MSRH anyone been there? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Geesxara
  • 1 Post By tatersalad314
  • 1 Post By tatersalad314
  • 1 Post By El Fenix
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
IM THE BRONZE
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,336
MSRH anyone been there?

Motor Sports Ranch Houston (Angleton) has a track day coming up on June 2-3rd.
I think it's a 2.4ml track.
Thoughts on that track? good? Bad? Hows run off, smooth, chunky rocky? Basically just want to get any feedback I can before heading out there soon.

They have a few TD's at Texas world speedway , but that track is so messed up I'm not wasting my time.
Geesxara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

I've never been to it either. My friend who is an instructor for RideSmart has always had good things to say about MSRH and MSRC. TWS has seen better days. I dislike the giant curbs If you end up going, you'll have to let me know how it is.

Are you using RideSmart or is it through the track itself (if that's possible)?
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
IM THE BRONZE
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,336
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
I've never been to it either. My friend who is an instructor for RideSmart has always had good things to say about MSRH and MSRC. TWS has seen better days. I dislike the giant curbs If you end up going, you'll have to let me know how it is.

Are you using RideSmart or is it through the track itself (if that's possible)?
Yea, Ridesmart. I reached level 2 last time out at COTA, but I'll have to learn that track before I can pick up pace.

My last time out at Cota ran a 2.50 lap, Was only my second track day, but I've ridden a long time. (I should have been allowed to start with lvl2)Was told that's only 3-4 seconds off level 3 minimum there. Don't know if that's true or not. Also going back to Cota on July 1st. God I love that track.
El Fenix likes this.

Last edited by Geesxara; 04-26-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Geesxara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

RideSmart was great for my first couple of track days, but people got really stupid out there. Not to mention the fact that all of the instructors concluded that lvl 2 is the most dangerous group of the 3. You have some people who promote themselves from 1 to 2 who shouldn't, wanna be Rossis, and I'll leave it at that.. It's a shame that Lone Star Track Days closed shop. I liked them a lot more. But if I ever expect to get back out on those tracks, I'll have to put up with RS. I will say that I enjoyed their instructors!


I wouldn't have expected you to stay in lvl 1 with your experience. 1 is pretty slow, but for fundamental reasons. Glad you hit COTA though! I just can't justify dropping that much coin for one day right now. I get two days for 150/month. But it's nowhere NEARLY as nice Honestly, you should go to all of the tracks that you can. None of them are terrible and will only give you more experience. Plus, it's something different! In that way, you can find out what tracks you really like, or don't.
Geesxara likes this.

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600
Posts: 212
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

I have my first track day at TWS on May 13...keep hearing nothing but bad things haha but didnt want to spoil myself with COTA my first time around
marcadamski is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadamski View Post
I have my first track day at TWS on May 13...keep hearing nothing but bad things haha but didnt want to spoil myself with COTA my first time around
What level are you riding in? What bad things? For the most part, I absolutely love TWS. I think it's a very balanced track. It's not perfect, but it's better than the streets... And wheelie hill is bitchin
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600
Posts: 212
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
What level are you riding in? What bad things? For the most part, I absolutely love TWS. I think it's a very balanced track. It's not perfect, but it's better than the streets... And wheelie hill is bitchin
Ill be in level 1, this is my first track day so besides coming prepared, i have no idea what to expect while on track..new experience for sure! I have heard the surface is garbage but other than that a lot of people like it. I am definitely ready to knock my first one out the way though! Where are you traveling in from?
marcadamski is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadamski View Post
Ill be in level 1, this is my first track day so besides coming prepared, i have no idea what to expect while on track..new experience for sure! I have heard the surface is garbage but other than that a lot of people like it. I am definitely ready to knock my first one out the way though! Where are you traveling in from?
This is the great thing about RS, you'll probably have 3-4 instructors at hand and there will be a lead instructor who teaches the class in between sessions. During the session, an instructor will take on 2-3 riders and follow each one throughout, then provide feed back individually about their lines, body positioning, etc... My lead instructor actually filmed every session and would play footage from it. Everything that is provided is priceless to you on your first 1-2 track days.

You don't have to pair up with an instructor, you could take off solo. I highly encourage you not to. I watched 3 riders go down on my first track day in level 1 at TWS, and none of them paired themselves with an instructor. They could have all been prevented if they wanted to take the time to learn and use the resources at their disposal.

Your first 2 track days should be relatively slow. You need to focus on the basics, speed will come with saddle time. Most accidents that occur are because the rider went too fast and ran out of skill. Being an old track, there are imperfections obviously, but none of which that would be an issue, especially for the new track day goer.

I'm in San Antonio, but I won't be able to make it to TWS with everything I have going on. I'll be sticking to Harris Hill Raceway this year, more than likely. I'm heading out there on May 7, FINALLY.
El Fenix likes this.

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600
Posts: 212
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
This is the great thing about RS, you'll probably have 3-4 instructors at hand and there will be a lead instructor who teaches the class in between sessions. During the session, an instructor will take on 2-3 riders and follow each one throughout, then provide feed back individually about their lines, body positioning, etc... My lead instructor actually filmed every session and would play footage from it. Everything that is provided is priceless to you on your first 1-2 track days.

You don't have to pair up with an instructor, you could take off solo. I highly encourage you not to. I watched 3 riders go down on my first track day in level 1 at TWS, and none of them paired themselves with an instructor. They could have all been prevented if they wanted to take the time to learn and use the resources at their disposal.

Your first 2 track days should be relatively slow. You need to focus on the basics, speed will come with saddle time. Most accidents that occur are because the rider went too fast and ran out of skill. Being an old track, there are imperfections obviously, but none of which that would be an issue, especially for the new track day goer.

I'm in San Antonio, but I won't be able to make it to TWS with everything I have going on. I'll be sticking to Harris Hill Raceway this year, more than likely. I'm heading out there on May 7, FINALLY.
Yeah, I just joined their facebook group and seems like they repaved a lot and corrected some of the rough spots. I have been trying to get the wife to agree to get an RC390 as her bike......aka my new track bike, because I have heard thats the best way to run harris hill is on a smaller bike. Plus all the advantages to learning on a small bike.
marcadamski is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
IM THE BRONZE
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,336
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Rode Texas World Speedway Saturday. First, I like the layout. BUT
The class room for after session was tiny with tiny chairs, A/C sucked, it was a furnace in there after coming off a track.
Was so bad I didnt even go after 3 sessions.
The track pretty much sucked condition wise. Front straight was so rough you bounced everywhere.
But it was a good learning experience.
I learned COTA is awesome, going every chance I get.
Not going back to TWS, been there done that.

At least I wasnt the guy in our group that highsided and broke the upper half of his arm.
Must have sucked to get Hospital transport right before Mother's Day.
Geesxara is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
IM THE BRONZE
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,336
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

MSRH was fun, I only rode 1/2 day, rain moved in and got nasty. Rode too many years as bike only, dont enjoy rain, never have. I ride on a budget anyways, no sense adding more damage due to shitty weather.

I've heard Harris Hill has been totally repaved. I'm going to look into that.
Their ride days are mostly Sundays and Mondays, and my revolving work schedule will keep me out of that for like 3-4 weeks straight, then I get off those days again. Trying to weigh out if its worth it.
500.00 membership and 150.00 monthly dues is a head scratcher for me, because if I want to ride MSRH or COTA, the combined prices get stupid.

You almost have to dedicate yourself to only that track. I ride a 1000 and if that track is a small bike track, I might not do it.
Geesxara is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 12
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Cresson is decent but packed with Ridesmart folks most of the time. I started doing trackdays there. Looks into Eagle Canyon if you can deal with the bumps. A repave is coming in Spring.

I have several friends who often do MSRH and they like it. I'm in Dallas, so I havenT done it yet.

Also, RIP TWS.
Geesxara likes this.
El Fenix is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600
Posts: 212
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
MSRH was fun, I only rode 1/2 day, rain moved in and got nasty. Rode too many years as bike only, dont enjoy rain, never have. I ride on a budget anyways, no sense adding more damage due to shitty weather.

I've heard Harris Hill has been totally repaved. I'm going to look into that.
Their ride days are mostly Sundays and Mondays, and my revolving work schedule will keep me out of that for like 3-4 weeks straight, then I get off those days again. Trying to weigh out if its worth it.
500.00 membership and 150.00 monthly dues is a head scratcher for me, because if I want to ride MSRH or COTA, the combined prices get stupid.

You almost have to dedicate yourself to only that track. I ride a 1000 and if that track is a small bike track, I might not do it.
its a smaller track, but i know folks who drag elbow on liter bikes there...it doesnt have a good reputation as a track thats friendly to crash at like cota is. on their facebook group, a lot of people complain about them always changing the times they are open for motorcycles since its primarily for cars. if you sign up and need a friend, hit me up lol i dont have enough time off to warrant the membership, but i can fill in as a guest on occasion!!!
marcadamski is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
IM THE BRONZE
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,336
Re: MSRH anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadamski View Post
its a smaller track, but i know folks who drag elbow on liter bikes there...it doesnt have a good reputation as a track thats friendly to crash at like cota is. on their facebook group, a lot of people complain about them always changing the times they are open for motorcycles since its primarily for cars. if you sign up and need a friend, hit me up lol i dont have enough time off to warrant the membership, but i can fill in as a guest on occasion!!!
I'm going to physical therapy right now, tore bicep, had surgery. My season is probably done, unless there's a TD after November, highly doubtful. Gotta take the good with the bad and roll on. I'll be back and get even faster
(so you believing that shit? lmao)
Geesxara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome