Body Position Practice - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Body Position Practice

I attended my second track weekend at NJMP but this time at Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is by far my most favorite so far and it was crazy fun.

I placed my gopro camera behind me, as someone here suggested, so I can see my body position during the turns. To say the least it is embarrassing. I could have sworn that my body was hanging off my bike like Rossi, but from the video it looks like I barely had a butt cheek off the seat. LOL. So I definitely need a lot of practice...

I've been wanting to practicing leaning body positions in my garage but it always feels like I'm going to tip my bike over even when its on the stands. I use Trackside front and rear stands in case that matters. Is there a special stand that is more secure for what I'm trying to do? Also, is this the best way to practice when off the track?

Many thanks in advance for the help!
arelex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
I felt the same way about myself

Never had a problem with practicing on the stands. In fact, my first track day the head instructor took us to his bike and had each one of us hop on it and demonstrate our BP so he could critique us.

Might I add that practicing on stands feels very, very awkward with out the lateral G forces at play.
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:50 PM
MotoGP
 
Anthony D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey
Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Posts: 73,190
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Don't practice BP on stands.

Practice BP on the track.

Anthony D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
I felt the same way about myself

Never had a problem with practicing on the stands. In fact, my first track day the head instructor took us to his bike and had each one of us hop on it and demonstrate our BP so he could critique us.

Might I add that practicing on stands feels very, very awkward with out the lateral G forces at play.
thanks for the info. Do you recall if the instructor had both the front and rear stands or just one?
arelex is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Don't practice BP on stands.

Practice BP on the track.

Yes for sure! I'm hoping to do both
arelex is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 AM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
 
bueshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Motorcycle: K1 600
Posts: 1,375
Re: Body Position Practice

He had us up on both stands. But when I have done it in my garage, I've only had the rear wheel on the stand.

Get to the track for the real practice
bueshy is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by arelex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
I felt the same way about myself

Never had a problem with practicing on the stands. In fact, my first track day the head instructor took us to his bike and had each one of us hop on it and demonstrate our BP so he could critique us.

Might I add that practicing on stands feels very, very awkward with out the lateral G forces at play.
thanks for the info. Do you recall if the instructor had both the front and rear stands or just one?
Both stands, but it was only to get an idea of where you should put your body on the bike. The best thing you can do is get more time in the saddle. The more time you spend on the bike the more natural it will feel.
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Here are some examples of my BP. LOL. The one pic with the coach in front of me was when I was setting up for the turn and then the other pic is during the turn. I need some serious work. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unspecified.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	459586   Click image for larger version

Name:	unspecified2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	459594  
smudger63 likes this.
arelex is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelex View Post
Here are some examples of my BP. LOL. The one pic with the coach in front of me was when I was setting up for the turn and then the other pic is during the turn. I need some serious work. LOL

You need to exaggerate your movements. It's going to feel uncomfortable at first but you'll become better. Seat time


At least you don't look like this guy


tatersalad314 is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
 
bueshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Motorcycle: K1 600
Posts: 1,375
Re: Body Position Practice

^^^^That guy was at TWS?

OP, dont be so hard on yourself. At least you didnt crash. You just need more time and practice

Sit on the bike while it is on at least the rear stand and lean and figure how your body feels hanging off the bike and how you fit on the bike while you are leaning. Everyone has different things that they do and thats why no ones BP is the same. But you have to know how you feel on the bike to at least be comfortable enough to do it on the track, IMO.
bueshy is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
 
d207gp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bay Area Norcal
Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR, '13 Ducati MTS 1200
Posts: 5,361
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
At least you don't look like this guy

https://youtu.be/0ZDbPaWCvtg
I cross-posted that to another moto forum. Reactions were incredulous.
d207gp is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Murvil, TN
Motorcycle: 600RR, ST1300, FZ09, GSX-R 750
Posts: 70
Re: Body Position Practice

I'm an Instructor with STT and as part of the Novice group, we have four classroom session...one of which is the body position seminar. An Instructor's bike is placed on a front and rear stand, the Lead Instructor demonstrates the basics of good body position, and we always have an Instructor stationed at the front and rear of the bike to make sure that there is no tip over. For the lighter weight riders, it's not an issue, but for someone that is a "full growed adult", the bike may want to try and tip off of the stands...thus the Instructors both front and rear.
xxrated is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
^^^^That guy was at TWS?

.

Yep, that was at TWS. Saw it posted on another forum
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Keller, Tx
Motorcycle: 07 GSXR750 / KTM380 / CBR600RR
Posts: 34
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrated View Post
I'm an Instructor with STT and as part of the Novice group, we have four classroom session...one of which is the body position seminar. An Instructor's bike is placed on a front and rear stand, the Lead Instructor demonstrates the basics of good body position, and we always have an Instructor stationed at the front and rear of the bike to make sure that there is no tip over. For the lighter weight riders, it's not an issue, but for someone that is a "full growed adult", the bike may want to try and tip off of the stands...thus the Instructors both front and rear.
Man you answered a question I had before I could ask. I'm going to ride Barber and little Taladaga in Aug and was not sure if you all did classroom sessions or what not.
As far as body position goes, practice practice practice. Your head should look like you are looking into the mirror of your bike it it was there, half your butt cheek off the seat and the inside hand should look like you were holding on to a screw driver. Your spine should be parallel with the center line of the bike. Slow steady turns of the throttle, clutch and break and it will all come together in no time. Don't go out there looking or worrying about getting a knee down, let it happen naturally as your speed increases.. Besides pucks get expensive the faster you wear them out.
GixxerRocket is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerRocket View Post
Besides pucks get expensive the faster you wear them out.

My friend has 1-2 scrapes on his pucks from the past 4 years or so. He's one of those guys who tucks his knee in while hanging off. Looks weird as hell but works for him!
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
You need to exaggerate your movements. It's going to feel uncomfortable at first but you'll become better. Seat time

At least you don't look like this guy

https://youtu.be/0ZDbPaWCvtg
Holy crap! Yes, this made me feel better. haha
arelex is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrated View Post
I'm an Instructor with STT and as part of the Novice group, we have four classroom session...one of which is the body position seminar. An Instructor's bike is placed on a front and rear stand, the Lead Instructor demonstrates the basics of good body position, and we always have an Instructor stationed at the front and rear of the bike to make sure that there is no tip over. For the lighter weight riders, it's not an issue, but for someone that is a "full growed adult", the bike may want to try and tip off of the stands...thus the Instructors both front and rear.

I'm a short fellow but I do weight 180 lbs without my gear, so maybe I will have a buddy hold up the bike just in case. LOL.

Where is STT? maybe I can signup with you folks? I live in South Jersey.
arelex is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerRocket View Post
Man you answered a question I had before I could ask. I'm going to ride Barber and little Taladaga in Aug and was not sure if you all did classroom sessions or what not.
As far as body position goes, practice practice practice. Your head should look like you are looking into the mirror of your bike it it was there, half your butt cheek off the seat and the inside hand should look like you were holding on to a screw driver. Your spine should be parallel with the center line of the bike. Slow steady turns of the throttle, clutch and break and it will all come together in no time. Don't go out there looking or worrying about getting a knee down, let it happen naturally as your speed increases.. Besides pucks get expensive the faster you wear them out.
Nice tips. Thanks I'll keep this for reference. I'm not trying to get my knee down. I don't care for that. I just want to handle turns well and I definitely wasn't with my current BP. This will help though. many thanks.
arelex is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Jersey
Motorcycle: 15 GSXR 750, 09 GSXR 750, Ninja 300
Posts: 70
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

I forget, but do you push or pull when you counter steer on the track?
arelex is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:13 PM
MotoGP
 
Anthony D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey
Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Posts: 73,190
Garage
Re: Body Position Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelex View Post
I forget, but do you push or pull when you counter steer on the track?
Both...
Anthony D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome