Solution to passing sound check - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bueshy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Solution to passing sound check

@Just_Nick just made me possibly believe that all hope may not be lost.

I was about to put my stock pipe back on because I'm planning a track day. On a previous trip to this track, the stock exhaust on my last K6 1000 with SET valve disabled barely passed sound check (apparently, it didn't but the guy let me on because it was close - Canada sucks).

My current bike has an awesome full Akra racing system but I know it's obviously louder than stock so it'll for sure cause a problem.

@Just_Nick said to shove a towel in it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

But then that will be pretty visible to the guy with the DB meter hanging out at the business end of the pipe......

Anyone else have any old-school temporary solutions to let my bike pass sound check? I doubt a towel would catch fire revving it up for a few seconds but is there any other wisdom to be shared out here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Re: Solution to passing sound check

Pack and move lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

I'm no track expert, especially in Canadia, but I would probably avoid the towel work around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
@Just_Nick just made me possibly believe that all hope may not be lost.

I was about to put my stock pipe back on because I'm planning a track day. On a previous trip to this track, the stock exhaust on my last K6 1000 with SET valve disabled barely passed sound check (apparently, it didn't but the guy let me on because it was close - Canada sucks).

My current bike has an awesome full Akra racing system but I know it's obviously louder than stock so it'll for sure cause a problem.

@Just_Nick said to shove a towel in it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

But then that will be pretty visible to the guy with the DB meter hanging out at the business end of the pipe......

Anyone else have any old-school temporary solutions to let my bike pass sound check? I doubt a towel would catch fire revving it up for a few seconds but is there any other wisdom to be shared out here?
I imagine a DB-killer insert from Akrapovic, or really any company that makes it in the proper diameter, would bring it down enough to be passable.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

This is a real racing system. The Evolution II full Ti / carbon fiber kit... no db killer available.

Maybe fabbing something with steel and fiberglass is the way to go, as opposed to shoving a blanket in there.

Or move to the states. But I doubt I'll qualify with Trump's new merit-based system
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

Could you shove steel wool into the pipe?
600k2 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
This is a real racing system. The Evolution II full Ti / carbon fiber kit... no db killer available.

Maybe fabbing something with steel and fiberglass is the way to go, as opposed to shoving a blanket in there.

Or move to the states. But I doubt I'll qualify with Trump's new merit-based system
I know it's a full system, that's what I have. But, you're just sticking it in long enough to kill the noise, not permanently sticking it in.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Just throw a stocker on there. IF you happened to go down, I'd rather smash the stock one anyways.

If a stock pipe with the exhaust valve open barely passed, then thats pretty damn quiet. I dont see hardly any aftermarket pipe being quiet enough.

WTF, is this track next to an old folks home or something?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Maybe just me but I find it ironic that you have a full Akrapovič race exhaust but it wont allow you on the race track. Really, just me then?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
Maybe just me but I find it ironic that you have a full Akrapovič race exhaust but it wont allow you on the race track. Really, just me then?
No, it's not just you. I find the concept stupid but I think it's up to the trakc day organizers, not the tracks themselves. Something about keeping the locals from bitching too much. Race weekends are events that support the local economy.

Track days not so much... but they make more noise because they go on ALL DAY LONG, all weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
Just throw a stocker on there. IF you happened to go down, I'd rather smash the stock one anyways.
Now THIS pushes the scenario waaaaaay into the territory of 'irony'... putting the stock exhaust back on because of noise at the track and in case I toss it

By that logic, I should not be riding this bike at a track day at all. This mint bike's worth more than the exhaust.

Maybe I'll just buy another bike and keep this one in storage
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:22 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Quote:
No, it's not just you. I find the concept stupid but I think it's up to the trakc day organizers, not the tracks themselves. Something about keeping the locals from bitching too much. Race weekends are events that support the local economy.

Track days not so much... but they make more noise because they go on ALL DAY LONG, all weekend.

Now THIS pushes the scenario waaaaaay into the territory of 'irony'... putting the stock exhaust back on because of noise at the track and in case I toss it

By that logic, I should not be riding this bike at a track day at all. This mint bike's worth more than the exhaust.

Maybe I'll just buy another bike and keep this one in storage
My pirdy stocker stays in the garage, street when I do ride it. The track bike is kinda pirdy too, but thats what I built it for, track. There's no expensive OEM body works on it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

Pack with steel wool.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
I know it's a full system, that's what I have. But, you're just sticking it in long enough to kill the noise, not permanently sticking it in.
This is what I would do. Get a baffle for the road legal ones and stick it in there. Mine is just a slip-on so it has the screw, but it's so snug that even without it I doubt it would fall out.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

These noise restrictions suck. I need to measure how loud my M4 is. My local track doesn't have a restriction, but the National Corvette Museum track does. I really want to go back down there, but a 4 hour drive to find out I can't ride isn't something I want to do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
..... a 4 hour drive to find out I can't ride isn't something I want to do.

That is precisely the reasoning behind this thread. Except it's 3 hours to Calabogie Motorsports Park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode