the trip home.
Your results may vary. They're cheap for a reason, but good enough to run errands to Home Depot.
Just take it easy, and keep inspecting the tires.

I've got a 30' enclosed race trailer which I love, but its not very practical when I'm just moving one bike around. I needed a little utility trailer, I picked this one up for $100 a few years ago. I liked that it was weird, it was built in the early 80's and has a Chevy Citation rear axle, the struts are still there. I had it sandblasted, replaced the sheet metal and deck. Trailer rated 13" tires were cheap. The pull out ramp is handy. It should be good for many more adventures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 22 2013 002.jpg (84.8 KB, 9 views)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Haha, 17 hrs... I haven't mounted my 12" wheels yet, maybe I should get 13"s instead?

That trailer was a smoking deal for $100.

Attached are the wheels chocks I'm using

Last edited by lopitt85; 01-02-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Carry-On 6x10 enclosed with Pitbull TRS. It has 15 inch wheels if I remember correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.19.29 PM.jpg (8.5 KB, 46 views)
tigerblade and agnt_kruger like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Quality Steel 5x8 open utility. The things I looked for were a 15" wheels, shackled leaf springs and double tongue. Came with tongue jack and folding/removable ramp. I bolted in a Condor chock and mounted a spare. Not bad for < $1000.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
For you guys with the enclosed trailers did you upgrade from an open trailer or did you go straight to an enclosed? I'd imagine the enclosed is nice when you're taking long or overnight trips.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Towed my bike(s)on an open 4'x8' trailer for a few years then upgraded to a Haulmark 6'x10 enclosed back in '05. Best money I've ever spent since I trailer my bikes quite a bit

Best upgrade I can suggest for you is to make the switch to a 15" car tire instead of those small trailer tires.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Used to use a 5x8 open for about a year and change before moving up to the 6x10. The only nice thing about the open one was that it was easier to tow being that its much lighter and doesn't drag through the air like an enclosed. Beyond that the enclosed is better in every way. Your shit is secure and locked up away from prying eyes. Its covered up from the weather. At least a dozen times I've hit rain either on the way to or coming back from the track and its nice to have everything still be dry when you get home to unpack.

Of course you can also throw down an inflatable mattress in back and use it as your spot to sleep in when at the track as well. There's other benefits as well, you could go on.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Man, you guys have me thinking about moving up with my tire selection.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

What are your needs for the next 2-3 seasons? IE how many trackdays do you plan on doing? How far is it to each these tracks?

Since you're currently learning how to ride, there are a lot of things you can spend your money on. If track days are to be a big part of your 2018 plans, then trailer wheels & tires will just be a lil-wee part of your budget.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
So I've been mulling whether to return the 12" trailer wheel/tire combo that I picked up for something bigger. It made me realize that I have some 15" wheels and tires in the correct bolt pattern in the garage. I just gotta see if the backspacing will work for me. I'll post results after I give it a try.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage

Depending on the design of the wheels you have, you could mount them inside-out, this would change it so the offset is reverse, could help you. Depending on how wide it is, this usually puts additional stress on the hubs so just make sure your hubs are in good condition.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. If it doesnt work then I've been eyeballing some 14" radial trailer tires.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage

Another option is just go wreckers knowing your stud measurement. You'll surprised how cheap you can get them off wrecked cars if there is a model that shares the same stud pattern.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
That's a good option too. I just need to measure my back spacing and offset. It's the really common 5x4.5 pattern
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:32 AM
Squid

I use the harbor freight trailers. Upgraded the bearings and off I go. I'm able to fit two sports bike with pitbull trs to make loading easier
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM
AR1
Track Day Winner

Garage

First setup was a 4x8 HF trailer behind a Subaru. Then the same trailer behind a beater S10 pick-up. Now I have a van. You'll probably want to get a van at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode