B Mode = Crash Mode - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600
B Mode = Crash Mode

Well, I went down today.

After installing the RapidBike among other things, I made my way out to the track today. The bike ran like a top and there was a very noticeable difference in throttle response, so much so that I wasn't as smooth as I needed to be with my throttle inputs. That's when I decided to kick it into B mode. For getting back into the groove of things, this was great. I already knew B mode didn't limit power, it limits power delivery. What I didn't know was that the throttle response between, say, 25% vs 100% throttle input has no difference when accelerating. In A mode, it's an obvious difference. Since I've always used A mode, this was a learning curve for me and it caused me to make a mistake.

I ran in B mode for a few hours and really improved controlling my inputs better. I made the decision to stay in B mode because I felt there was no need to switch back, it's just a track day and I was making more progess with it anyway. I became pretty capable and comfortable with trail braking last year, and this is where the accident occurred. After picking up the pace for the last hour before the wreck, I started practicing my corner entries again. Cornering felt great as well as the entries, and my inputs had greatly improved to the point where I felt comfortable approaching corners faster. I was about to dive into a left hand corner, brakes were already being applied progressively and I began my turn in. I slowed down at the expected rate, but then I realized that I was no longer decreasing in speed. Of course, while I was rolling off of the throttle while I was braking. What I didn't understand at the time was how far I actually had the throttle open still because of the difference in throttle response as I mentioned earlier. I was still going faster than I wanted to into the corner, so I naturally applied more front brake while attempting the turn in. The front tire began chirping because the rear was continuing at the same speed the entire time. I lost my front tire and I made sweet, sweet love to the earth.

That was a painful low side. I estimate that I rolled a good 200 feet before coming to a stop. It felt like I body slammed the pavement I took a huge blow to the head and all of my ribs on my left side feel like they met Brock Lesnar in person. Most importantly, I walked away. Was checked out at an ER and I was cleared with no major injuries and possibly a minor concussion. I was really concerned about my ribs. I have a small area of road rash on my left wrist smaller than a penny, but big and deep enough to be annoying until it heals.

The bike's injuries consist of a broken OEM rear set (have a pair of Vortex ready to throw on), lightly damaged slip-on, the rear tire may have been separated from the rim when it hit the dirt, and cosmetic damages. GB racing covers held up well, I'm really happy with them. I plan on tearing it down again to clean it well and inspect the front suspension. It flipped side over side, but doesn't have significant damage that I could see at the time.

All in all, it was a good day. I was so excited to get back on the track and it felt great, except how it ended, of course. I can't fault the bike at all, it did what it was told to do. I just wasn't good enough at telling it what to do, in this event I certainly took something out of this crash. Luckily, I should be back out there next month after making repairs and I won't be enticed to switch modes now that I have my muscle memory back. If I ever plan on using it in the rain, I need to spend some quality hours practicing with it.

I'm just laying here in bed after laying the kiddos down and thought I'd share this with ya'll. Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike crash 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	503818   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike crash 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	503826  

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.

Last edited by tatersalad314; 05-06-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: B Mode = Crash Mode

Nudes, I mean pics of the bike?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Nudes, I mean pics of the bike?
You got it bud, had to email them to myself first. I never get quality uploads from my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

Sorry to hear that, glad you weren't hurt worse. I only ever tried B mode once when i got caught on a slippery, oily, concrete road as it started to rain when the bike was new. I never spent any time with it on to really ride.

Last edited by oldfart01; 05-07-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Glad you are mostly ok...

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2016 GSX-R 750 Black on Black

Glad you're okay! What a bummer though. Rest up, get her fixed and then back out there The track sounds so amazing to get to go out and ride on. Wish I had one local.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_GSXR_Girl View Post
Glad you're okay! What a bummer though. Rest up, get her fixed and then back out there The track sounds so amazing to get to go out and ride on. Wish I had one local.
There are tons of tracks in FL... Where are you located?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Squid

I'm in Bradenton next to the drag strip. No road courses nearby... that I know of at least!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
I'm in Bradenton next to the drag strip. No road courses nearby... that I know of at least!
PBIR is less than 3 hours away...
FL_GSXR_Girl likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Squid

I'll look it up. Not too close, but maybe if we made a weekend of it. Thanks for letting me know
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:55 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Anything under 8 hours is close... I have flown across the country for track time, and have driven to JenningsGP numerous time for weekend track days/races.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Thanks @Anthony D and @oldfart01 Surprisingly enough, my ribs feel better than they did yesterday. Of course the rest of me is a little more sore than before. I'll be fine in a couple of days and the repairs will begin so I get get back out there. I just hope I don't get the hiccups until after I heal up, that would be awful

Quote:
I'll look it up. Not too close, but maybe if we made a weekend of it. Thanks for letting me know
You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't advocate for getting into track riding around here. 3 hours is close enough that you could just wake up early and head out there, prep the night before. I've driven 4 hours to a track, rode all day, and drove 4 hours back that evening. It's well worth it.
FL_GSXR_Girl likes this.

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Thanks @Anthony D and @oldfart01 Surprisingly enough, my ribs feel better than they did yesterday. Of course the rest of me is a little more sore than before. I'll be fine in a couple of days and the repairs will begin so I get get back out there. I just hope I don't get the hiccups until after I heal up, that would be awful

A big cough or sneeze too, you'll about shit yourself! I think a sneeze is the worst.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
A big cough or sneeze too, you'll about shit yourself! I think a sneeze is the worst.
Sounds like you speak from experience, I hope not to shart myself
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:14 PM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

Does this mean no TWS next weekend?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
Does this mean no TWS next weekend?
I wasn't going to be able to make it anyway, my wife ended up have to work this weekend with her schedule change. Plus, they were sold out when I look a month before

You'll have to let me know how it goes getting back out there again!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Sounds like you speak from experience, I hope not to shart myself
Unfortunately I am, 2 times from bike racing, 1 time from ski racing. Ribs aren't fun when you fuck them up, you don't realize how much movement goes on in your rib cage.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
Unfortunately I am, 2 times from bike racing, 1 time from ski racing. Ribs aren't fun when you fuck them up, you don't realize how much movement goes on in your rib cage.

That's the truth right there! Same for your neck. The right side of my neck down to my shoulder is always tight trying to compensate from an old injury. Sometimes I'll piss my neck muscles off and I can't even cough without it feeling like I'm being stabbed in the neck, not to mention how painful it is to move or sleep with. Want to do a quick check of your blind spot before changing lanes? Be prepared to rotate your entire upper body
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600

Ill revive an old thread just for fun...hows the rebuild coming? I wrecked at TWS on 5/13 outbraking myself at coming into turn 7 and still in the rebuild process. Where are you Texas folks located around?

I have some spare leftover parts from my build if needed and all I have left is to mount my pro-fiber upper and lower and then paint
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR1000R, 750, 600, and anything else with 2 wheels
Garage

Makin sweet sweet love to the earth, I will be using that.... almost makes me want to....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode