Do you remember your first track day? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 14Likes
  • 1 Post By tatersalad314
  • 2 Post By le skid
  • 1 Post By kevinc
  • 1 Post By 8you4t
  • 2 Post By Carnage
  • 1 Post By stor
  • 1 Post By Mr. Bojangles
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 3 Post By XBD
  • 1 Post By tatersalad314

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
XBD
2 > 4

Motorcycle: L6 750
Garage
Do you remember your first track day?

Someone dropped out last minute, so I snagged a spot for TOMORROW at Jennings GP in Florida for my first track day
So stoked to get some real riding lessons and body position critique.
I have a feeling I'm going to become a track addict quick, my wallet is nervous... $$

Anyways, I'm just super excited so I thought I'd share and see if anyone has any good pointers or handy items to bring along with me.

My first tape job begins.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trackprep.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	495666  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600
Re: Do you remember your first track day?

Did you read this sticky? https://www.gixxer.com/forums/44-trac...ing-track.html

My first track day was last year and needless to say, it was full of mixed emotions. It's a HUGE learning experience. However, you may be disappointed to hear that your first 1-2 track days should be relatively slow. First, learn your lines. Then start incorporating body positioning. If you search through some of the older threads, you'll find Anthony D giving out that very same advice. After you get those two down, speed will come with saddle time. Also, go at your own pace. The moment you start trying to keep up with faster riders, although it may be temping at times, is when you could easily be pulled out of your skill level and down into the earth shortly after.

If there are instructors out there at your disposal like I had, take advantage of it. Every session I would trail an instructor who would show me lines and examples of BP and then he would follow me and provide feedback afterwards. This progress much easier and much faster. Actually, the head instructor followed most of us throughout the day and played the film for us to watch in between sessions. Here are some things I like to bring with me -

1. Water and gatorade - lots of it
2. Healthy snacks
3. A pop up tent/cover, if you have one
4. A fan, if you have a way to power it
5. A set of tools, tire pressure gauge, air compressor, extra motor oil

Make sure you do all of your prepping tonight so that way you can get out on the track first thing. Clean/lube your chain, check oil and brake fluid levels, etc... Go out, have a good time, learn, and meet people. I have met so many riders who are willing to help others out, regardless of experience.

Be sure to post about your time out there
XBD likes this.

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

I remember mine. My buddy dragged me screaming and kicking because I was afraid of crashing. How ironic. The progress I made on that first track day (it was actually a riding school class for track noobs) pretty-much doubled my riding skill and made me 1/2 as likely to crash.

As tater said, bring lots of water. You'll sweat your ass off if you're doing it right. Shade is good to rest-up under too.

Leave your ego at the door. Just enjoy the experience and don't worry about being fast. You'll get fast faster that way.

Congrats and enjoy!
tatersalad314 and XBD like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:48 PM
----------------

Motorcycle: 2008 SV650S
Garage

^^ Good advice here ^^

Riding the track is a blast, after all that's what these bikes were built for. Have fun man let us know how it goes.
XBD likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:29 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

I can remember mine , I thought I was a fast rider ... then I hit the track and realised I was slow AF !!!

Biggest thing I learnt was to be smooth ... and learning to dissect the corner into sections , which was a game changer for me .
XBD likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:41 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Yes! My first track day was also at Jennings GP about 14 years ago. My college roommate at the time was nice enough to loan me his 600 to do it. I took a racing class and ended up getting my CCS competition license the same day. Truthfully not as big of a deal as it sounds. My second track day was at Jennings as well. Just watch out for turn 8. For some reason, newbies don't like the tight left handed turn 8 after having been brought in slightly hot from turn 7.

Unfortunately I was too broke to do anymore track days after that so I said fuck it and started racing. My subsequent "track days" were just morning practices.

As a first timer, just remember to hold your line and enjoy yourself. There's almost too much to embrace on the first day to be any kind of fast so just enjoy the moment. It's the second, third, forth time out where things get interesting.
tatersalad314 and XBD like this.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Squid

Idd ! hold your line 😁
XBD likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Biggest thing I learnt was to be smooth ....
^ learned that from Howard.
8you4t likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Enter the turn as fast as possible, then brake when you see god.
XBD likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
XBD
2 > 4

Motorcycle: L6 750
Garage

OH MY FUCKING GAWD,

THAT.....

WAS....

SOFA KING....

AWESOME!

First off, huge shout out to the Florida State Police Department and the Florida Department of Transportation for having a "first track day" program and sponsoring me for it! They cover most the costs, had full gear for me to borrow, and have a crew of racers and super knowledgeable people that were with us the entire day critiquing my form, lines, flow, body position, video critiques, etc. That program really is the bee's knees and if anyone around Tallahassee has not been to their first track day, contact them through facebook and experience your bike like you never have! (or ever will on the streets.)

Holy shit that was fun. I'm addicted already. My bank account is about to hate me.

So I'm new to riding (just got over the 5,000 miles marker), so I've been basically teaching myself and watching butt loads of videos. But definitely still a noob. (Not a squid, a noob..huge difference). Getting real lessons, from actual racers was game changing. My only real advice I'd gotten before was from my motorcycle endorsement class instructor, who rides a cruiser. and OH MAN is there a difference.

I feel like a changed man when it comes to riding now, in my riding skills, but also in my sense of where to get my need for speed out.. The track, not the streets.

Anyways, just got the bike back on its' stand in my living room and cracked open a cold beer.

Life is fucking good.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	495762   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	495770   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	495778   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	495786  
8you4t, kevinc and tatersalad314 like this.

______Don't take life so serious.______
Instagram: XBD_
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

Welcome to the addiction

Glad to hear it was a great time! The week after my first track day I took mine out on the streets to hit my usual routes. I think I rode 2-3 miles and turned around to head back home. There is just no comparison for the track. Some people may stick to both street and track, but I couldn't. It does hurt the bank account though In fact, my wife is the one making me spend what I need to prep my bike for this season, I couldn't bring myself to do it yet! But you better know she's forcing me tonight, or she threatened to order things herself. Might as well get the right stuff to begin with

Body positioning takes time. It's not natural to hang off the side of a moving object lol. Get more saddle time, stick with the instructors, and reap the benefits. Happy you got out there and got to get a taste of this awesome sport
XBD likes this.

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode