1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGeek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
MTD - Putnam Park 7-29-17

I don't know how the fuck some of these guys do back to back days. I ride hard on Saturday and I don't think my legs could take another day. But damn! The weather couldn't have been better. Sunny, upper 70s and low humidity.

There were 2 tires vendors there this weekend along with Velociy Calibrations. MTD had their Perelli setup, and across from my garage was Turn One Racing with Dunlop and Bridgestone. I had velocity read my tires. They had one day on them and he said there doesn't seem to be any setup issues, but his first question "are these feeling greasy". Turns out, I've progressed enough that I'm overheating the street rubber. I went over to T1R and told them what I was running and asked what the next step was. I've always like Dunlops, and we talked about all the options they had available. I agreed a full on slick was going to be overkill and not economical. I thought about it, and although the Q3s weren't close to worn out, after a couple more sessions I decided to upgrade. I ended up with Bridgestone R10. The Evo in the rear to maintain the 180. Type 4 (soft) front and Type 2 (hard) rear. Holy shit! There's a big difference between race rubber and street rubber. Street rubber is good and sticky... to a point. Also, the carcass performs differently. I'm still not fast enough, nor do I have enough exposure to compare and contrast tires. All I know is there's an obvious threshold. Once you start flirting with it, you'll plateau in speed and lean angle. Race tires before that will under perform the expectations, and after that, street tires can't maintain performance.

So, that's what I learned this time out. I haven't check my lap times yet, but I felt really strong and was hanging on longer to guys that were walking away from me 4 weeks ago. I call that a win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .facebook_1501520139794.jpg (56.7 KB, 1 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
Re: MTD - Putnam Park 7-29-17

Hell yeah! My previous personal best was a 1:19. This is session 7 (I think 6 was better, but I must have forgotten to start the GoPro). I ran a few 1:17 and 1:19 was the slowest. And near the end (13:20), that yellow blur that passes me..... That's Matt Carr. Ex AMA racer and owner of Indy Ducati. Rest assured he's not on a stock Pengale..... He's been working on breaking the track record. I topped out this weekend at 140mph before breaking. Rumor has it he routinely hits 175 down that 2100' straight.
Ryan... likes this.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode