Gear ratios per track guide - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zammerhammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage
Gear ratios per track guide

I'm sure a lot of guys have done a lot of gear ration adjusting for different tracks.

I've been told in the past that you want to top out your ratio just past 3/4's after the longest straight.

Is that even comparable to the real world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 03 GSXR-600
Garage
Re: Gear ratios per track guide

I think generally street gearing is a little too tall (made for mileage) to be optimal for track use. Usually people like a -1 on the front and +2 on the rear while converting to a 520 pitch chain - this is a decent 'all around', but tracks with longer straights or those that are more technical might want taller or shorter.

Another consideration is rear squat under drive - bigger rear sprockets mean more squat when you're on the gas hard. As a result a lot of the R6 guys I see at the track going -2/-2 which is pretty close to -1/+2. My 750 has a -2/stock rear, that's a little aggressive but I'm going to see how it feels in the spring.
LiferSBKRider likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Provisional Novice

Re: Gear ratios per track guide

Question on same concept.

for my track, on my +2 rear sprocket, I can do 265kph on the longest straight before I have to slow down.
1) Now considering -1 front +2 rear, but, I dont know if this shorter gearing will actually make me gain speed on the longest straight?
As opposed to, would it only make me reach 265kph quicker?

2) Should I gear short enough to hit the limiter the moment I reach top speed on the longest straight?
I.E. if I top out at 265kph, should I gear to be at 6 gear hitting the limiter at 265kph? Or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode