Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New track Bike Build.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Carnage 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I've been doing track days on my k9 600 for awhile now and got the chance to grab a cheap K4 1000. It needed a little work as it had previously been stolen and recovered(somewhat in parts) With all official documents. I've put it back together. I've changed the clutch, spark plugs, fluids and filters. Basically given it a full service. I've picked up a cheap set of never before fitted Hot Bodies race glass and fitted that also(Just needs a paint Job).

Which leads me to my first question. Is there supposed to be a piece that fills the gap between rider seat and frame? There's about a 2 inch gap and if I sit on it, it will undoubtedly break.

Has anyone supported it in another way or has suggestions on how to?! Ie, high density foam?

The next question is because its been recovered, who ever stole it broke the key hole on the triple clamp and then filed it off. Are those woodcraft key switch harnesses worth the money? Do they work without fault? or am I better off getting a new top triple clamp (ive installed a new ignition barrel).

The good news is that it doesnt owe me anything, because it was recovered stripped the police gave the owner all the bike parts in the workshop as they didnt know which ones were to fit....(2 Yoshi R55's, the factory howtizer and a cheap Ebay job).

I have more Questions but ill start here for now.

Cheers for the responses in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Usually there is some sort of support.

Something like this for example

It's not that hard to make one yourself. I have used wood and fiberclass.

This is exactly what im missing for mine. I have doctored one up out of the old seat base and built up a high density foam/rubber to support the rider weight. It doesnt look great, but its under the fairing so its all good!

#5 ·
If I were in your shoes I'd make the 600 your track bike and just throw whatever parts are needed on the 1000 to tool around on the street with.

....and that's a Superbike tail you have there on the bike. Its not meant to have the stock seat sit on top of it (not that you would want it there anyway, look how high up in the air you'll be, under braking you'd slide right up onto the tank). Just get one of those stick on seat foam pads, something like this, $40 and you're done: https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=71-0242PAD

If you want to keep the stock seat you would need a Supersport tail that has a cutout that allows for mounting of the stock seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.