Track Newbie - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750
Garage
Track Newbie

Well the bug bit. Ive done 2 days out at a local track here in San Marcos, TX that I am about to join. Its too good of a deal not too, 500.00 to join, then 150.00 a month with unlimited use on bike days.

My question is, what order should I spend money if I was you. Right now my bike (06 K6 750) is pretty much stock besides exhaust and power commander. I leaning towards plastics because I really dont wanna eff up my perfect OEM ones. Also really wanting to case covers, and rear sets. We have a great suspension shop here in San Antonio, and have considered doing suspension work too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Re: Track Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAvoltage View Post
Well the bug bit. Ive done 2 days out at a local track here in San Marcos, TX that I am about to join. Its too good of a deal not too, 500.00 to join, then 150.00 a month with unlimited use on bike days.

My question is, what order should I spend money if I was you. Right now my bike (06 K6 750) is pretty much stock besides exhaust and power commander. I leaning towards plastics because I really dont wanna eff up my perfect OEM ones. Also really wanting to case covers, and rear sets. We have a great suspension shop here in San Antonio, and have considered doing suspension work too.
What track is this?....Link?
Is this your everyday bike as well?
If so race glass wont be an option really, unless you can find a kit with headlight etc...
Any plastic body works will shatter on impact, that's why fiberglass is far better to repair.

I'd just get your suspension set up for starters. Depending on how quick you are depends on tires.
Most sport tires are fine when starting. Q3's, 2CT's etc...
What gear do you have for riding.
I'd get quality gloves, leathers and boots before spending too much on the bike.
Parts on bikes can be replaced, body parts cant.

Last edited by Geesxara; 04-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

Quote:

Nice! Welcome to the addiction. Where in San Antonio are you? I'm planning on going at the end of the month, send me a PM and we roll together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
What track is this?....Link?
Harris Hill Raceway (H2R)

It's a private track. Mostly used for cars, but they've been expanding their business for bikes out there. Probably not worth the drive all the way from Houston though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM
IM THE BRONZE

Whats the width of that track if I may ask?

Thanks Tater.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
Whats the width of that track if I may ask?

Thanks Tater.
I was about to describe it, but here's a video instead

This is a more recent one since they've repaved a few different parts that were in desperate need. It may also provide a better view of the track.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Why not spend the money on a track bike, instead?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:

Get the suspension set properly for your weight. Could involve getting the bike resprung.

Then, make the bike crash better. Plastics, clipons, and rearsets.

Then, make the bike stop better. Braided lines and good pads, plus a good bleed job with fresh, high-quality DOT4 fluid.

Then, make the bike grip better. Street/track hybrid tires if you don't have warmers, DOT race tires if you do.

That will take you all the way to Amateur road racing championships.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000, 2002 YZ-426f, 2007 CRF-450, 2005 C90T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Why not spend the money on a track bike, instead?
This. If you have the money to do bodywork, suspension, and some covers... look for a cheap, track-only bike to run.

You should never take a bike to the track that you aren't willing to set on fire and roast smores over. If it's gonna hurt seeing it totaled, you don't wanna take it.

But if you insist, SharkSkinz makes a set with light-cutouts so you can swap back and forth. I bought that set and ordered some zeuss-fasteners to use. Took about 8 minutes to swap out. Other than that, just have your suspension dialed in to your weight. Start with rebound and damping at a neutral setting. Go all the way in one direction, then count all the way to the other side and remember that number. Cut that number in half and that's how many clicks you should go back in the original direction.

That will be a good starting point. When you get faster and start feeling the bike over or understeer, get with a suspension guy at the track and he'll set you up right.

That's all you will need for a while. That bike should give you plenty to grow into. You'll probably see that the first thing you really *need* to do will be brake lines. The lines on these things are notorious for fading. Braided lines will be all you need for a while after that. Eventually, you will want to go with a new master and pads. Even further down the line... calipers (expensive as fuck).

But really, just set the suspension. That's the most important right off the bat. Everything else is designed past your ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode